Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 PM

13 posts, read 69,186 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Appleton and I love it. Problem is, I feel it's growing a little too fast for me. The schools in Appleton and in towns around it are crowded because of the growing population. I moved from Milwaukee to Appleton 10 years ago to get out of the city, now I feel like it's followed me here! I would love to live in a smaller town (less than 40K)--one that has charm, jobs (either right in town or at a larger town close by), a nice "downtown" area, and some entertainment/culture. And of course, I would like it to be good for raising a family. Good health care, including a hospital with a trauma center is very important to me too. We've driven through Portage and that always seems lovely-is it? Any suggestions for small-town living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
That's funny you asked about Portage. I'm the only one on here from Portage that I'm aware of. Portage is so-so. It's kinda like a good ol boys town. People remember you at the gas station, sub shops et cetera... There is some crime however, as there is in any city. We're not growing as much as I would like to see... Downtown has just been redone and few stores have come and gone since construction. There is a community college with lots of evening programs...

The topography is interesting. Portage sits in an area when many different landscapes meet... You have the bluffs on the Sw portion of the city. Sand ridges to the NW and NE portions of the city... To the Se portion of the city you have smaller rolling hills with lakes..

The city was awarded Tree City U.S.A. in the early 2000's. There is lots of decidous species around here... The soil is relatively sandy meaning somewhat acidic, so there is a few coniferous trees here and there... Landscape wise, if you like to take lots of landscape pictures then it works out.

Employment, Since the city is located on three different interstates rgere is lots of manufacturing jobs here. Cardinal Glass, Tri-Enda Plastics, Spartech Sheetroll extrusion, Flexible Foam, Dawns Foods, Wiser Concrete, Alliant Energy Power Plant.

There is also a county jail, and federal prison. The prison always seems to be hiring, pays pretty good. The jail hires a little less frequently.

As far as shopping, we have a K-Mart, Wal-Mart Super Center, Tractor Supply Company, Pierces Market...

All around not a bad place to live, great schools, close to Madison, Dells.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 PM

13 posts, read 69,186 times
Thanks, Josh!

We usually drive through Portage in the winter, and I did notice landscape-very beautiful after a snow.

Portage is definitely a possibility. And I have siblings in Madison, so that would place me closer to them as well.

Are you well-traveled in WI? Do you have any other suggestions for small towns that might fit my needs?

Thanks,
Michelle

Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galfromwi View Post
Thanks, Josh!

We usually drive through Portage in the winter, and I did notice landscape-very beautiful after a snow.

Portage is definitely a possibility. And I have siblings in Madison, so that would place me closer to them as well.

Are you well-traveled in WI? Do you have any other suggestions for small towns that might fit my needs?

Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle, I get around the state somewhat often, not so much around the NE or NW portion... You get my drift. I also like Hartford and Prairie du Sac.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,006 times
What size town is of interest to you? Wausau is nice.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,113 times
Marshfield! Everything you need but still small with no crime.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,113 times
Dream City.
http://ci.marshfield.wi.us/misc/profile.htm

Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,014 times
Wausau is a very nice town indeed. It might be a little too big and growing than what you are looking for, but overall it has everything you stated in your qualifications. I've lived here for a while, and traveled to many places, but Wausau is still home to me.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 PM

101 posts, read 219,289 times
I used to live in Superior, WI and Appleton. I would recommend Superior. I'm not sure if that would be too far for you from the rest of Wisconsin. It is kind of isolated. But...

The weather is absolutely perfect from June-September (though a little on the cool side perhaps). Winter is not THAT bad. It's a little colder than Appleton, but isn't -15 the same as -10 (it's still really cold). Generally speaking, the economy is a little worse off, but it does thrive during summer and survive during winter. Service jobs are very prolific in Superior. Duluth is a larger city (85,000) that is five minutes from Superior, but yet it feels farther than that. Superior is it's own town and the residents are fiercely proud of that. It has a real small town feel with bigger city amenities just a short hop away.

The crime is minimal, probably less than Appleton. Also, the population is pretty stable, so you wouldn't have to worry about the city getting any bigger (or smaller) than the 27,000 it is right now. They have excellent public schools (including a new middle school and elementary school). The scenery is to die for and there are lots of opportunities for things to do because of its proximity to Duluth. You can expect to go to Duluth for some things, but it isn't required. Superior does have everything you would need. The cost of living is quite low and the people are some of the friendliest I've ever met anywhere. There is a pretty good bus system in Duluth that runs 2 routes through Superior (it even runs on Sundays) and traffic is never a problem.

All in all, a great place to live. I currently live in Oshkosh, but I'm going to be moving back up there for good in the next couple of months. There's just something about it that makes me want to go back. Also, check out Wisconsin Point Park and Billings Park if you decide to check it out. Great city parks in Superior.

P.S. Don't let the naysayers fool you about the Twin Ports (Duluth/Superior). It really is a great, great place.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Wausau, abbostford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin