Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouleeGuy View Post

After reading jtur88 post the only word that came to mind was….idiot. You sound like one of the last Branch Davidians. Really, do you think before you post? America becoming a police state? That statement alone tells me a lot about you.
Of course I never think. I just go around bashing random threads. I thought this was a thread that asked why people left Wisconsin. How did I misinterpret that? OK, Wisconsin has really great school crossing guards. There. Now are you happy? And people in Wisconsin say "Aaaww!" when they see a puppy.

I guess I'm supposed to keep quiet until it is time to make 25 posts to the Bears-Packers Game thread saying "Oooooweeee!", instead of expressing an opinion where one is asked for.

I was born in Wisconsin and I grew up there. My mother lived there until she died 2 years ago. I am very very familiar with life in that state, and I have lived in 12 other states and know something about them, too. When I go back there, I have the same conversation with my friends and relatives. They don't put it as nicely as I do. Some of them call Wisconsin the most nazi state in the USA. I find that hard to argue with.

You called me an idiot. That, my friend, tells everybody here a lot more about you than about me.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-01-2009 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 PM

105 posts, read 262,332 times
Here we again. You equate Wisconsin with the Nazi’s? Do you see the problem yet? It’s not your opinion of Wisconsin that is troubling. It’s your opinion of our country. You find it “hard to argue” with your friends and relatives in Wisconsin about any state in our country that they say is Nazi in it’s ways?…..Come on, that should be easy. Maybe Idiot was harsh. Maybe the correct word should be Anti-American.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM

You should of posted on the bears packers thread. We had fun and showed the true meaning of America

Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
2. Everybody shovels their snow. Everyplace else, people just drive through or over it. In Wisconsin, everyone is out before daylight shoveling everything right down to the pavement. I think the police come and give you a ticket if you don't. After the plow comes buy and fills in your driveway, you're not allowed to scoop it back out into the street. You can get a ticket. In Wisconsin, you can get a ticket for anything. People take all that very seriously.

Really, Every place else just drives through it? Man I didn't know that folks in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Alaska didn't shovel there snow. So shoveling is an art exclusive to Wisconsin? Cool, I also plow snow so I guess that makes me real bad. How about this, when you guys get a nice ehhhh 12" of white stuff and you have to walk some where you'll realize why we shovel.

Wisconsin is one of the most healthy states, why? Because many of us aren't afraid of winter. We take things serious because we like things done a certain way. If you don't like it move somewhere that isn't strict on building policies, pollution et cetera. Where would you rather live?

Worst case scenario, you don't care about your property nor does your city council and some child is playing with your kids bam they fall off your deck because you weren't required to have a 42" height railing. Make sense?

Old 01-02-2009, 06:29 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Actually Josh, isn't Wisconsin a very unhealthy state on a comparaitve basis in terms of weight, drinking and things like heart disease and diabetes?

I personally haven't researched the topic, but thought I read things like this.

As far as snow shoveling goes, Lived in Sussex WI for years until we moved to Arlington Heights IL this year. A lot of people here don't shovel the sidewalks unlike in Sussex. It is harder to walk around town here than it was in WI. Not too big a deal but I would not consider being good at removing snow a bad thing (jtur88, what was that all about???)

Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
I can guarantee you that Maine residents shovel/snowblow their driveways. It would be impossible to just blow through all that snow at the end of the drive with a regular car. Maine, however, has sidewalk plows so residents are not required to clear their own sidewalks, the towns take care of it.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
If you have a sidewalk, you shovel it, common courtesy, I think and the way I was raised. I grew up in Evanston, Illinois and my dad always shoveled our sidewalk and public sidewalk in front of the house. I have noticed as things change, attitudes, people don't always shovel public sidewalks, their choice. I shoveled my public sidewalk in Waukegan because I lived near a bus stop, my neighbors didn't though.

Every place else they drive through it? Hmmm, when I travel to Iowa, Illinois, Michigan in the winter, everyone shovels, no one just leaves it, shoveling is not just a Wisconsin habit, a winter necessity!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Actually Josh, isn't Wisconsin a very unhealthy state on a comparaitve basis in terms of weight, drinking and things like heart disease and diabetes?

I personally haven't researched the topic, but thought I read things like this.

As far as snow shoveling goes, Lived in Sussex WI for years until we moved to Arlington Heights IL this year. A lot of people here don't shovel the sidewalks unlike in Sussex. It is harder to walk around town here than it was in WI. Not too big a deal but I would not consider being good at removing snow a bad thing (jtur88, what was that all about???)

I read in a health ranking somewhere that Wisconsin was in one the top ten healthiest states. States in the south seen very poor ratings due to diets et cetera. I do realize that Wisconsin does consume alot of beer, maybe that's the reason it isn't #1?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 AM

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) has released its list of top 10 unhealthy states, according to an Oct 10, 2002, news release from the organization. Those states that made the list, ranked in order of least healthy states, are

* Mississippi,

* Texas,( Victoria )

* West Virginia,

* Kentucky,

* Tennessee,

* Illinois,

* Michigan,

* Missouri,

* Louisiana, and

* Arkansas.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the list, David!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin