U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 13,608 times

Advertisements

Hello there...
just moved back to the area. I did live here shortly before maybe hmmm 8 -9 years ago...things so look different and to be honest half the time i'm not sure where i am standing.
Just curious if anyone can give me tips about the area things to do etc.
Thanks

Last edited by limbochick; 03-27-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:04 PM

guess no tips...

Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 PM

375 posts, read 1,239,460 times
We were in Appleton yesterday. We visited with some of my hubby's clients. Had a nice dinner and a nice ride back home. They were talking snow when we left.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:32 PM

well it did snow...yep it did. its a nice area people seem friendly but distant at the same time...hmm hard to strike up freidnships if u haven't grown up here i think.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM

58,222 posts, read 50,903,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbochick View Post
well it did snow...yep it did. its a nice area people seem friendly but distant at the same time...hmm hard to strike up freidnships if u haven't grown up here i think.
I don't think Appleton is the only place that can be like that. Many people would say the same think about Minnesota. Living in Georgia, I find the same to be true(with the exception of the "distant" factor). I could be very wrong about this, but this is just my own take. Sometimes when people grow up around the same people for a very long time, they have a cemented circle of friends. The "one is silver and the other is gold" doesn't have alot of bearing. For the person who is new to any place, breaking into the network and making new friends is more difficult because the local population might not be used to having newcomers, or certain persons may already have an established circle of friends that have been around for years and the need for new friends doesn't feel as urgent. In other cases, it might be the person who needs to go out there and make new friends. I speak from personal experience, and from being the new person alot. Sometimes you might meet people who are open to making new friends.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,328,687 times
what the heck happened to my post from the other day??

what kind of entertainment are you looking for? the PAC's got great shows. try appletondowntown.org for some listings of the restaurants and such - there's been a bunch of new good ones down there the last few years i.e. pullmans, il angolo, tapas, sciroccos. spring is coming so the farmers market should pick up saturday mornings on college ave. the bigger parks all have disc golf courses. theres a walking bridge in neenah/menasha over little lake butte de mortes, makes for a good walk or bikeride. dont know what kind of bars or clubs you like, but cnn money says theres more here than in madison so i think you'll find something.

otherwise... well it is smallville, wi you know lol

Last edited by yo vanilla; 03-30-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 PM

Limbochick, if you are looking for things to do, what kinds of things are you in to? That might be helpful for suggestions.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 AM

61 posts, read 168,685 times
Wife and I are moving to Appleton on May 1st ourselves! Glad to see we're not alone.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 15,774 times
Limbochick,
I think the "people seem friendly, but distant" is more a sign of the times than the area. We lived in the Fox Valley our whole lives, and recently moved to Southern WI. We thought people down here were not friendly and haven't been enjoying how unfriendly this town is and missing our old hometown thinking everyone was so friendly. WELL, my husband was back in our old town a few weeks ago and noted how everyone he ran into at the restaurant he stopped at was rude and in a hurry. That's not how we remember it when we were there, but I think these hard times are taking a toll on people everywhere causing them to be distant or even downright rude.

What are you looking to do in the area? There's lots to do up there, just depending on what your interests are.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 AM

Faithmom, you present another good point. People are a bit rushed nowadays and sometimes people are living in a different society than before. I gave my own theory about the local/newcomer argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin