Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 PM

947 posts, read 2,411,261 times

Advertisements

Got back from spending a week on our property near Bruce. Very small town and I can't tell you how relaxing and restoring it is. The motto for Rusk County is Unwind Your Mind, and boy is it appropriate. We fished, canoed, swam, camped. It was a dream come true if you have a stressful job. Came back home and worked a 15 hour day, back to reality. My husband and I can't wait until we can be up there for months at a time. Unfortunately, we have to wait as both our jobs (insurance and pensions) are tied up here in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM

570 posts, read 1,746,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Got back from spending a week on our property near Bruce. Very small town and I can't tell you how relaxing and restoring it is. The motto for Rusk County is Unwind Your Mind, and boy is it appropriate. We fished, canoed, swam, camped. It was a dream come true if you have a stressful job. Came back home and worked a 15 hour day, back to reality. My husband and I can't wait until we can be up there for months at a time. Unfortunately, we have to wait as both our jobs (insurance and pensions) are tied up here in Illinois.
Heading back to our small home town for 3 weeks starting next week. Someday it will be permanent.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Heading back to our small home town for 3 weeks starting next week. Someday it will be permanent.
Yay! Have the best time!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 PM

867 posts, read 2,964,447 times
My mom is from a small town in Wisconsin (Black Creek, WI) and doesn't miss it at all.

She dated an adjunct Chinese math professor from UW-Oshkosh (my dad, only one year her senior) and as soon as they got married at the little Lutheran Church in BC in '82, my dad quit his gig at Oshkosh and they moved to Texas to participate in the oil boom. They never looked back. I honestly believe my dad was her ticket out of rural Wisconsin. According to my mom she prefers harsh Texas summers over harsh Wisconsin winters, & no state income tax. She also doesn't miss having the whole town know your business, which I found out the hard way while hanging out in bars in the Black Creek/Seymour area. I visit on occasion and I have an uncle that is rather well-known in that part of Outagamie Co., I'll just put it that way.

My dad has since had a great career developing/progamming directional drilling systems in Houston for Halliburton, so I know for damn sure he considers getting out of WI a sweet move.

However, WI in general does have its strongpoints compared to Texas -- not many issues with illegals, & "cleaner." I do particularly love Wisconsin's working/industrial ethos. (Harley Davidson, Briggs & Stratton, Miller Electric, Miller Brewing) Much more pro-union. Small towns in WI have lots of small businesses and seem to be very self-reliant. Blue-collar work is generally more respected in Wisconsin compared to Texas I've noticed.

I do intend on moving to Wisconsin to take care of the family farm one day, though. Having visited the Appleton/Outagamie Co. area extensively and some of Green Bay, I do agree it is a great place to live. My immediate family does occasionally flirt with the idea of moving back.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 07-09-2011 at 11:31 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Default Conn Farm in Longwood Wisconsin between Owen and Greenwood

Yet another great visit to my rural home where I grew up. Nothing better than living in the country in Wisconsin with 4 seasons!
Attached Thumbnails
Small town/country life in Wisconsin-sept.-29-003.jpg   Small town/country life in Wisconsin-sept.-29-008.jpg   Small town/country life in Wisconsin-sept.-29-011.jpg   Small town/country life in Wisconsin-sept.-29-027.jpg   Small town/country life in Wisconsin-gedc0388.jpg  

Last edited by notmuch69; 09-30-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM

61 posts, read 137,019 times
Great pics notmuch69. I admire your enthusiasm for small-town life. I've been checking weather up there in Wisconsin periodically and get so bummed that in Arizona we're still in the 80's to 90's (higher up there in Phoenix...yuck!) while Wisconsin is already getting that nice, chilly autumn weather. Oh well...here's hoping in three more years or so my spouse and I will be heading up that way as well.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Same here! 3 more years or so, then back home too the place I grew up! 100 degree forecast here this weekend in Phoenix and it's October

Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 PM

61 posts, read 137,019 times
I feel your pain. We'll get where we want to be though.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM

Loved the pics! Hope to get up to Bruce again next weekend-with any luck, colors will still be with us.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:27 PM

45 posts, read 81,986 times
i live in the middle of now were wisconsin.... and i love it when i went too la this summer i hated it it was puluted gross bums ever were nothing like were im from. no one hear cares if there style is like that movie star that they saw on tv or the latest trend because most of it is hammie down also people arnt spoiled in ruel wisconsin we work very hard for what we own and we make a small living us kids insted of spending summer break in the pool we have too do barn chores i think small town living is the best because thats what a grew up with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin