Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,221 times

Advertisements

My daughter bought a home in Milwaukee this past summer. She paid to have an inspection done. Now in the dead of winter, she has drafts coming in every window in her house. Is there any recourse she can take against the previous owner. She has a 4 year old daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robren View Post
My daughter bought a home in Milwaukee this past summer. She paid to have an inspection done. Now in the dead of winter, she has drafts coming in every window in her house. Is there any recourse she can take against the previous owner. She has a 4 year old daughter.
Over drafty windows, I seriously doubt it. How old is the house? Has she put window insulation kits on?

Windows can pass inspection and still let drafts in. Usually deal breakers in home inspection reports are safety issues.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Home inspections are designed to identify safety and structural issues. Drafts are non-structural items and have little safety impact. Inexpensive weather stripping can easily solve this problem. Should run under $10 per window, less on sale and off season. If the drafts are coming through the panes rather than under the frames, then reglazing the panes is the cure and will cost a bit more than the weather stripping, but can still be cheap if she is handy with a putty knife.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,221 times
Thank you for the info, this was my suggestion also.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robren View Post
Probably not. Keep in mind, drafts in windows are going to be bad during the coldest, windiest weather. Summer, of course, will be much less so. If I'm not mistaken, there are inspectors that do energy surveys, and they're not the usual home inspectors. Home inspectors do the major items. I saw a program on PBS or HGTV about this very issue. There is actually a really cool pressure test that some inspectors can do, to determine what the major energy loss issues are.

There are a lot of things that can be done about the windows, up to and including replacement. For the worst offenders, the afermarket weatherstripping is a good move. After that, there's always the heat-shrink route (which I hate). Also a lot of older windows are leaky around the outside frame of the windows. Filling gaps behind trim can help a huge amount. It isn't too hard to do, no more difficult than re-roping those ancient weight-type double hung windows. However, one usually must remove the trim around the windows to do so.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM

17 posts, read 71,355 times
(I think) WE Energies has a program that they come and restrip and weatherize the windows for you. Im not sure all the details or qualifications, but its worth lookin into.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
When I bought my house in 2007, I had an inspection done. He said my Cape Cod windows needed attention because they'd been painted, caulked and repainted. He explained this was for my info not something that had to be done for the purchase.

He told me I needed to have additional insulation added to the attic and knee wall areas. I had it done but not until the end of Feb. last year. The temperature difference between downstairs and upstairs was over 10 degrees, it was awful. I ended up having the windows replaced but that is a very pricey venture. House is still cold because of the way it was built no insulation in the walls.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 PM

86 posts, read 312,286 times
Is the forced air system (if that's her form of heat) getting enough air intake? If not, it might be creating a vaccuum effect and drawing air in. That's just a wild guess.. perhaps an inspector-type can weigh in on whether that's possible.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Drafty windows are not considered a material fact over which recourse can be taken for failure to disclose, unless "drafty windows" was specifically part of the inspection process and overlooked in which case she would have recourse against the inspector, but that seems highly unlikely. Nobody is entitled to the presumption that the windows are not drafty. Your daughter has three options: 1) put plastic over the windows, 2) put weather seals around them, or 3) replace them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin