U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM

146 posts, read 711,651 times
Default how hot does it get?

I am in southern Illinois right now, moving to the Green Bay area soon. Right now it is around 50 degrees and sunny here. I see I GB that is it 16 degrees. Quite a bit of difference there. I can handle the cold, what I wonder is how hot it gets in the summer. It gets into the high 90's here and very humid and is miserable. Do you get those kind of high summer temps there? I guess I wondered because people here don't live without central air and I noticed in my search of house for sale that most people do not have central air in the GB area. Can you get by on window units?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,572 times
Cool Weather extremes in Wisconsin

I lived in SE Wisconsin 1941-1977 and have seen -28 to 106F.
WINTER: Upstate, I recall one winter where it was so cold that the propane gas in outside cylinders didn't vaporize. They know exactly at what temp that happens -55F. These temps don't include the wind chill. Actually I think I liked winter except for the 5% humidity in a heated house. One could always put on more clothes to get warm, but when it got so hot and humid in the summer, skivvies was overdressed! Then the ice storms where everything is coated with ice. Power lines dropping. So I would suggest having an alternate heat source. Our house had a fireplace which saved us lots of times.
SPRING: I always liked spring and fall the most. Of course you have your spring storms and tornados. Spring until the first mosquito shows up and then I always said I was ready for winter.
SUMMER: The worst of the summer heat is the humidity. You can take a cool shower, but then you are sweating again in a few minutes because you don't get evaporative cooling effect. The summer has thunderstorms and tornados also so be sure to get a place with a basement to hide in. But if you haven't already guessed, the worst of the summer is the mosquitos. You just cannot sit outdoors in the evening coolness because you will be eaten alive.
FALL: Fall is great after the mosquitos leave. The colors of the trees are spectacular. A sunny day after a frost some trees just glow!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,916 times
Last summer we were camped on Lake Superior and it was 100 degrees on our truck thermometer. That is abnormal! We are 15 miles from Green Bay, we don't have central air. Can't justify the cost, really. There are only 5 - 10 days out of the year that one would really NEED central air... we have a window unit that we use when those hot, muggy days hit. But for most of the summer days a fan or two to circulate the air is sufficient.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM

653 posts, read 2,402,837 times
Default Green Bay Weather

82 degrees is the highest NORMAL summer temp in Green Bay. Occurs in Late July. 24 degrees is the lowest NORMAL winter high temp in Green Bay. Occurs in January. Temp extremes are from -35 to + 105. 90+ days are only a handful each year. High humidity generally comes hand in hand with the warmer summers. Spring temps run the gamut, but there usually will be cold snaps until May (below 32). Freezing temps come back usually in early to mid October. Humidity in the summer is dependent upon the "Dew Point", and often it is well into the 70s. Average winter snowfall in Green Bay is 42 inches.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM

Does Wisconsin actively spray for mosquitos? I would figure with the West Nile Virus issue that they would. Most towns around here spray in the summer almost everynight for mosquitos.
I figured there would be a great deal of humidity with all the greenery. Kind of the trade off you pay for green. Illinois is also terribly humid. I gave up drying my clothes on a line here because at the end of the day, they are more wet than when you put them out. One of the things I really loved about Oklahoma was the dry heat. I could hang out laundry and it would be completely dry in about 20 minutes. I miss Oklahoma, that would be my choice of where I would live again.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Humidity

Just as where you now live, in the summer in Green Bay, when the weather is influenced by air originating from the Gulf Of Mexico, it will be humid. There are times when it actually becomes oppressive. The summer in Green Bay however is relatively short. July and August are really the only problem months. As far as mosquitos, spraying is limited. They are indeed annoying, but a part of life there. I have heard that some of the worst problems with mosquitos are in Canada and believe it or not-Alaska. When I lived in Rapid City South Dakota, they were non-exsistent. Summers there are warm to hot, but with low humidity. I will not miss humid days at all here in Nevada.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 AM

31 posts, read 106,793 times
I was at Washington Island last summer and it was easily mid 90's.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:40 AM

The summer of 2006 had an unusual amount of 90+ plus days. I believe that in 2003 or 2004 there were NO days of 90+ temps in the summer.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
The summer of 2006 had an unusual amount of 90+ plus days. I believe that in 2003 or 2004 there were NO days of 90+ temps in the summer.
Global warming . . .

Old 03-09-2007, 04:02 PM

So, when we make our "partial" move next week, we should still take our winter clothing? We plan to stay until May 15, when school is out, and then come back here and finalize our moving plans and move back in July or August. Should we take shorts and warmer weather clothing for May or can we get with at least jeans? Space is going to be at a premium in the car so I only want to take what we need to get by, clothing wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin