Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:45 PM

393 posts, read 1,876,443 times

Advertisements

I think WI is the only state I have lived in that still has homemade bakery made right on location. What a thing to miss?.....Just going into a WI store and getting a homemade peanut square, or a peanut persian is a delight that melts in your mouth. Only WI, has that specialty about it, and I miss it LOTS!!! LOL.

I wonder how much the locals appreciate that, but not as much as I do for sure! and if I can still count on it many many years to come when I come home to visit.....eeeks! They must do pretty good though, or they wouldn't keep making the bakery by hand.

Wish I could get some of the bakeries, or grocery stores to send UPS, or FEDEX.......lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 05:09 AM

324 posts, read 1,523,716 times
i second that....when i lived in new berlin there was a bakery that made the best long johns (atleast my family called them that) since my grandma's...we would go every saturday & get a bunch...just thinkg about it is making me drool

Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,081,970 times
Back when I lived in Mercer Wisconsin there was a wonderful bakery there called "Gray's Bakery." The kids and I use to go there every Saturday morning and sit around catching up on all the town news with everyone else who came in to get their week's bakery goods. It is no longer there but I'm wondering if there is anyone else on this forum who went there and remember it as fondly as I do?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM

534 posts, read 1,590,595 times
One can take this for granted easily. I know we did.

When we moved away 4 1/2 years ago. When we needed just 2 rolls once, I went to the grocery store thinking it would be like any other grocery store I had been to in Wisconsin, where they have rolls in the bakery case. Nope, they bake them fresh in the one store here, but bag them and but them out. The only thing in the bakery case are cookies, cupcakes, and cakes.
Now I have asked for 2 or so rolls here a couple of times and they gave them to me, but not without a dirty look. You would have thought I was asking them for crack! They have to take them out of the bag of 6 or 8 that they have packaged to get them. Now if I need rolls, I just buy the 6 count and toast the extra's up for breakfast or lunch.

I miss the fresh bakery's. I think there might be one bakery somewhere in this town, but it isn't much.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:28 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,852,916 times
There are a couple here in Appleton, but maybe you all can tell me something. Why is it impossible to find a basic chocolate sugared donut here? My DH actually had to place a "custom" order for some for my birthday last year. They have chocolate frosted, but not sugared. ?????????????????

Old 12-14-2008, 06:35 PM

537 posts, read 1,933,508 times
Peanut square and crullers yum.
OK, I haven't heard of a chocolate sugared donut. Frosted yeah but not sugared. I don't recall seeing them even at Dunkin Donuts. Maybe it is a regional thing. Is it powered sugar or granulated sugar? I'm trying to picture what it would look like.
We saw some bakery from Heinemanns today. Flashed me right back to living in Chicago.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Chocolate with either granulated or powdered sugar. Perhaps it is another regional thing. I just thought that was a very basic item, but maybe only in the northeast???

Last edited by BacktoNE; 12-14-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 07:25 PM

537 posts, read 1,933,508 times
Maybe it is northeast. I have seen yellow cake donuts with powered or granulated sugar and long johns but I can't recall chocolate like that. And I love chocolate.
I know my son loved Entemanns chocolate donuts and they had crumbly stuff on them that had some powered sugar.
I'll have to pay more attention next time I am by a bakery.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:35 PM

We are going home for a few days this week. Maybe I'll bring some back and take one in to the bakery around the corner. When I tried to describe them to the owner, she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

I did that with whoopie pies and now she makes them occasionally. Not as good as my family recipe, but not bad.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,574,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Chocolate with either granulated or powdered sugar. Perhaps it is another regional thing. I just thought that was a very basic item, but maybe only in the northeast???
I love me a good donut, and I have never seen that variety in WI or anywhere else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin