U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM

324 posts, read 560,466 times
My husband and I were born and raised in Wisconsin and recently moved to SW Florida, Fort Myers area, for the sunshine as I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and NEED more sunshine than Wisconsin can offer. The lack of sunshine and cold weather are the only things I can't tolerate, otherwise, we LOVE Wisconsin. It is a clean and beautiful state with lots of beautiful green trees and landscape to enjoy. The people are polite, open doors for you, say thank-you, let your car in if the roads are busy etc.... I tend to be quite friendly and tend to get a friendly response back. There are many midwesteners here in SW Florida so the people here seem to be about the same as back home. Hopefully some day when we retire can own a home there too to be near family in the summer. We would not have moved if it wasn't for my health but we are LOVING the weather here in Florida and I am grateful everyday for the sunshine and feeling better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 05:52 PM

6,786 posts, read 11,592,910 times
I also have S.A.D and I have to either divorce my wife and move back to Boca or buy those expensive lights that provide happiness rays. To think, I will spend more than half of my life indoors and in cloudy weather and most of my life will be looking up at clouds and no sun all b/c I live in the north.

I deal with it the best I can but if I could move anywhere with 365 sunshine I would move yesterday.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 AM

324 posts, read 560,466 times
For me the lights barely helped. I read that they help many people though. I went through the gammut before making the huge decision to move and leave our family. My husband saw what it was doing to me. My case is pretty severe though. My blood pressure would dive to 70's/40's and my body couldn't work properly. I just couldn't do it anymore.

Lots of a quality vitamin D and B complex vitamins helped me the most. Forcing yourself outside to get light in your eyes and sunshine on your skin helps too.

Hopefully your wife will understand just how difficult this disorder is to live with and she will move somewhere sunny for you. I did so much reading and talking to experts and doctors, if I can help in anyway, please let me know. Maybe if she would talk to your doctor, as my husband did it would help.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

562 posts, read 984,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
For me the lights barely helped. I read that they help many people though. I went through the gammut before making the huge decision to move and leave our family. My husband saw what it was doing to me. My case is pretty severe though. My blood pressure would dive to 70's/40's and my body couldn't work properly. I just couldn't do it anymore.

Lots of a quality vitamin D and B complex vitamins helped me the most. Forcing yourself outside to get light in your eyes and sunshine on your skin helps too.

Hopefully your wife will understand just how difficult this disorder is to live with and she will move somewhere sunny for you. I did so much reading and talking to experts and doctors, if I can help in anyway, please let me know. Maybe if she would talk to your doctor, as my husband did it would help.

Good luck.
Try Phoenix out. Relentless sun with several months of 110+ degrees should make you happy.
I can't wait to move back to Wisconsin from Arizona so I can enjoy being active outdoors without constantly sweating my a$$ off and getting burnt in 20 minutes.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 PM

12 posts, read 15,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I also have S.A.D and I have to either divorce my wife and move back to Boca or buy those expensive lights that provide happiness rays. To think, I will spend more than half of my life indoors and in cloudy weather and most of my life will be looking up at clouds and no sun all b/c I live in the north.

I deal with it the best I can but if I could move anywhere with 365 sunshine I would move yesterday.
lol I have to admit we have these bulbs in every room of our house.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM

6,786 posts, read 11,592,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogs07 View Post
lol I have to admit we have these bulbs in every room of our house.
well? do they work?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 AM

34 posts, read 42,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah! View Post
Shopping seem to be primary form of entertainment there although there are no good stores like IKEA, Nordstrom and many others like in other states, only recently they put up very first Costco, Whole Foods and Trader's Joe. Pick-n-Save has a good monopoly on grocery business, driving others out.
This is definitely a strike I see against Wisconsin since I've moved. Newer and more higher-end stores at best are VERY slow to expanding there while generally refuse expansion to Wisconsin because the state lacks Lifestyle Center shopping centers.

Even a common chain like Chipotle; there was already 4 of them in my midwestern Ohio city before Milwaukee got its first. A mainstream store like The Container Store is still not in Wisconsin. And when it comes to your more yuppy chic shopping chains, the majority are absent across the state. A person from Wisconsin would know about Bath & Body Works. But they probably have never even heard of its other brand stores found across the country like C.O. Bigelow, Henri Bendel, etc. Wisconsinites know about Victoria's Secret, but they've never even seen its popular teen store Pink. And a Wisconsinite would be totally ignorant to the fact that Abercrombie has had a lingerie brand for years competing with Victoria's Secret called Gilly Hicks. They simply don't expand to Wisconsin. Reading in the news that Abercrombie was closing its higher-end brand Ruehl last year meant nothing to a Wisconsinite because the state never even saw a Ruehl store. All of these stores again can be found in my town in Ohio, far from a "chic fashion center".

To this day the entire state of Wisconsin still does not have a Nordstrom or an Ikea. There's been an Ikea on every corner in California for two decades. And even here in my area, I have 5 Nordstroms and 3 Ikeas within a couple hours of driving. I'm not a big shopper so this doesn't personally irritate me. But it's definitely very apparent when I talk about restaurant chains and store chains with my Milwaukee friends and family. They've generally not heard of many common new chains found elsewhere in the US. It always takes years for them to hear about them

The primary thing holding Wisconsin back is that shopping is still built on the 70's and 80's model of malls and strip centers. They still haven't adopted an 'open-air lifestyle center' that these newer stores locate to. From St. Louis to Indianapolis toall the major cities in Ohio, they all have Lifestyle Center shopping. Most of the new chic stores refuse to move to the dated 'indoor mall' and strip centers that comprise Wisconsin shopping.

Last edited by Kenozia; 01-13-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM

^^ For those Wisconsinites that don't know what a Lifestyle Center is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_center_(retail)

They're not really 'new' anymore; a phenomenon that took off in the late 90's that passed Wisconsin by. There are over 200 of them in the US now. Wisconsin is still one of the only states that hasn't developed one. My city has two of them: Easton Town Center and Polaris Fashion Place.

In a nut shell it's a yuppy boutique 'shopping place' that is setup like a Faux town; hundreds of millions of dollars invested in development. Think of Main Street USA at Disney World but actual blocks of boutique high-end stores, restaurants, spas, candy shops, fragrance stores, Swedish furniture stores and attractions all carefully planned to make you feel immersed in a different more-perfect world: a yuppies dream playground. The one by my house has brick roads, an antique trolley system, 50's style phone booths, multiple giant fountains and pools, outdoor playgrounds and water shooting out of the ground and bouncing around ala a Disney World resort for kids to play in. 2nd story open-air balconies overhang the sidewalk with people looking down while dining at restaurant chains like The Ocean Club or having a drink at Bar Louie. Often there will be live music being played on the street. At night the streets are adorned with lights, lit-up giant model train sets, Christmas time has a giant 50 foot lit Christmas tree in one of the squares, etc. During the summer there's a giant inflatable screen at night near one of the faux "town squares" where they play family oriented movies like E.T. for families to setup lawn chairs and watch for free. Everything is large and ornate. The Lego store is actually made of giant Lego's. The AMC theatre is designed like it's from the roaring 20's; you must travel up a massive grand entrance staircase to the theatre which has sculptures and a swanky bar inside.

The "streets" are setup wherein anywhere you are in the Lifestyle Center you can't see a parking lot, garage or any of the actual real roads or other stores surrounding this 'town'. You're completely immersed in this completely contrived clean booming "town". It's the combination of a giant marketing team with hundreds of millions of dollars to make a new model of a shopping experience that is a "destination" for well-off yuppies to better escape and spend more money.

Last edited by Kenozia; 01-13-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM

89 posts, read 109,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenozia View Post
^^ For those Wisconsinites that don't know what a Lifestyle Center is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_center_(retail)

They're not really 'new' anymore; a phenomenon that took off in the late 90's that passed Wisconsin by. There are over 200 of them in the US now. Wisconsin is still one of the only states that hasn't developed one. My city has two of them: Easton Town Center and Polaris Fashion Place.

In a nut shell it's a yuppy boutique 'shopping place' that is setup like a Faux town; hundreds of millions of dollars invested in development. Think of Main Street USA at Disney World but actual blocks of boutique high-end stores, restaurants, spas, candy shops, fragrance stores, Swedish furniture stores and attractions all carefully planned to make you feel immersed in a different more-perfect world: a yuppies dream playground. The one by my house has brick roads, an antique trolley system, 50's style phone booths, multiple giant fountains and pools, outdoor playgrounds and water shooting out of the ground and bouncing around ala a Disney World resort for kids to play in. 2nd story open-air balconies overhang the sidewalk with people looking down while dining at restaurant chains like The Ocean Club or having a drink at Bar Louie. Often there will be live music being played on the street. At night the streets are adorned with lights, lit-up giant model train sets, Christmas time has a giant 50 foot lit Christmas tree in one of the squares, etc. During the summer there's a giant inflatable screen at night near one of the faux "town squares" where they play family oriented movies like E.T. for families to setup lawn chairs and watch for free. Everything is large and ornate. The Lego store is actually made of giant Lego's. The AMC theatre is designed like it's from the roaring 20's; you must travel up a massive grand entrance staircase to the theatre which has sculptures and a swanky bar inside.

The "streets" are setup wherein anywhere you are in the Lifestyle Center you can't see a parking lot, garage or any of the actual real roads or other stores surrounding this 'town'. You're completely immersed in this completely contrived clean booming "town". It's the combination of a giant marketing team with hundreds of millions of dollars to make a new model of a shopping experience that is a "destination" for well-off yuppies to better escape and spend more money.
Bayshore Town Center is an open-air shopping center (albeit not one of these "life-style" centers), and you know what? I do not like to go there because it is too flipping cold to shop in the "open air" for 5-6 months of the year (my opinion only - no need to flame). I spent too many years down South to be able to tolerate the cold here without my long, bulky down coat and gloves, and shopping in bulky stuff while going from freezing to warm and stuffy is not my idea of fun. However, I definitely agree about the lack of shopping options in WI as compared to other cities where I've lived. Thankfully, Chicago is only 1 1/2 hours away!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin40 View Post
Bayshore Town Center is an open-air shopping center (albeit not one of these "life-style" centers), and you know what? I do not like to go there because it is too flipping cold to shop in the "open air" for 5-6 months of the year (my opinion only - no need to flame). I spent too many years down South to be able to tolerate the cold here without my long, bulky down coat and gloves, and shopping in bulky stuff while going from freezing to warm and stuffy is not my idea of fun. However, I definitely agree about the lack of shopping options in WI as compared to other cities where I've lived. Thankfully, Chicago is only 1 1/2 hours away!
Agreed. Columbus has generally the same weather. Both Lifestyle Centers by me are setup where you are traveling in and out of enclosed spaces so you can retreat from the weather and hang out inside. For instance Easton has a large "train station" hanger as the central hub of the "town" where there are comedy clubs, video game venues, coffee shops, yogurt shops, a Tiffany's, the theatre and a host of stores. Weirdly, there a LOT of NYC-type window shopping warriors that have no problem trudging around with bags and a coffee in 20 degree weather. It's surprising how packed it is even in the rain.

Though, the nauseating "yuppines" and "consumption" aspect can be so much that I don't blame people for wanting to live in a place like Wisconsin where they don't have Lifestyle Centers. But you can identify how the "well they'll just drive a couple hours to Chicago" attitude has truly hampered Wisconsin business when it comes to national retail chains.

Last edited by Kenozia; 01-13-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin