U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM

26 posts, read 56,232 times
I decided to read this thread because my husband (who is White) will be working a contract for two months in Milwaukee, and I thought it'd be nice to fly up to spend some weekends there with him (I am not White). I had no idea of the racial tension up there. I was born and raised in California and have since lived in various States in the country (west, south and mid-west). I choose to live in places that are predominantly White because I find the people (Black and White) to be more pleasant in these areas; and I also enjoy educating the lesser-educated Whites that Blacks are, indeed, human just like them.

I realize urban-Blacks get a bad rap just like trailer-Whites do; however, we do not generalize *all* Whites into the trailer trash category. Unfortunately, *all* Blacks tend to be generalized into the urban ghetto category. I've grown sick and tired of seeing Blacks on television who speak English categorized as being "articulate." And that's usually accompanied by the shocked look on a White person's face and the "Oh, my, he's so articulate!" I even heard that said of our President Barak Obama. One of the members in this thread even mentioned that if you're Black and can speak English, you'll be fine.

Anyway, I didnít mean to digress.... I just was surprised at the racial segregation in Milwaukee, so I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to spend weekends up there.

On a lighter note, if we ever decided to move to Wisconsin, I'm glad to hear Appleton is a pretty cool place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 PM

565 posts, read 887,387 times
Vidyapati what racial tension did you witness? The majority of my time at work is spent in black neighborhoods and I experince little racial tension. Things happen time to time, but they are rare. It sounds to me that you have little experience dealing with urban blacks more than anything else. Many people, in the inner city, walk around with a veneer of toughness. They act this way towards everyone. You will find this attitude in any large city ghetto. It's easily to interpert this as racial tension, but really it's just how life is growing up in the hood.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:56 PM

Default re: "racial tension"

I was just commenting on what I read in this thread. I was just surprised at the racial issues that I was reading about. "Racial tension?" ... perhaps I should have called it something else. Dunno.

And, yeah, I have not spent very much time in urban areas. (Shows that bad, eh?) I'm a country gal myself. Live and let live. Right now I'm looking for a place to buy in the country with some acreage... just haven't decided on which State I want to live in yet.

With my husband moving all over the US, it gives me an awesome opportunity to live in some wonderful States. I gotta say, however, I really, really loved living in Iowa even though I was the only person with brown skin in the small city we lived. (I'm sure there were others... I just never saw 'em.)

Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 PM

565 posts, read 887,387 times
If your looking to live in a rural area and you have the entire USA to pick from I would choose rural Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine. It is awesome. Good Luck.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Default re: rural New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
If your looking to live in a rural area and you have the entire USA to pick from I would choose rural Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine. It is awesome. Good Luck.
OH! Tell me about it!! I fell in love with New Hampshire... even found a place I'd love to buy.... THEN I DISCOVERED THEIR PROPERTY TAX ! Had we bought that house, we'd be paying $18,000/year in property taxes!!!!! What, is this a test!!? I didn't fall in love with New Hampshire THAT much! And I hear it is the same with all of the New England States. But, yeah, it's very beautiful. I guess you just gotta rent there and not own.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,328 times
Thank you for the response to my question. I do hope folks are open. As far as a job, I have to take my chances.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
Appleton is a cool place - I am middle eastern and have been living in Appletown (like my dad used to say) for 12 years. If i could convince my family to move here, I would stay here forever...People are friendly, inclusive, education is great, open to diversity and just enjoy the values by which they live or aspire to live by.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM

25,228 posts, read 20,294,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnouchigTransplant View Post
Appleton is a cool place - I am middle eastern and have been living in Appletown (like my dad used to say) for 12 years. If i could convince my family to move here, I would stay here forever...People are friendly, inclusive, education is great, open to diversity and just enjoy the values by which they live or aspire to live by.
You had a good experience.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,064 times
Default Being black in Milwaukee

If your young and a college grad and white then Milwaukee is the place for you. If your black and a college grad regardless of going to Yale or anywhere your truly up the creek, you can expect to get paid $12 a hour and since this is a fire at will state your butt is out the door anyway sooner or later. You know the old saying about being black "you have to do twice as much just to break even" not in Milwaukee, you can think your going somewhere but in all my years I have never seen a black head of nothing last more than a few years, had a black chief of police did a great job cleaning up the streets, fired
had a black head of school board did a great job with the school your fired.
The reason the chief of police got fired was because as the mayor said "stop crime" like no criminal is being feed from a baby bottle right now. Did not matter he locked up 3 complete gangs. You move here your trapped you wont make enough money to rent a truck to leave.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,365 times
I am an Asian Indian and live near appleton. I have not seen any racial thing- people are nice and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin