Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,943 times

Advertisements

I moved here a year ago and I really am suffering. I can't figure out how to meet other lesbians. I don't drink alcohol like the rest of this state seems to be so heavily into so bars are out of the question. I think they are all hiding from all the conservative people around here. Afraid to be singled out and attacked by the religious right or the red neck mafia!
I am so unhappy here, the weather sucks and there is nothing to do. The highlight of the summer seems to be an airshow and a country drunk-a-thon.
I am hoping to sell my house in the Spring and move back to the West Coast where I am from. I will never leave again once I get home.

Flat, Hot in summer, Frigid and buried in snow in winter, no tall trees, no fresh seafood, nothing to do.

If you are not Catholic or Lutheran forget finding a nice church.

Augghhhh!!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:10 PM

456 posts, read 1,396,972 times
Any chance you could make some trips to Madison? It might be worth the time, energy, and expense. Life is too short. Peace...

Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoAmour View Post
I moved here a year ago and I really am suffering. I can't figure out how to meet other lesbians. I don't drink alcohol like the rest of this state seems to be so heavily into so bars are out of the question. I think they are all hiding from all the conservative people around here. Afraid to be singled out and attacked by the religious right or the red neck mafia!

I am so unhappy here, the weather sucks and there is nothing to do. The highlight of the summer seems to be an airshow and a country drunk-a-thon.

I am hoping to sell my house in the Spring and move back to the West Coast where I am from. I will never leave again once I get home.

Flat, Hot in summer, Frigid and buried in snow in winter, no tall trees, no fresh seafood, nothing to do.

If you are not Catholic or Lutheran forget finding a nice church.

Augghhhh!!!!
What an insulting post.

The title of your thread is misleading...you make it sound like you're asking for advice on how to meet other lesbians in Wisconsin. But in reality, you're just here to bash Wisconsin and Wisconsinites.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind to leave. Believe me, I don't think you'll be missed.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 12-21-2008 at 03:23 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,759 times
Funny, we have lived here for 21 years and we have met plenty of people that are gay. There is a pastor in a local church here and she is gay. We live in a small town and I can name at least 10 people that are gay. They aren't hiding and people here are fine with their lifestyle. The college has a group for gays. We don't drink and we have plenty of friends.
I guess maybe your negativity turns people off.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 PM

61 posts, read 186,018 times
Craigslist?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,346 times
You could always tour the bridges of Madison County.

Seriously guys, this post MUST be a joke...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Let's see... from Puget Sound, to Oshkosh, WI.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?????

Did you inherit the place or something? I'm sorry you don't like your life, but there had to be a whole bunch of red flags that went up when you started thinking about moving to Oshkosh. In fact, I'd think that almost aspect of the relocation would raise a red flag. Small town, no ocean, totally different landscape, different weather, different people. It's not as if Oshkosh is known as the "Seattle of Wisconsin" or anything. I wouldn't move to Oshkosh from Sioux Falls, SD, much less Puget Sound.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,972 times
If you are not prepared to move, again the suggestion still stands. Why not schedule some getaways to Madison? Why not also try online dating? No offense, but craiglist might not be the best option. You'd have to do a lot of heavy screening. But it may be worth a try along with other online dating sites. Oh, and please try not to bad-mouth Oshkosh or Wisconsin in the process. You clearly have some strong feelings there, understandably, but I am learning that taking a more proactive stance (getting clear on what you do want as opposed to what you don't want) will ultimately make you more attractive or approachable. Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:55 PM

387 posts, read 1,331,903 times
Hmmm. We moved here a year ago. No problem making friends. We don't drink. We have even... gasp.. met some people that are gay. Very nice and they seem to have no problem making friends,gay or straight. Maybe it is their open minded attitude that helps.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:53 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Let's see... from Puget Sound, to Oshkosh, WI.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?????

Did you inherit the place or something? I'm sorry you don't like your life, but there had to be a whole bunch of red flags that went up when you started thinking about moving to Oshkosh. In fact, I'd think that almost aspect of the relocation would raise a red flag. Small town, no ocean, totally different landscape, different weather, different people. It's not as if Oshkosh is known as the "Seattle of Wisconsin" or anything. I wouldn't move to Oshkosh from Sioux Falls, SD, much less Puget Sound.
You know, this isn't the first time Oshkosh has given a bad respresentation of WI. Whenever I hear about people hating their new life in WI, they usually live in Oshkosh. As I like to say, it is the armpit of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin