Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,709,327 times

Advertisements

I am actually kind of surprised that no one has started a thread like this yet on the WI forums.

What a crazy weather weekend. It started for me (work Downtown Milwaukee and reside in Greendale 8 miles away southwest) while outdoors in Downtown during the workday afternoon on Friday with intense storm clouds coming into the Downtown area and tornado sirens filling the air. Tons of folks Downtown outside of their offices just staring up at the skies. With reports of folks being able to see a funnel cloud near St. Francis from the Hoan Bridge, things were kind of intense.

Then, surely Saturday was crazy, and Sunday wasn't much better.

Fortunately, my home only has a crawl space, not a basement (I am in the minority in WI in that I have learned to be happy to NOT have a basement) and thus, with the exception of a few small leaks in an addition my house has, not real water damage. I am reading of, and hearing of, accounts of so many people with significant water damage / basement flooding etc. - ugh.

Anyone have stories weather-related from the weekend they wish to share? Photos? (I wish I had my camera with me last night...an amazing storm system - really spooky looking - rolled in last night).

Hope everyone stayed safe and relatively dry!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,124 times
Was just watching some news footage of a home in the Dells that was literally swept away. Whole house (and it was a big one, not a little cabin), slid down an embankment and into the rushing water, then carried off downstream.

I can't even imagine what the homeowners must have been feeling . I hope they are all ok.

I also feel for the kids whose graduations were canceled this weekend. Our son's graduation was Saturday morning and the weather was glorious. By evening, however, we were hunkered down in the basement watching a battery powered TV by flashlight.

What with the rising water, it's not over yet.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Was just watching some news footage of a home in the Dells that was literally swept away. Whole house (and it was a big one, not a little cabin), slid down an embankment and into the rushing water, then carried off downstream.

I can't even imagine what the homeowners must have been feeling . I hope they are all ok.

I also feel for the kids whose graduations were canceled this weekend. Our son's graduation was Saturday morning and the weather was glorious. By evening, however, we were hunkered down in the basement watching a battery powered TV by flashlight.

What with the rising water, it's not over yet.
We just watched those homes floating away too. I can't imagine either, just awful. We're in Iowa where it's flooded too, especially to the north. Wisconsin is "home" for us and thankfully none of my family is flooded out of their homes. It's just so devestating to see such familiar territory completely submerged in water.

Keeping our thoughts to everyone back home and that you are all safe.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM

431 posts, read 1,641,189 times
We were watching the news saw some of the homes floating down the river and my heart just goes out to the homeowners. we were lucky and only lost our first crop of hay which is chump change compared to the ones who have lost there homes. I will continue to keep them in our prayers.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:43 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,523,852 times
It all stayed south, the heavy stuff anyways. Up north here we had some rain and then sun this weekend. Guess we are getting the moisture been lacking last few years and the soil cannot handle it all and has to go somewhere.
Hopefully even though just the start of the season not get any worse than already has.
Lightning strike pictures are great as long as careful when do it.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
Us residents in Portage are really feeling the effects of the Lake Delton drain. We had parts of homes flowing right past us along the river. The river is very very high. Then you get to the rural areas North of Portage and they never and I mean never flood. This year they did. We had so many bridges out that I lost count. I've never seen anything this bad. We had two tornadoes not to far from here and now we have flooding.

Yikes!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,772,986 times
We spend most of May - Sept in Lake Delton ... we were actually up there this weekend, but came home early Sunday due to all the rain... and who the heck wants to be in a trailer park [RV Park] during a tornado ... so we bailed.

We are just heart sick by what we have been seeing on the internet [news clips] of the lake, the destruction of homes and what is yet to come... as it all floats down river.

When we were out on Saturday... trying our best to dodge the storms, i did not have my camera with me... wish i would have grabbed it, as we saw the most amazing [scary] cloud formations and torrential rains.

I recall hearing on the radio ... that if you are in a car, to get out and lay in a ditch. DH and I looked out the window thinking... we'd drown as all the 'ditches' were deep running water.

Fields that had no water an hour earlier was a small lake when we were on our way back... this was along Rte 12 from Prairie du Sac, back thru Baraboo and back to Lake Delton.

We will be back up there on Thursday... I'm sure we will go to the lake, that is no longer filled with water.... as one of our favorite restaurants is on the lake... but guess we can't take "A", like we usually do.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
These pictures I took today of some flooding areas.
The first one is of a local creek. It usually calm, this is what happens when a dam fails. (Below)

It's a huge mess. My heart goes out to those who are affected by all these weather woes.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,709,327 times
Default Lake D. thoughts

The photos and scenes of Lake D. are just incredible indeed. Just amazing.

My only solace to those that lost their homes there is that Lake D. is pretty much an area geared towards vacation homes / second homes. Thus, I believe the homes that were lost were not people's primary homes...their 2nd / getaway homes.

Don't get me wrong. Obviously that is still a tremendous loss. If I owned something as big and beautiful as those homes for a 2nd home on such a scenic setting, beyond the financial impacts of losing a home like that, but also the emotional impacts, it would still be massive. However, at least it isn't like - for some small solace - that those homes were "all those people had"...unlike some of these homes in MKE / Waukesha / Racine / Kenosha Counties where HUGE damage is blowing away people's homes and possessions from such major flooding.

As for Lake D. itself, I am amazed at what happened, and still don't fully comprehend it. For those unfamiliar, this was a big man-made lake. Due to flooding, essentially in a 20 minute span or so, the entire lake drained / washed away. Seriously, pretty much now it is all bare / empty. I have never heard of anything like it. Boats are just now plopped on empty sand. Piers lead to nowhere but a big empty sand bowl. It is incredible.

More rains are projected off-and-on this week. Let's hope that "off" is more the norm. I moved back here in August of this past year when massive flooding was going on, and here we are with another round of massive flooding. It is amazing as the Southwest where I came from could use often moisture so much, and here, we just have had far, far too much over the past 10 months or so.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,772,986 times
>>we just have had far, far too much over the past 10 months or so.

isn't that the truth... the snow finally melted in April ... our park still had huge snow piles, from being plowed ... still on the ground in the second week of April.
And i had heard they had about 130" of snow this year.

we had tons of damage from the heavy snow ... but insurance is covering most. [Our unit was fine though]

so... the water was just so saturate from ALL the precipitation they've gotten since last November.

Josh -- nice pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin