U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 17,746 times
Default Where should we live? :)

Hi - My family and I are moving to Wisconsin in June. We are being transferred - my husband will be working just north of Oshkosh and I will be working in New London. Is there a good area somewhere in between with good schools? (We have two daughters, one with special needs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM

653 posts, read 2,445,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen2203 View Post
Hi - My family and I are moving to Wisconsin in June. We are being transferred - my husband will be working just north of Oshkosh and I will be working in New London. Is there a good area somewhere in between with good schools? (We have two daughters, one with special needs).
Appleton would be your first choice. Halfway between New London and Oshkosh. Appleton has good public schools, low crime. Just so you know ahead of time, Appleton has a very "Conservative" mentality, if that means anything to you. Property taxes are high as well and in my 30 years there I saw a lot of those dollars "Squandered" away on poorly planned and executed projects. Also I will say that it is a good community to raise children in. What "Gang-Bangers" are there-have so far been "Kept In Check". Oh, one other thing--Appleton has two kinds of streets. The new ones and the rest of them. You will become an expert in "Pothole" dodging when you utilize the rest of them!!!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,484,462 times
dont listen to ralph cramden about the roads, he's a disgruntled fogey

i moved to appleton on purpose because my wife and liked the city and the people. appleton, in my experience, does not have a conservative mentality. maybe it did 30 years ago, ask gregg, but not today IMO. lawrence university is one of the most liberal schools in the country and shared its foundation with appleton's 150 years ago. plus try to find a politician that isnt squandering money lol, this is america after all!!

and all of the bad roads except for the 10 that gregg can stretch his mind to remember have been replaced since he left town . my car is stiffly sprung, i'm quite anal, and i can't complain about appleton roads FWIW. and i drive all the time too, as a hobby. traffic is mostly light excluding wisconsin ave and, on the weekends, everything near the mall.

crime is no worry. its been rated #1 safest metro area in the us and a many times over the last decade. there is lots of shopping (biggest mall in the northern part of the state, might even be bigger than madision's towne malls), lots of good restaraunts. i do not think of franchises as good restaraunts; there's plenty of those of course, but in town there are some good local joints. the good company is a city favorite, and the queen bee makes the best damn hashbrowns you'll ever have. ever. both downtown college ave

there is a new performing arts center, a great children's "museum" (more like a giant playhouse) downtown, and a nice farmers market on saturdays. there's a great comedy club that headlines many famous acts.

lots of good schools too; for elementary schools Janet Berry and Horizons seem to be everyone's favorite. And there is open enrollment, too, so if you dont live in the district and your favorite school is not full you can apply for your kids to go there.

also i do not know if this is true, but someone told me once that appleton has more trees (per area) than any other city in america. theres lots of them either way.

so check it out!

Old 03-30-2007, 05:28 AM

I have heard some great things about Appleton - is there any specific areas of Appleton to stay away from? We are coming from Memphis, so I'm really excited about the low crime rates - although anywhere would probably be better than here! Another question about schools - since we both have full time jobs, and my daughter is just going into Kindergarten so I've never done this before, do many elementary schools have after school care until 5? And there seems to be so many public elementaries, here we don't have a choice of where to go unless it's private, and theres only one in a five mile radius.
I checked out the childrens museum online - my daughters will definitely enjoy that!
thanks for your help

Old 03-30-2007, 09:18 AM

well what is your price range? i can tell you my favorite areas based on what you want to spend; my wife and i have done alot of new house huntung lately.

there isn't too many bad parts; anyplace that is a couple blocks off spencer street east of hwy 41 is pretty run down. also the few blocks just north of wisconsin, west of mason, and east of the train tracks is not too desirable, as well as the streets immediately south of appleton papers (which is on wisconsin and meade). nothing comes to mind other than that.

cant help you with afterschool care, my oldest is only 3 so i'm not over that bridge yet.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
well what is your price range? i can tell you my favorite areas based on what you want to spend; my wife and i have done alot of new house huntung lately.

there isn't too many bad parts; anyplace that is a couple blocks off spencer street east of hwy 41 is pretty run down. also the few blocks just north of wisconsin, west of mason, and east of the train tracks is not too desirable, as well as the streets immediately south of appleton papers (which is on wisconsin and meade). nothing comes to mind other than that.

cant help you with afterschool care, my oldest is only 3 so i'm not over that bridge yet.
This shows what you know about Appleton. The area just south of Appleton Papers --Bellaire Court, Vine St, Mary St, Tonka St, Pacific St, and others in that general vicinity is one of the MOST DESIREABLE areas of the city. North of Wisconsin and West of Mason puts you in an area of mostly single family ranch homes in the price range of 129,000 and up. In addition to this, there is open enrollment in Appleton public schools--BUT ONLY if the school is UNDER capacity.And any place just off Spencer St and just east of U.S. 41 is Grand Chute-NOT Appleton. YO--YO gots a lot to learn!!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
This shows what you know about Appleton. The area just south of Appleton Papers --Bellaire Court, Vine St, Mary St, Tonka St, Pacific St, and others in that general vicinity is one of the MOST DESIREABLE areas of the city. North of Wisconsin and West of Mason puts you in an area of mostly single family ranch homes in the price range of 129,000 and up. In addition to this, there is open enrollment in Appleton public schools--BUT ONLY if the school is UNDER capacity.And any place just off Spencer St and just east of U.S. 41 is Grand Chute-NOT Appleton. YO--YO gots a lot to learn!!!!
south of appleton papers i was referring to commercial, winnebago, hancock, and meade. directly or immediately south, like i said. go a little further south and to the east to the streets that greg mentioned, and even a little further still near peabody park and you'll run into a very nice part of the old town. and there is plenty of crap area near spencer st that is in the city of appleton. right near miller electric, the old fox's diamond, and all the way down to badger ave. all city of, and all crummy. and all east of 41 of course, but i never said that HAD to be right next to 41. i know the boundaries of grand chute. my wife likes some of the western parts of it but i am vehemetly opposed to living in grand chute, so trust me, i know em well .

as far as the open enrollment goes, i thought the condition of being under capacity went without saying...

Last edited by yo vanilla; 04-01-2007 at 05:38 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
south of appleton papers i was referring to commercial, winnebago, hancock, and meade. directly or immediately south, like i said. go a little further south and to the east to the streets that greg mentioned, and even a little further still near peabody park and you'll run into a very nice part of the old town. and there is plenty of crap area near spencer st that is in the city of appleton. right near miller electric, the old fox's diamond, and all the way down to badger ave. all city of, and all crummy. and all east of 41 of course, but i never said that HAD to be right next to 41. i know the boundaries of grand chute. my wife likes some of the western parts of it but i am vehemetly opposed to living in grand chute, so trust me, i know em well .

as far as the open enrollment goes, i thought the condition of being under capacity went without saying...
Well, Grand Chute has a lower tax rate, than does Appleton. Anyone considering Appleton as a move should also consider Grand Chute. All the amenities that Appleton residents enjoy are also available to Grand Chute residents. In addtion, when it comes to spending tax dollars, Grand Chute has a better track record than does Appleton. WAY Better!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM

for the record grand chute has some really nice new housing. lots of new, pretty neighborhoods my wife would like to live in. its just important to me to have a sense of community with the city, and grand chute or darboy or harrison, etc are sort of like "the wrong side of the highway" as i like to say. thats just me; i know i am in the minority. i might consider the right house there, but only if it has a really, really nice garage

and karen so you know, the town of grand chute follows pretty much all of highway 41 when you get to "appleton". it covers much of the area adjacent to 41 almost all of the way around appleton, including all of the mall area. (i.e. when you get off the college ave exit east, you see a road sign "appleton, 2 miles"). if you wanted to spend $200Kish (or more maybe) on a newer home, there are nice areas just off casaloma drive, south of spencer st.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the information - I think we are going to try to look around $150ish, and hopefully an old house thats been updated at least for the most part. With two little kids and full time jobs we don't want to renovate a whole lot, but love the style and character of the older homes. I think we are coming up the first part of May to look around for a house, I'm getting excited! And I'm also glad we are moving in the summertime so I have some time to get used to the cold weather somewhat gradually. (I'm a Florida native...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin