U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM

417 posts, read 647,562 times

Advertisements

Minus 6 degrees here right now in central WI. Got the ole wood stove on full throttle. Gotta be careful though, can't get er too hot. Heard a tip on radio the other day. If you have a metal chimney (dbl wall insul or triple wall) you shouldn't use a metal (wire) brush to clean chimney (like I have). It will scratch the inside of pipe and rust can form. Makes sense. A poly brush should be used. So I was at Menards and Fleet tonight trying to find poly brush and wouldn't you know it. They only have 6" and 8" and I have a 7" dia chimney. Have to keep looking. Ash disposal - It seems every year or so someone in area puts ashes that were thought to be cold, in a flammable container and it starts a fire on a deck, house siding, inside garage, etc. I have a fairly deep fire pit in backyard a safe distance from house and that's where mine go. Then in spring I clean fire pit out. Works great. Also don't let your ashes in stove accumulate too much especially on top of grate. Friend told me the hot ashes will burn out and warp the grate. Wish I would have heard this about 2 grates ago because that's what was happening to mine. Any other tips out there to keep us safe this year? How many of you guys/gals clean your own chimney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 PM

1,587 posts, read 4,327,133 times
I always did but used a chain. We had metal ash pan and when cooled we took out and let chickens dust in it. Looks good main thing now is these winds if not have a cap is downdrafts.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 AM

537 posts, read 1,339,199 times
We put some of the ashes in our garden. The rest we use in the driveway for traction. It does work.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM

we did driveway as long as not where walked so make mess in house.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM

537 posts, read 1,339,199 times
We clean our own chimney every 2 weeks. My son is a firefighter and he would never forgive us if we had a chimney fire.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Had house burn here at 4 am yesterday and another chimney fire last evening. With winds and such and so bitterly cold be more.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 PM

5,555 posts, read 4,152,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg56 View Post
We clean our own chimney every 2 weeks. My son is a firefighter and he would never forgive us if we had a chimney fire.
Hmmm every two weeks! Isn't that an awful lot? Some clean theirs every other year with no problem.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 PM

Depends on wood using also. we cleaned monthly unless had greener/wetter wood then did more often.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I clean mine once a month when I'm burning pine and other soft woods, like I am now. Last year I burned hickory from January til spring and my chimney was cleaner than clean. But if you got a good system of cleaning - ladder handy and equipment at the ready its not a big deal. A friend of mine has his cleaned once a year by a pro - cost - $100.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
We put some of the ashes in our garden. The rest we use in the driveway for traction. It does work.
Some times I'll have some old boards with nails lying around from a summer project that I save to burn and sometimes I'll burn pallet wood if I happen across some so have to be careful not to throw those ashes in driveway. Flat tires are no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: