U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM

322 posts, read 409,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jev View Post
It's really not cool to talk about politics at work, especially if you are in a white collar environment. It's also very uncool if the talk is unsolicited.
Well, you see, there is the difference then. In Boston, is not 'uncool'; we talk of current events, history, politics, poetry, music etc. and if we disagree (not all are liberal there), is fine - we debate but also respect each other. Our topics are not limited to sports, family and weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:24 AM

3,058 posts, read 8,135,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Well, you see, there is the difference then. In Boston, is not 'uncool'; we talk of current events, history, politics, poetry, music etc. and if we disagree (not all are liberal there), is fine - we debate but also respect each other. Our topics are not limited to sports, family and weather.
I don't know, gortamor...it might just be the group of coworkers you are with, etc., then, as while there isn't a ton of political banter in my office (and honestly haven't heard any poetry talk either), these others have been talked about pretty freely and loosely - current events, history, music, etc. I think you'd find plenty of this in MKE metro too...it might just be the group of folks you have found thus far?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM

375 posts, read 880,177 times
There isn't a place that we have lived that I would want to talk about politics at work. A few passing comments might be Ok. I belong to a book club in WI so we discuss books, poetry etc.
I have learned a lot about the history of the areas that we travelled to just by talking to the locals. I was at the winery in Algoma recently and learned so much about the people who settled the area and the history of wine making there.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,860,022 times
There have been a million conversations on this lately - if you're not a WI native, you may have a hard time fitting in here. That's just the way it is a lot of the time.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM

395 posts, read 1,224,046 times
A lot depends on your work environment. I worked for awhile for a mid-sized (200 employee) firm in Milwaukee's suburbs and it was a stifling environment. Conversations revolved around things like camping and whose kid did better than whose kid in youth sports that year. I hated it. The company had a culture of macho "my car is bigger than your car" type stuff, and in that kind of environment you're best to steer clear of substantive topics of conversation like politics.

Where I work now is totally different. I'm part of a diverse staff where we have stimulating and honest conversations all the time about politics, culture, etc. It's like night day from my old job.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:45 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,545,768 times
Quote:
I'm a conservative and I wouldn't talk politics in Boston. Almost everyone I'd come in contact with would be some shade of liberal and it would be exhausting. Talking about things you can agree on is a much better way to introduce yourself and make friends.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM

10,591 posts, read 18,050,740 times
You need to make more of an effort to find like-minded people. It's usually a good idea to avoid talking politics at work, but you should be able to figure out who the lefties or righties are by dropping hints. Then catch a drink with them after work and have a ball.

Suburban Milwaukee can be a lot more provincial than suburban Boston. Chicago and Minneapolis are probably a little closer culturally to what you had out east, though Minnesotans are known for being super polite. Chicago... not so much.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM

322 posts, read 409,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I'm a conservative and I wouldn't talk politics in Boston. Almost everyone I'd come in contact with would be some shade of liberal and it would be exhausting. Talking about things you can agree on is a much better way to introduce yourself and make friends.
There are many conservatives in Boston, and I have had heated, albeit civil, debates with them. Thing is, we respected that we saw things differently because we knew that we cared passionately about these issues that ultimately determine the nation's future.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,545,768 times
Quote:
There are many conservatives in Boston, and I have had heated, albeit civil, debates with them. Thing is, we respected that we saw things differently because we knew that we cared passionately about these issues that ultimately determine the nation's future.
I have no doubt that you've talked to as many conservatives as you could find who were willing to talk politics with you.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM

65 posts, read 248,034 times
I feel everyone has different experiences and their experiences may not be the same for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin