Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM

164 posts, read 559,282 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, this forum has been a great help to me recently, as we are contemplating a move in the next 2 years. My husband & I both grew up in different parts of Wisconsin, but due to his job training we are currently in MN. Of course, where he can find a job will be the ultimate determinate of where we end up, but I'm considering all options at this point to give him an idea of where to job-seek. I've visited Door County every one of my 28 years, usually several times in the summer and quite a few winters too, so I have a good idea of what to expect. It is my true "happy place," the place you're supposed to close your eyes & imagine when things get too stressful.
I'm not loving Minnesota so much, and summer is coming with thoughts of upcoming trips to DC, which brings up the thought of moving there full time when we're done here. Is this a bad idea, to live where we vacation? Will it ruin it for me? My husband asked where we would vacation if we moved there, and I answered "Somewhere warm!"
Pretty much our only option would be Sturgeon Bay, as we need a medical facility for employment. So, in a sense, a day trip to northern Door County is not exactly living there. Is there a strong job market in SB? How about housing--is there a particular neighborhood with old houses?
TIA for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:54 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGrl View Post
My husband asked where we would vacation if we moved there, and I answered "Somewhere warm!"
I cannot really help you with your questions, but I hope you get some great responses that will help guide you in your decision! I think you will as I have found this forum to be full of helpful, friendly people helping others.

But I did want to comment on what I quoted above. My hubby and I, in trying to decide where to move and raise our family, have often said that at least if we move to Wisconsin to be by family that at least when we use vacation time it can be to go somewhere warm!

Best wishes and many blessings!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Door County= overrated.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGrl View Post
Hi everyone, this forum has been a great help to me recently, as we are contemplating a move in the next 2 years. My husband & I both grew up in different parts of Wisconsin, but due to his job training we are currently in MN. Of course, where he can find a job will be the ultimate determinate of where we end up, but I'm considering all options at this point to give him an idea of where to job-seek. I've visited Door County every one of my 28 years, usually several times in the summer and quite a few winters too, so I have a good idea of what to expect. It is my true "happy place," the place you're supposed to close your eyes & imagine when things get too stressful.
I'm not loving Minnesota so much, and summer is coming with thoughts of upcoming trips to DC, which brings up the thought of moving there full time when we're done here. Is this a bad idea, to live where we vacation? Will it ruin it for me? My husband asked where we would vacation if we moved there, and I answered "Somewhere warm!"
Pretty much our only option would be Sturgeon Bay, as we need a medical facility for employment. So, in a sense, a day trip to northern Door County is not exactly living there. Is there a strong job market in SB? How about housing--is there a particular neighborhood with old houses?
TIA for any help!

Door Co. Memorial Hospital is part of the Aurora system now, I believe. My guess (as I'm not in that field) is that's it is still fairly stable- although we are in a depression (30's style) and I've heard of med personnel being laid-off in Madison, etc.

As for the rest of the job market in the county, the major industry is shipbuilding and tourism- the latter which is seasonal and features lousy pay. The former has been hit by the global downturn.

Good news that housing in Sturgeon Bay city (or anywhere not on the water) has dropped precariously.

Lived there for years. Living vs vacationing will take some of the luster off the place for you, but if you like it as much as you say, you'll probably still like it year-round.

Last edited by Geechie North; 05-22-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,800 times
Default We love Sturgeon Bay

I am a transplanted South Carolina girl currently living in Sturgeon Bay and love it here. There is a house for sale in our neighborhood of Purvis Lagoon. It is right on the bay and is lovely but not too pricey.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:45 PM

34 posts, read 127,825 times
Default You'll Still Love It!

We've lived on Sturgeon Bay's West side for the past two years. DC was also our fave vacation place, though we'd only vacationed here three or four times before moving here.

I really don't think living here would ruin it for you. Today we ran errands in a loop from here to Fish Creek, then Sister Bay, and came home through Bailey's Harbor. Door County is still a fantastic place that we never get tired of.

That said, we've learned that there are not enough opportunities here for our 18 y/o and 16 y/o or for my husband, so we'll be moving this summer. But we console ourselves with the fact that it's been a fantastic two years and we can come back on vacations....and we will

Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

P.S. I highly recommend renting a house when you get here. The rents are really low if you take a year's lease. If you decide to stay, you'll have plenty of time to get to know the different areas (and the difference in property taxes depending on area!) and make a wise purchase. If you decide not to stay, you don't have to try to sell your house. We're SO glad we don't have to sell a house in this awful market in order to move on!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owensmomma View Post
We've lived on Sturgeon Bay's West side for the past two years. DC was also our fave vacation place, though we'd only vacationed here three or four times before moving here.

I really don't think living here would ruin it for you. Today we ran errands in a loop from here to Fish Creek, then Sister Bay, and came home through Bailey's Harbor. Door County is still a fantastic place that we never get tired of.

That said, we've learned that there are not enough opportunities here for our 18 y/o and 16 y/o or for my husband, so we'll be moving this summer. But we console ourselves with the fact that it's been a fantastic two years and we can come back on vacations....and we will

Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

P.S. I highly recommend renting a house when you get here. The rents are really low if you take a year's lease. If you decide to stay, you'll have plenty of time to get to know the different areas (and the difference in property taxes depending on area!) and make a wise purchase. If you decide not to stay, you don't have to try to sell your house. We're SO glad we don't have to sell a house in this awful market in order to move on!
I wondered what sort of "opportunites" your husband and teens were lacking. Also, what did you think of the schools and how did the kids adjust. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:42 PM

164 posts, read 559,282 times
Thanks for all the input! Now we're leaning towards a community that's within a reasonable drive to Door County, for weekends or even a day trip. I still want to keep Sturgeon Bay open as an option if we can find work. Right now we live so far away that even a weekend trip is not really worth it, so if we can get even a little closer I'll be happy

Old 05-30-2009, 07:06 PM

34 posts, read 127,825 times
Default Opportunities...

Nanannie, my husband found some work here but not enough. As for our teens, they've always been homeschooled so we have no opinion of the local schools. But just from talking to people and from observation we can see that there aren't a lot of options for young people here after high school. Many go off to college or to bigger cities to live/work. Those that stick around here may work but many also do a lot of partying...not much else going on here for them, apparently.

BadgerGrl, there are so many pretty places within a reasonable drive of DC that I'm sure you'll find something nice.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:16 PM

57 posts, read 209,499 times
The Fox Valley area has really grown in recent years. Appleton, Neenah or Oshkosh might be a possibility for you. Do you need a hospital or a clinic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin