Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM

335 posts, read 1,206,332 times

Advertisements

In my county in WI littering is a 500 dollar fine. It is really not about more laws. It is about enforcing the ones that already exist. I think we can all agree that we do not like to deal with ciggy butts, and I personally do not like to deal with diapers....and I have 5 kids. Have you ever seen a diaper in a parking lot.???????

How the heck do you just throw a used diaper in a parking lot??? Cali girl, I think we will have to get used to the fact that many people are thoughtless slobs and nothing will change that....except maybe a kick in the old hiney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 PM

266 posts, read 999,530 times
I applaud your effort also! And, I can not understand why anyone would belittle your efforts!! If more people were like you, WI would be a better place!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:52 AM

8,277 posts, read 23,024,209 times
One of my big pet peeves, I honk and I yell at people who do this even the homeless. Doyle is raising the taxes and fees on everything but what he should. I'm a huge conservative but riase the littering fine to 1,000. Parking to 50.00 and on private parking 200.00, loud music 1,000.00, speeding 500.00, drinking and driving 2,000.00. Graffiti/trespassing 1,000.00.

I hate criminals and I know when I was young and did these things the thing that slapped my in my face beside a good parent was the 2k fine I had to work all summer for, after that I was as clean as a whistle!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 AM

261 posts, read 942,394 times
Default Please be correct before POINTING Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
First of all QwertyFarmer, YOU ARE THE ONE (NOT) who steered this thread off track with your bashing me for being a California transplant. (AGAIN, NOT) I said nothing about that...my original post was ONLY ABOUT cigarette butt litter.

So then when I defend myself against YOUR RUDENESS with regard to my being a California transplant, you BASH ME AGAIN (AND AGAIN, NOT)for not sticking to the point of the thread.

Clearly you have issues with my posts. So you bait me, and then when I respond, you bash me for my response. I'm pretty much on to your game now (MY GAME?), and from hereonin, I'm not going to let you bait me anymore.
YOU really should read the posts before you type. I came in on this post after a few had already knocked you for your regular "Cali vs. WI" style of verbage. My first comment specifically pointed out my surprise to your still getting knocked for your transplant status and I then followed through with this thread pertaining to cig. butts and trash in general. READ THE POSTS! You continue to need attention that appears to be more often negative than positive, but appear to be satisfied with any attention regardless of its source or reason. It is sad that you feel baited, but being unwilling or unable to aknowledge any other part of my or other peoples posts as they relate to the threads topic vs. your origin or current geographic location may be the cause of your feeling attacked. Consider reading all posts and fully before throwing out the very labels you are fighting against. Why you continue to single me out also is a clear sign of the inconsistency in your defense of how you feel your being treated. I have done no more, and frankly much less than numerous other posters responding to you specifically, especially over your transplant status. Suggestion, try to talk with people instead of at them, and appreciate your surroundings more than compare them to the previous.

For the rest - going for a morning walk, looking forward to driving down the road with less trash after I am done. Have a great day!!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 AM

620 posts, read 1,833,990 times
Until this post I guess I never realized, yes, there are cigarette butts everywhere. Outside our local Dollar Tree there is a cigarette receptacle but couldn't believe what I saw yesterday - TONS of them!! Hopefully now that spring is here there will be more clean-up but the problem could be solved if the littering never happened in the first place. I'll be taking my clean-up walk soon - have a good day,all!!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,832,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
One of my big pet peeves, I honk and I yell at people who do this even the homeless. Doyle is raising the taxes and fees on everything but what he should. I'm a huge conservative but riase the littering fine to 1,000. Parking to 50.00 and on private parking 200.00, loud music 1,000.00, speeding 500.00, drinking and driving 2,000.00. Graffiti/trespassing 1,000.00.

I hate criminals and I know when I was young and did these things the thing that slapped my in my face beside a good parent was the 2k fine I had to work all summer for, after that I was as clean as a whistle!!!
If you believe that gov't should control everyone on the topics you list, you are not a conservative by any meaning of the word. I am amazed at how people on this forum continue advociting increased gov't interference just because they have some minor problem with their fellow man. Get over it - you live amongst people, people will always do things that you personally may dislike, so what.

What's next? After you succeed in controlling these activities, should we fine someone who feeds their child a greasy burger in public? After all don't we have to protect the child?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,990,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Until this post I guess I never realized, yes, there are cigarette butts everywhere. Outside our local Dollar Tree there is a cigarette receptacle but couldn't believe what I saw yesterday - TONS of them!! Hopefully now that spring is here there will be more clean-up but the problem could be solved if the littering never happened in the first place. I'll be taking my clean-up walk soon - have a good day,all!!
Aaaah, then this thread did some good.

Yesterday, being as beautiful as it was, was a very productive day for me. Along with my husband's help, we cleared all the cigarette butts from the front of Walgreen's, Starbuck's, and Taco Bell (it was interesting how we got some dirty looks, and then some looks of admiration....but no store employees noticed or commented). I suspect the dirty looks were from the smokers and litterers?

Along with the cigarette butts, we picked up the following:

Empty soda cans
Empty plastic water bottles
Shoe (?)
Towel
Candy wrappers
Bottle lids
Plastic bags
Straw wrappers
Empty CD case
Pizza box
Broken sunglasses
Matchbook

I don't think that all of this was actual litter. I think some of the trash blew out of overflowing trash cans. Most of the trash cans we saw were so full you couldn't get anything else in them.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 AM

620 posts, read 1,833,990 times
Hi FormerCali: I thank you for motivating me to get out sooner than I was going to. OK - this morning I took a big garbage bag; walked around my condo complex and up and down the main street. It was full within about 20 minutes. You really got me thinking YES there are SO many cigarette butts in addition to the other litter that's it unreal. I think we set an example when people see us doing this; I've been approached by walkers-by and we talk about the issue. Anyway, there is much more to do; this is my first time this year but will definitely be doing on a regular basis. It's also great exercise. P.S. Unfortunately found dog feces too but know it's a hefty fine in Germantown if you're caught. But, how often does that happen - ha!! Enjoy the day everybody!!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,990,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Hi FormerCali: I thank you for motivating me to get out sooner than I was going to. OK - this morning I took a big garbage bag; walked around my condo complex and up and down the main street. It was full within about 20 minutes. You really got me thinking YES there are SO many cigarette butts in addition to the other litter that's it unreal. I think we set an example when people see us doing this; I've been approached by walkers-by and we talk about the issue. Anyway, there is much more to do; this is my first time this year but will definitely be doing on a regular basis. It's also great exercise. P.S. Unfortunately found dog feces too but know it's a hefty fine in Germantown if you're caught. But, how often does that happen - ha!! Enjoy the day everybody!!

Note to everybody who is helping clear your community of litter:

PLEASE, be careful when you are anywhere near traffic....walking along the side of a road, in a parking lot, etc. Watch for cars, because they don't always see us, especially if we are bent over picking up litter.

Everybody stay safe, and THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART for each and every cigarette butt and piece of litter you pick up. I think we ARE setting an example. And people who see us out there removing litter are most likely affected by it.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,579,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I wish I'd never identified myself as a "transplant". If I'd just stayed mum on the subject (created a different username) and let everybody think I'm a Wisconsin native, I doubt I'd get bashed as much in this forum. I think the fact that I'm from California rubs some people the wrong way. They don't like a Californian coming in here and saying anything negative about Wisconsin.

But I really do like Wisconsin...quite a lot. It's not perfect (no place is, especially California), but it's a nice place to live. Coming from California, it's just a no-brainer that there are going to be some profound differences between my old home and my new home. But I don't mean to make it sound like I'm bashing Wisconsin (because I'm not); it's just that there are some things here that I think could be improved (just like any city).
Ehhh plz pity party pooeeh!!!! In case you forgot I had a standing joke with ya about your former state..and that I think you will be heading back...that is all my comment was about on this thread.

I do however think you should just get out and put your plan into motion instead of looking for support here...because it seems you do like to start controversial threads! (hint search people)

I love CA so I certainly wasn't upset you were ragging on our dear state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin