U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM

42 posts, read 136,008 times

Advertisements

Instead of bothering to explain the concept of New Urbanism or New Pedestrianism with text (since it'd probably be much too long-winded), I've hyperlinked a trailer for an upcoming documentary called "New Urban Cowboy," which I think adequately imparts the principles on which these movements are centered.

YouTube - New Urban Cowboy: Toward a New Pedestrianism

Are there any walkable/livable towns, villages, or cities in Wisconsin that follow this model? I'm not so much looking for a newly constructed development, but just a town or city that is designed with mixed-use, intermodal structures. Are there any plans to integrate these ideas into existing towns? Is there any kind of grassroots movement pushing for these principles?

You might also check out Wikipedia for a cursory level of information on this subject: New Urbanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 PM

42 posts, read 136,008 times
From what I've seen in pictures and read on this forum, Madison and La Crosse seem to employ plenty of these elements into their design. Are there any smaller, less obvious examples?

Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM

42 posts, read 72,822 times
I grew up on the east side of Milwaukee, which is great for walking to amenities. I lived a few blocks from North Avenue, which put restaurants, cafes, a library, three parks (including Lake Park, which is a very nice park indeed), my grade school, three movie theaters, a bowling alley, lots of shopping, bars, local bus lines and the lakefront all in walking distance. If you live near either North Avenue or on the lower east side near Brady Street, you'll find plenty to do. Downtown nearer to the lakefront than deeper in is also very nice with lots of amenities and attractive pre-war apartment buildings. Also, Riverwest has been an up-and-coming neighborhood for a long time--I haven't been there for awhile, so I can't fully comment on it, but I know there was a lot of activity in the way of retail and restaurants moving in, which were positively affecting the neighborhood. There are also areas of Shorewood, which--if you're close enough to Oakland Avenue, offer some walkable amenities. Cedarburg, which is farther north, also has a nice area of shops and restaurants, but you'd want to make sure you lived close enough to it to walk. There is a variety of houses and apartment buildings in all these areas. Some have yards; some have driveways; some have garages; some have porches; some have them all. It's been awhile since you posted, but I hope this helps!

P.S. The University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee is located between the east side and Shorewood.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM

280 posts, read 590,778 times
I agree with everything Breezy says. And as someone who lives in Riverwest (well, not exactly at this moment, but I will be returning in the summer) it pretty much runs on the concept of New Urbanism and has an active neighborhood association that's very ahead of the curve when it comes to embracing new ideas (a refreshing change of pace from the stuck-in-1955 mentality of most of Milwaukee's "leadership"). It is a bit "rough around the edges," but not only do I think that adds to its charm, it's probably the thing that's saved Riverwest from gentrification which is usually what happens to neighborhoods when words like "hip" and "bohemian" start being used to describe them. I think it also keeps the levels of pretention and snobbishness ("smug" for you South Park fans) to a minimum since a lot of times that tends to overrun areas that pride themselves on how progressive they are.

Bay View, Third Ward and Walker's Point are also areas in Milwaukee that are worth checking out.

Last edited by Devitron5000; 02-10-2011 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 PM

42 posts, read 72,822 times
Yep, I second everything Devitron says as well. Bay View, the Third Ward and Walker's Point are all worth checking out as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin