Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agatehunter View Post
Yes I love Wisconsin with all my heart. I have lived in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, Washington State, and have travelled all over this
wonderful country of ours and still think Wisconsin is the most wonderful place. I currently reside in Missouri, and can't wait to get back to Wisconsin.
Same here, agatehunter. I have lived in Wisconsin, Washington State, Mississippi, Oregon, California, and Idaho, and I have also travelled all over this wonderful country, and I have always cherished Wisconsin in my heart. I love, love, love Wisconsin, and I can't wait to get back there, too. There's no other place like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 PM

387 posts, read 1,332,024 times
Almost been full time residents for a year. Love it more each day. We love all the festivals that WI has. Always something to do. And all the lakes. Nothing out east can compare to the wonders of WI!
We have lived in a number of states and nothing comes close to WI. It was a great move for us and we love it!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,712 times
thanks for the input everyone. I can't wait to get there.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 AM

387 posts, read 1,332,024 times
We were in Washington and Oregon this summer. The mountains were gorgeous. The ocean was OK. I guess I'm not an ocean person. But we loved the Columbia River. And driving up Mt. Rainer was specatacular.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
When I left Waukegan, there wasn't a single full service gas station left in town. I've had to put air in my tire for a few days so I went back to the local Citgo.

They fixed my tire on the spot, he's put air in it and said lets give it a day or two. There was a nail so he put in a plug. I paid but just the idea you can get someone to help you right away is so nice.

I love water and walking along the beach, I've always lived where I could get to Lake Michigan, even as a child my dad took us to the lake alot. This is where my love of weather comes from as he taught us about NE winds, waves, tides, undertow, all of it. I can't imagine living miles and miles from water, nope not happening.

Last edited by susancruzs; 09-12-2008 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: paragraph

Old 09-14-2008, 03:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,884 times
Our lives keep getting better and better. We love it here. Built our dream house this past summer and started a business. Keeps me busy but we love it. Met a lot of interesting people through my new venture. Everyone has been great.
Hey Kate, we'll take lakes over oceans too! Been to the Atlantic and Pacific and were underwhelmed. Give me a Great Lake anytime!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,026 times
It all depends on what you call cold. Things are what you make them; I personally enjoy the excitement of bad weather, since natural disasters aren't prone to be as dangerous in WI. The main concern is flash flooding. However most thunderstorms in the spring and summer are exciting. I am from the suburbs of Milwaukee, so the weather is milder by the lake, except two years ago we did get a foot of snow in one day. But sledding is fun! Also, shoveling snow is good exercise, as is drinking beer to keep your liver in shape and if you feel the cold it means you need another round.

I go to college in IN, which is slightly more conservative. Of course, Milwaukee itself leans more liberal, but each place has its own circles. I really really enjoy coming home because WI people seem more open, although IN people do hold the Midwestern courtesy. It is hard to fully explain but the state is like its own cultural nation. There is a certain crude and sarcastic dry sense of humor. People take jokes to another level and have a lighthearted good ole time.

I have traveled to 46 states and Canada. Eventually I will make it all the continents and would like to live on one of coasts (haven't decided which one) and in Europe one day. BUT! Whenever I decide to settle down for good it will be in WI. I can't personally compare CA residences to WI, having never lived there. I did visit SF and NoCal earlier this summer and found it to be a lot awesomer than my materialistic misconceptions (of course, haven't gone to LA). SF was by far the coolest city I have ever seen, it was diverse and lively, but I think I really need to go to Italy for a valid comparison. Northern Cal, Oregon, and Seattle/WA did seem a bit like Northern WI minus the WI himidity (I actually had to make a point to care to lotion while on the west coast). And humidity isn't so bad because you can't tell your sweat from dew in the air, just put your hair in a braid or something so it doesn't bug you. I'd take it over dryness.

Some Milwaukee/WI cultural perks: Everybody knows about beer, cheese, brats, and the packers, if not, then acquaint yourself quickly. Furthermore, there is nothing like Kopp's burgers or custard, Rocky Rococo's deep dish pizza, George Webbs, Sprecher Rootbeer (which in WI you can drink with your parents... once got the Amber special when I meant Rootbeer, now I will always say Sprecher when I order), Summerfest!!!!, Tyme Machines, Bubblers, polka, Harleys, Friday night fishfrys, bowling, pointing out FIBS on the freeway, Brewers, Badgers, the fact that Les Paul and Steve Miller Band came from Waukesha, and for some reason (heritage pretty much) people in IN don't know about St. Nick's... I felt extra love on that day. My list goes on to include Sausage races, rolling out the barrel of fun, brandy consumption, bars on every corner, the Onion newspaper, tailgating (which happens everywhere, but I think we take it up a notch), Tommy Bartlett in the dells, Cudahy Christmas Carolers, and even a facebook group called "WI we eat people" which is devoted to Ed Gein (I need to get one of those shirts).

As you can see I have a fair share of WI pride. And I am glad it is a hidden niche in the US, it just adds to the appeal. One unfortunate factor is the drunk driving. So please don't be irresponsible if you do decide to lush.

I am kinda of curious what coasties or other states in general think of us, that question is probably for another forum.

Last edited by Sconnie; 07-19-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,378 times
Absolutely love it!
I'm from the country outside of Owen Wisconsin and an outdoors person. It's very peaceful for daily life and not far from fun with the surrounding small towns and cities. All seasons are great except for maybe Jan/Feb but they're still fun too for messing around with snow and ice. Summer is the best with the mild temperatures and small town festivities. Fall is beautiful and refreshing. Winter is fun and a nice change. I like driving around in, and plowing snow as well as sledding, building forts, snowmen, and tunnels with the children. Spring is great with the snow melting, floods, and mud. I would not trade my land and life in the country there for anything!
Attached Thumbnails
does anyone out there love wi?-cattleautumnal.jpg  

Last edited by notmuch69; 07-20-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Wow, beer is good excercise for your liver?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
Default There is nothing good about wisconsin

It is a very boring and uncultured state... I have lived her all 29 years of my life and refuse to let people know that I am from Wisconsin when I visit other places. It is an over-weight, unattractive, unintelligent place to be and I feel less intelligent everyday that I live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin