U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 PM
 
27,739 posts, read 23,037,022 times
Reputation: 7739

Advertisements

A colder climate would actually be a plus, but whether or not one would fit in, well, one would have to go visit the place to find out. I personally don't know because I have never been to Appleton. Judging from Appleton's history, it was a sundown town. I don't know how things are today. It obviously isn't a sundown town today, but have race relations become much better? One will only have to go and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Texas, Finally!
5,231 posts, read 7,775,005 times
Reputation: 2197
So computerblue,

Are you going to visit Appleton and Madison before deciding? I am in the mind to relocate away from my current hell, and I love Wisconsin, but the winters concern me. After being away from Chicago winters for a good 20 years, I don't know if I could slip back into that mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
 
27 posts, read 44,584 times
Reputation: 10
OK, folks! I need your help. I know you are going back and forth about Maddison v. Milwaulkee, but I am seriously thinking of relocating to Appleton. I am a World Language teacher at the high school level (Spanish). What can you tell me about Appleton? What can I expect as far as income (9 years experienc) with all proper credetials, etc. I have two children, 13 and 11. Can anyone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
 
27,739 posts, read 23,037,022 times
Reputation: 7739
This is what I can say. I have HEARD, not known, but have heard that there are many whites in Wisconsin who would rather not have blacks move to Wisconsin because they feel like blacks have ruined places like Milwaukee, Racine, etc. This is what I have heard from some people. One the one hand, I would not be totally surprised because contrary to its "liberal" record, Wisconsin had its share of sundown towns and Appleton was among them. On the other hand, not everyone is like that either. All I can say is that if you are black, you will find prejudice wherever you go in this nation. If you are white, you will find prejudice too. No matter who you are, you are going to find someone who is prejudice or bigoted against you. Wisconsin is not the exception to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,950 posts, read 1,990,613 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SongBird1 View Post
OK, folks! I need your help. I know you are going back and forth about Maddison v. Milwaulkee, but I am seriously thinking of relocating to Appleton. I am a World Language teacher at the high school level (Spanish). What can you tell me about Appleton? What can I expect as far as income (9 years experienc) with all proper credetials, etc. I have two children, 13 and 11. Can anyone help me out?
I think you will do just fine in Appleton, WI. Its demographics are ever changing and the schools definitely need more teachers who speak/teach Spanish

Don't let pirate_lafitte try to scare you away with tales of Wisconsin's sundown towns. Many cities had rules like that in the past, some existed all the way up until the 60's and 70's. Other examples of sundown towns include Glendale, CA (near Los Angeles); Warren, MI (near Detroit); Parma, OH (near Cleveland); La Jolla, CA (near San Diego); Greenbelt, MD (near DC); and Levittown, NY (on Long Island). It's a sad but true element of our past, but its in the past. Come see for yourself. Appleton is a great little city and consistently ranks among the safest metro areas in the entire nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,950 posts, read 1,990,613 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
A colder climate would actually be a plus, but whether or not one would fit in, well, one would have to go visit the place to find out. I personally don't know because I have never been to Appleton. Judging from Appleton's history, it was a sundown town. I don't know how things are today. It obviously isn't a sundown town today, but have race relations become much better? One will only have to go and see.
You live in Georgia, the Capitol of the Confederacy. Where do you get off bashing Appleton or Wisconsin for that matter? How many lynchings and cross burnings is Georgia responsible for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,656 posts, read 58,119,052 times
Reputation: 25733
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is what I can say. I have HEARD, not known, but have heard that there are many whites in Wisconsin who would rather not have blacks move to Wisconsin because they feel like blacks have ruined places like Milwaukee, Racine, etc. This is what I have heard from some people. One the one hand, I would not be totally surprised because contrary to its "liberal" record, Wisconsin had its share of sundown towns and Appleton was among them. On the other hand, not everyone is like that either. All I can say is that if you are black, you will find prejudice wherever you go in this nation. If you are white, you will find prejudice too. No matter who you are, you are going to find someone who is prejudice or bigoted against you. Wisconsin is not the exception to the rule.
What the hell is your obsession with "sundown towns?" There haven't been actual "sundown towns" for like 50 years now, yet you keep mentioning it in post after post after post no matter how tenuously connected to the thread topic. Attitudes and demographics change a TON in 50 years, so why keep bringing it up and smearing towns with it 50 years later, as if anyone in these places had anything to do with policies from half a century ago? In fact you're so enamored with the concept that this is the second time you've mentioned this gratuitous little fact about Appleton in this thread alone. Get over it already. This is 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,310,075 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is what I can say. I have HEARD, not known, but have heard that there are many whites in Wisconsin who would rather not have blacks move to Wisconsin because they feel like blacks have ruined places like Milwaukee, Racine, etc. This is what I have heard from some people. One the one hand, I would not be totally surprised because contrary to its "liberal" record, Wisconsin had its share of sundown towns and Appleton was among them. On the other hand, not everyone is like that either. All I can say is that if you are black, you will find prejudice wherever you go in this nation. If you are white, you will find prejudice too. No matter who you are, you are going to find someone who is prejudice or bigoted against you. Wisconsin is not the exception to the rule.
This thread is bizarre. I can't believe people are actually having this discussion. I mean, how can an ENTIRE state be labeled unwelcoming to any one race? Sure, there are bound to be individuals who are bigotted toward blacks, but to try and ascertain as to whether an entire state's (or city's) population is welcoming or unwelcoming to blacks, is ridiculous.

Pick the city you think you would be most happy living in. Move there, and live your life to the fullest. If you encounter biggots (which, as you say above, is inevitable no matter where you live), then you deal with it in the best way you deem fit.

Personally, I think presenting yourself to your potential new neighbors by right off the bat asking if we're biggoted, is bad judgment on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
 
27 posts, read 44,584 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks so much for the info, jjacobeclark. I must say, finding out about the "sundown town" thing totally freaked me out! I mean, I am a mixed person (Native American, French Canadian, Cherokee and Puerto Rican and Dutch), and I grew up in a white, suburban town. I had to deal with my share of racism. Ours was the only non-white family in the town for most of my life!(no seriously, the ONLY one!) But I never heard, or had to face anything like that. I also worry for my girls. I wouldn't want to put them in a bad situation, where they would be mocked or riduculed. About Milwaukee; is it really as bad as I'm reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I think you will do just fine in Appleton, WI. Its demographics are ever changing and the schools definitely need more teachers who speak/teach Spanish

Don't let pirate_lafitte try to scare you away with tales of Wisconsin's sundown towns. Many cities had rules like that in the past, some existed all the way up until the 60's and 70's. Other examples of sundown towns include Glendale, CA (near Los Angeles); Warren, MI (near Detroit); Parma, OH (near Cleveland); La Jolla, CA (near San Diego); Greenbelt, MD (near DC); and Levittown, NY (on Long Island). It's a sad but true element of our past, but its in the past. Come see for yourself. Appleton is a great little city and consistently ranks among the safest metro areas in the entire nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
 
27 posts, read 44,584 times
Reputation: 10
Hey, FormerCalforniaGirl! I'm not making any judgments agaist you. I'm the first to say that I don't know anything about you. I just know what racism is like. My parents had to ask their would-be-neighbors if they would object to us being their new (non-white) neighbors! I'm not making this up? Can you say the same? Have you deposited $$ into your bank account, and practically had to leave a DNA sample, because the teller just couldn't seem to wrap their brain around the idea of a non-white person earning money honestly? I have. Have you tried to buy something nice (and ok, maybe a bit costly), and had to clerk look at you and say, "You do realize that that costs $xxx.xxx, right?" Such encounters tend to make one's antennae go up, at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top