U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
 
Location: kronenwetter
537 posts, read 1,340,066 times
Reputation: 110

Advertisements

My sister, brother and brother in law are there. We have season tickets for Packer games and 2 weeks ago it was freezing but still so much fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM
 
90 posts, read 212,098 times
Reputation: 33
My wife and I have pretty much given up on Wisconsin. I'm happy with my job (Yes, a rarity.), but the weather is killing us. I've lived in western NY, San Antonio during a summer, Catskills, central Ohio, NW Ohio, and now in the Fox Cities. This is the only place where the weather, especially the winds, makes me regularly and quite sick. Even my kids are showing the effects.

I turned down jobs in the past because of the money/benefits, but quality of life/health is way more important. Are others suffering in the plains with the winds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2008, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Middleton, Wisconsin
4,222 posts, read 10,649,449 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicePolishBoy View Post
My wife and I have pretty much given up on Wisconsin. I'm happy with my job (Yes, a rarity.), but the weather is killing us. I've lived in western NY, San Antonio during a summer, Catskills, central Ohio, NW Ohio, and now in the Fox Cities. This is the only place where the weather, especially the winds, makes me regularly and quite sick. Even my kids are showing the effects.

I turned down jobs in the past because of the money/benefits, but quality of life/health is way more important. Are others suffering in the plains with the winds?
You know I've lived here all 20 years of my life and have obviously grown use to the wind. I do notice it though, the summer is nice because it seems like we get some breezy days et cetera. The winter can be brutal with the winds.... I just thought maybe heavy winds were part of winter. I guess not.
__________________
Moderator of Milwaukee, WI forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Germantown, WI
610 posts, read 1,103,923 times
Reputation: 183
I've lived here all my life but I can see where the cold/wind/long winters can take their toll on a person. Just having it so warm yesterday, although overcast and rainy, was actually sort of nice in a weird way. So many people I've known have left WI because of the weather but when it's nice it really IS nice! I guess it goes back to what others have said - there is no perfect place but you do have to live somewhere that is right for YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,296,128 times
Reputation: 961
I struggle with the winters here too. This is only my second winter in Wisconsin, but it's turning out to be as bad as the last one . But I still wouldn't go back to San Diego. I'd rather endure the long winters here than endure the cesspool that is called San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
576 posts, read 956,711 times
Reputation: 651
I've been here all but 4 years of my life (I'm 34) and I still hate the winters. It's just life in Wisconsin. I just remember that spring can't be too far off. I've gotten better with it and just bundle up a little more and make the best out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Marion, IA
2,785 posts, read 3,741,874 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah! View Post
Wisconsin is extremely boring, ugly, depressing state with bad ever changing weather and boring, closed up people. Don't get me wrong most Wisconsinites are not bad natured, obnoxious or jerks but they are not very intellectual thus overall boring and not fun to be around. The whole state is obsessed with stupid football game and it seems like a pinnacle of their whole existence..and shopping, but if you ask for direction or something they will help no doubt.


Main highlight of summer are numerous summer fests with loud, annoying, horrible rookie soft rock bands and bunch of bored, badly dressed fatties and obnoxious teens, who are also fat, walking around drinking watery beer and waiting for fireworks to begin. How fun!!! Not much in terms of refinement, culture divercity or sophistication. WI prides itself on beer and cheese, guess what? Both are tasteless. Roads are very bad due to weather and construction never stops. The whole state is one single speed trap, although most people are very bad, slow drivers, while real criminals running lose shooting people. In short it's a typical Midwest - very miserable, ugly, boring and depressing place to live. No matter how you sugarcoat it, it still sucks. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody, especially if you are young, outgoing and have some money.

P.S. The only positive thing about WI is not very bad parking situation.

FOr a minute I thought you were describing Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 PM
 
3,321 posts, read 2,921,114 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I struggle with the winters here too. This is only my second winter in Wisconsin, but it's turning out to be as bad as the last one . But I still wouldn't go back to San Diego. I'd rather endure the long winters here than endure the cesspool that is called San Diego.
You are more than entitled to your opinion on San Diego FCG, but I find it ironic that you have blasted people who don't find WI their cup of tea, but yet you don't like where you come from either. On a travel board I used to frequent, the locals of San Diego had nothing but good to say about it. JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,296,128 times
Reputation: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
You are more than entitled to your opinion on San Diego FCG, but I find it ironic that you have blasted people who don't find WI their cup of tea, but yet you don't like where you come from either. On a travel board I used to frequent, the locals of San Diego had nothing but good to say about it. JMO
I don't actually "blast" people for not liking Wisconsin. I do, however, blast people who name-call (like calling Wisconsinites "rednecks") Sure, you can lament the winters or the lack of mountains, or whatever...even lament the political "atmosphere"...we all do that sometimes. But to come on this board and label people with insulting stereotypes is uncalled for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 04:30 PM
 
3,321 posts, read 2,921,114 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I don't actually "blast" people for not liking Wisconsin. I do, however, blast people who name-call (like calling Wisconsinites "rednecks") Sure, you can lament the winters or the lack of mountains, or whatever...even lament the political "atmosphere"...we all do that sometimes. But to come on this board and label people with insulting stereotypes is uncalled for.
Yeah I couldn't think of another word to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top