Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Southeast Wisconsin, Milwaukee’s five county metro areas, living in Jackson area need diverse restaurants, shopping district, quality daily living, family friendly, downtown parks and recreation

Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times

Advertisements

Help! Anyone familiar with SE Wisconsin (Milwaukee's 5 County metro area):

My family and I (wife and two young children) relocated very recently back to the Milwaukee area. I grew up here, we lived here for several years post marriage, etc. We moved to Albuquerque, NM for four years, but now came back to raise our kids. We are in our very early 30s.

The thing we really like about this area is the close-in metro area truly (which I have really come to realize in the past week or so) - thus, Milwaukee's Downtown / East Side, Glendale, Wauwatosa, Greendale, Shorewood, etc.

I work in the heart of Downtown Milwaukee.

Foolishly, when house hunting, we were bamboozled (by ourselves - not our realtor). We found an awesome big, new, roomy house in Jackson. We LOVED the house...it was so much newer, bigger, and nicer for our dollar than we could find elsewhere (we are not fixer-upers). Thus, even though we found a really nice house in Greendale as well (which in retrospect would have been an ideal community / location for us), we offered (and were accepted) on the Jackson house.

Anyway...long story short...I now will be living in Jackson as of the closing late next week. Great house, but I am really depressed about living so "far out" away from diverse restaurants, stores, Downtown, etc. Not so much the work commute, but more the quality daily living stuff for my wife and myself.

Can anyone lend any positive words of support of living in the Jackson area? Can anyone bolster my spirits about living in Jackson?

Any positive "Jackson" encouragement for a guy who is truly a Glendale-an or Wauwatosa-an or Greendale-an would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,834 times
Default when i was young

one of my highschool teachers was from there..sounded like a fantasty to me. imagine it has grown up......but probably nice.....YOU MADE A GOOD CALL ...YOU WILL RELIZE THIS as you spend more time there....greendale,greenfield are not what they were. good uck.i truly mean this and soory there may be misspellings. have to type from mouse keyboard,,disabled vet

Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Well berries, thanks so much for taking the time with the kind words and positive encouragement - it was very kind of you!

Actually now though, I probably should have waited one day to make this post, as I got a miracle (for me) last night. We found a clause in our contract that was an "opt out" clause that we didn't realize originally was even in there! So, this AM, I was able to opt out as per the contract, and got my earnest money back. Tomorrow, my wife and I are going to place an offer on a home in Greendale and we couldn't be more pumped up.

Jackson is a beautiful place and would be great for kids...and the home there was awesome. We just are too gosh darn urban I guess (used to being close to the "big city"). Plus, now I am 12 miles away from work - assuming the offer is accepted which I am fairly certain it will be - rather than 35 miles.

Sorry...probably should've waited to make this post. However, I didn't forsee whatsoever this turn of events!!! But Jackson is a really nice place for sure...I just think with our tastes we'll be better served in gorgeous Greendale living in a Greendale Original.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 AM

537 posts, read 1,939,759 times
My Aunt has lived in Greendale for 50 years. It is a great community. I haven't been there in almost 10 years but I remember the beautiful parks in town. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg56 View Post
My Aunt has lived in Greendale for 50 years. It is a great community. I haven't been there in almost 10 years but I remember the beautiful parks in town. Good luck!
Thanks!! Yeah, we are super excited about the Village of Greendale. Maybe we will run across your aunt some time! We've been there a number of times already visiting until we can close on our house, and it is just so secluded, community-oriented, quiet, family-filled, etc. Yet you are just literally minutes from major retail / restaurants, etc., as well as close to Downtown relatively.

We are super excited. Thanks for the encouragement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin