Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 14,011 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for any information anyone can help me with reagrding the disturbing rumor that some time over this summer the Lake turned green from high levels of bacteria and that a major concern for property owners may be at issue. I own some vacant water front property that I planned on building on in 5 years to retire. I do not live in state so all I know is when I owe my property taxes. I would appreciate any news or facts anyone has to offer. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 07:45 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,508,858 times
Something I found for you to look at...

http://www.wsaw.com/news/features/4/3390991.html (broken link)

http://www.wsaw.com/news/features/4/3391256.html (broken link)

May help on your search.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,011 times
Thank You For The Help. I Will Hit These Links In A Few Hours. Have A Nice Night

Old 09-14-2006, 10:10 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,508,858 times
Your welcome..I know alot of lakes turn green late in year..I was told the bottoms roll to the top as cooler water sinks.I know Chetek turns pea soup green and looks disgusting..

Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,488 times
Angry Blue Green Algae

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceable View Post
Hi, I am looking for any information anyone can help me with regarding the disturbing rumor that some time over this summer the Lake turned green from high levels of bacteria and that a major concern for property owners may be at issue. I own some vacant water front property that I planned on building on in 5 years to retire. I do not live in state so all I know is when I owe my property taxes. I would appreciate any news or facts anyone has to offer. Thanks
I also purchased property near the lake. Built a home which we have now retired to.

In direct answer to your question..............Lake Petenwell, and many other man made lakes on the Wisconsin River system, had a major infestation of an algae commonly referred to as "Blue Green Algae"

The algae is toxic to fish, animals, and humans.

The algae, in sufficient quantities, suffocates fish....is very toxic and potentially poisonous to animals who ingest water containing the algae, and humans, in contact with the water, may become very ill.

This year the waters were so infested with the algae there were places you could not get through with a boat.

The algae forms large blue green mats....very visible.

My lab, who always travels with me on my fishing trips, ingested some of this water, we almost lost her. took several visits to the Veterinarian.

Fishing......was very poor.

After numerous calls to Local and State Officials, the lake is now "Posted" with warning signs.

Additional information on "Blue Green Algae" is available over the Internet.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,976,715 times
this happens all over. The Madison chain deals with it every year. This past summer even worse due to the flooding that happened and the sewage dumped in. Seems worse in lakes with runoff issues; and on those bodies of water in areas out of the wind. There are times on Mendota you pull your boat out and it looked like a layer of blueish shaving cream on it.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,488 times
Default Additional info

Check this link for additional info

Blue-green Algae Questions - WDNR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: