U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM

2,543 posts, read 5,675,964 times

Advertisements

Left Wisconsin first for school, then came back for school, then left for hubby's school...now it is for work. I truly miss Wisconsin and the entire northern midwest. I miss the winter and the woods and the Big Lake.

One of the best things about Wisconsin is the land-ethnic people have. Sometimes I feel like it is dying out because small farms continually close-up, and more and more people from the cities--who may not feel as connected to the land--are buying up the land. But this is the home of Aldo Leopold, Sigurd Olson, and for awhile, John Muir.

And I realize that people truly cannot stand Packer-mania, but where else can you join in a party every Sunday for the mere price of cheering on a football team? It is crazy but fun. Besides, the only truly consistant crazy place is in GB and the Fox Valley. As you radiate out from there, it gets less so, to the point you just need to avoid bars on Sunday if you really care (and who needs to go to a bar on Sunday?).

It's home and I miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,054,737 times
I've left a number of times (school, work, change of pace) & I've lived in 6 different states seeking a different culture, climate, or landscape.
I've returned every time & I know I'll end up settling in Wisconsin for good. Basically I've learned everywhere you live has it's pluses and minuses. No place is anywhere near perfect, it all balances out. Wisconsin has the total package in my opinion. Unique, great genuine people, variety of landscapes, 4 seasons, low cost of living, good restaurants, good healthcare, little traffic, lots of recreation for every season.
If you think Wisconsin is a bad state you need try living in other places & you'll grow to appreciate Wisconsin.
You would be surprised at the number of people I meet from Wisconsin while I'm out in other states, who like me moved away & they hate where they're currently at and wish to go back, but can't. Sure there's some that love the move they made, but it seems like the majority realize the grass ain't always greener . . .

Last edited by everwinter; 09-08-2008 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 AM

11,128 posts, read 10,666,196 times
Play nice everyone! :-) One of the reasons I left Illinois is the bad roads, traffic and no end in sight. Sitting through 3 changes of one stop light just to get to a store is not my idea of a fun time.

NE Illinois got so built up so fast, without having builders pay for upgrading intersections of the 2 lane highways out in what was farm land. Major 4 lane roads are in way worse shape than any of the small county roads Wisconsin has. Living in the midwest, what state doesn't have construction in the summer?

When you check out this forum (I don't care what state), you will find opinions on both sides of the fence. People keep asking why do you like it, why you don't, etc.! I could go post in Illinois why I left, why I wouldn't go back, my opinion for my needs, and someone might disagree and argue my points. I felt Wisconsin offered, a quieter, less hectic, place to live at this stage of my life and I'm not leaving!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM

635 posts, read 1,100,991 times
okay I don't know if i should be posting in this particular thread. hopefully the op is not asking just those who have always lived there. so here's my input (for what it's worth.) We lived in WI for 3 years and liked it. the winters were long though. the reasons we moved back to where we are from was because we wanted our kids to be by family. and the winters got to me. however, we want to come back now! the only thing that scares me is the winters but i have gotten good advice from people saying just to stay active so i'm not as scared.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 PM

534 posts, read 1,359,636 times
Moved away 4 years ago to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Job promotion for hubby. Hoping this our last year here and can move to Appleton(from the Milwaukee area). We are born Wisconsinites. Don't know what you got till it's gone.

Cedar Rapids was extremely flooded this summer(worse then Wisconsin). The city has no clue(or money)on what to do. 4,000 people lost their homes and many neighborhoods are going to be torn down. There are hundreds of homes that aren't able to be lived in. It's a disaster and no way are we going to live in this mess for another 4 years. My job will be ending next September. Hubby can stay with his company(main hub is in Combined Locks, Wi), so that isn't an issue. So signs point to a September move.

We miss the people, family, friends, the culture(whatever yeah), the food. We miss "up north"(say that here and get quite the stare). We miss the BEAUTY of Wisconsin. There is nothing to do here. Weekends can be brutal, especially in the winter. Even though we are 4 hours from home, it's not like we can sneak away for a day to get away, maybe to Madison we could. It's just so god awful boring.

I get sad sometimes reading about all the people moving to Wisconsin, knowing I'm not one of them...YET!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM

4,229 posts, read 14,767,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
Moved away 4 years ago to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Job promotion for hubby. Hoping this our last year here and can move to Appleton(from the Milwaukee area). We are born Wisconsinites. Don't know what you got till it's gone.

Cedar Rapids was extremely flooded this summer(worse then Wisconsin). The city has no clue(or money)on what to do. 4,000 people lost their homes and many neighborhoods are going to be torn down. There are hundreds of homes that aren't able to be lived in. It's a disaster and no way are we going to live in this mess for another 4 years. My job will be ending next September. Hubby can stay with his company(main hub is in Combined Locks, Wi), so that isn't an issue. So signs point to a September move.

We miss the people, family, friends, the culture(whatever yeah), the food. We miss "up north"(say that here and get quite the stare). We miss the BEAUTY of Wisconsin. There is nothing to do here. Weekends can be brutal, especially in the winter. Even though we are 4 hours from home, it's not like we can sneak away for a day to get away, maybe to Madison we could. It's just so god awful boring.

I get sad sometimes reading about all the people moving to Wisconsin, knowing I'm not one of them...YET!

It's ok, you'll be here before you know it. When you come up here next you'll have to let us know where your staying so we can help you plan a schedule.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM

Wisconsin isn't for everyone, the reason may be winters, our social networks etc. Many people do love the laid back lifestyle of the state and many don't. Let's not take too much offense to people who had bad experiences here or just hate winter.

If anyone thinks that a member is posting some information that could be considered offensive just direct message me or another mod on the situation or report the post. We try to do our best to keep things level headed around here.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM

4,465 posts, read 6,665,433 times
It all depends what you like. If you want beaches, warm weather, etc, then this isn't your place.

But personally, if your into that, then why go to ugly old Fla when it's far more picturesque, tropical, and better beachwise in Brazil, Rep Dominicana, or even The Bahamas?

Conversely, if you want to be in the middle of nowhere, and in deep cold, try Alaska or Northern Canada, eh?

But if you want a place that has reasonably good outdoor resources, a quiet time of the year when all the tourists clearout, and still offers the ammenities of civilizaton- like good schools and roads, then Wisconsin just might be the place for you.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 PM

534 posts, read 1,359,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
It's ok, you'll be here before you know it. When you come up here next you'll have to let us know where your staying so we can help you plan a schedule.
We are actually coming home(yes, it will always be home)for a visit the first week of November. We haven't been home since June. Had to get away from all the flooding(we didn't get flooded). Everything was shut down and you couldn't get anywhere, so we left.It's going to be great to get back home for a week.
Going to spend a few days in Appleton to see where we want to plant ourselves. We know Appleton extremely well. My relatives have always lived there, so I've been going there since I was a kid. Introduced Appleton to my husband when we met(18 years ago). We have great friends in Oshkosh. We used to go up for weekends all the time. Plus, since his company is there, we do get back a few times a year on the company(meetings).

I love all the photos in the photo thread. I look at them once in awhile. They make me homesick too, but they are beautiful photos.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Glad to see your coming back UW Badgers.

Geechie North, That was a great post. A+!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or