U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM

748 posts, read 1,293,642 times
Smile Small town preferences?

Ok, what is everybody's preferences for the size of town/city to live in? I'll start.
I like the quieter, slower pace of life in rural areas. I also prefer being where I can see woods, hills everyday out my windows or at least within walking distance. I also prefer a small town community. Necessity dictates that I also have to live near a source of good jobs and shopping. So my perfect home is on the outskirts or within a couple miles of a small town of 1-5000 people or so. But that also has to be within a half hour to an hour drive of a city of 50-100,000 people for jobs, shopping and occasional outings.
Of course that is in a perfect world and I prefer it to be in the northern half of Wisconsin as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-07-2008, 10:49 AM

4,194 posts, read 9,675,967 times
geekdue, I can blame you for choosing the northern part of the state.. It sure is nice up there. I would have to say maybe 10 minutes from a town of 5,000 people and then at least 45 minutes to a city of 30,000 people. I think that would offer enough shopping, grocery options etc.... I think maybe in the Driftless area of SW Wisconsin.

Unread 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM

197 posts, read 300,379 times
As I age smaller town living looks better. I do also know myself well enough to know I need a bit more then a couple of pubs and a Wal-Mart near by. Hopefully that does not sound arrogant. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy and I don't need a opera near by. 30,000+ was too small a few years ago, but it's sounding better everyday. JoshB I looked at your photo albums WOW. Very nice. My youngest would do anything to live out like that. I still don't know if I could.

Unread 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Tim, I love living where I do... My friends ask me how I can be so simple? I just love the country, I actually live on the outskirts of town...The city just annexxed the land around here so now where in city limits... I still love the peace and quiet around here... I tell you what I'm a jean and t-shirt kinda guy as well! Wal-Mart is my wardrobe except dress clothes.lol We have a Wally World and a few restaurants which is more than enough to get by...

Unread 08-08-2008, 04:53 PM

7,439 posts, read 5,506,854 times
I like small town living but need to be in town. My sister in the UP doesn't mind that she is 6 mis. from a gallon of milk. Me, 3 block walk to Pick n Save!

Two Rivers is 12,500, not real small but enough to be quiet. When I was looking last year, I wanted a town with a defined town center, grocery store, drug store, gas station, bank, etc. and I wanted sidewalks to get there. I'm one mile from the center of town, a very easy walk.

In Illinois (Waukegan), I was putting my life in danger if I decided to walk somewhere. Crossing a busy street, cars would aim for you, a pedestrian in a crosswalk was good for target practice. Somewhat of an exageration but you get the idea! I needed quieter and safety!

Unread 08-08-2008, 06:49 PM

748 posts, read 1,293,642 times
Susan,
Yeah, living close enough to a small downtown is great. I used to have a house like that and it was nice to walk down for a gallon of milk or ice cream cone. I like the privacy of living in the country though, but if I couldn't live in the country than I would want to live in a nice walkable small town.

Unread 08-08-2008, 10:54 PM

630 posts, read 747,543 times
I want to live in a smaller town than what i am in now. but not too small to where if i need something it's a pain to go get it.

Unread 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,392,140 times
I used to live in what I thought was the country, in Waukesha County's Lake Country. Well it is more than a half hour into Milwaukee from there if not a full 40 minutes.

Then I moved to Northern Minnesota and to a town where the population is about 680 or so. Wow is life in a small rural town different. So laid back and friendly. No crime to speak of, no traffic of any sort, except maybe a tractor holding back traffic for a moment. It's just wonderful....

Small Town - between 6 and 8 hundered is just right. Any bigger and you'll end up with a Wal Mart in town.

Unread 08-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I used to live in what I thought was the country, in Waukesha County's Lake Country. Well it is more than a half hour into Milwaukee from there if not a full 40 minutes.

Then I moved to Northern Minnesota and to a town where the population is about 680 or so. Wow is life in a small rural town different. So laid back and friendly. No crime to speak of, no traffic of any sort, except maybe a tractor holding back traffic for a moment. It's just wonderful....

Small Town - between 6 and 8 hundered is just right. Any bigger and you'll end up with a Wal Mart in town.

That sounds so nice. I wish I lived in a smaller town requiring residents to be more independent...

Unread 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM

864 posts, read 156,520 times
The only area I can think of that meets your criteria are small towns in the Eau Claire
area.Augusta maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin