Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,788 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Wisconsin and would like to open a small
European Deli.It would be based on Polish-German products.I just dont know
if Mauston,Tomah,New LIsbon,or Adams have a need for a deli,considering there are big supermarkets in town.Although many residents are of European ethnic."Would You shop at a European deli?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,644 times
Yes, I would certainly try a European deli. Tomah is a nice town. The Southwestern part of the state is so beautiful--all the hills and valleys. Beautiful biking country!!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
You might find useful information on the area of Mauston, Tomah and another nearby town (Sparta) in this thread and this thread. In the former thread, you can pretty much disregard as ludicrous the suggestion that either town has a crime problem equivalent to that of Chicago.

Not sure how well a high-end European deli would do in the area. I would guess pretty well as long as you're actually in town. Mauston in particular seemed like the kind of place that would be receptive. I think an area that has more tourism is going to be better able to support that kind of business, and Mauston seemed to draw at least some tourism. Sparta draws some seasonal tourism mostly during warm weather because of a popular bike trail that starts (or terminates, depending on direction of travel) in Sparta.

Speaking of Tomah, I really must make a pilgrimage to Mr. Ed's Tee Pee this summer. Sounds like a good excuse to visit family in the Twin Cities.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:42 PM

40 posts, read 184,207 times
I don't know if Bernstad's would be your biggest competition or not, they're a European marketplace and grocery store.

What I HAVE heard is that the strip mall area on Superior Hwy in the past has not had good luck with keeping long term business. That may have changed.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 PM

9 posts, read 32,501 times
I would go to Reedsburg. Mauston seems to be a hard town to have a new business, and the town is really not growing too much if at all. Many people in Reedsburg commute to Madison for work, so they would love a deli of this type. Also Reedburg seems to be booming always looking to bring in new business.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM

50 posts, read 187,327 times
I live in Tomah and have all my life. I think your deli would go over great. Tomah is growning rather quickly. Really only two places to shop for deli items, one being Walmart. Which most of the people I talk to HATE IT and do wish another option would come to Tomah. I myself am a business owner, I have a store in a new strip mall in a great location! A friend of mine owns the strip mall (also a business owner/investor) we were just talking about how a deli would go over great in the strip mall, also talking about organic meat and veggie's. No good meat or fruit and veggies in this Town! There is space available in the strip mall! Anyhow what ever or where ever you choose, I say KUDOS to you!!!!!! Also got a house for sale!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 AM

50 posts, read 187,327 times
Not so sure I would try Sparta, I think any business just starting up would have a tuff go of it in Sparta. Burnstad's super market in Tomah is way on the south side of town, deli and produce quality is declining. Walmart is on the far north. The best place is north, but it's not as north as Walmart, next to three banks, V.A medical Center the area has no grocery/deli, but could use one

Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsekret View Post
A friend of mine owns the strip mall (also a business owner/investor) we were just talking about how a deli would go over great in the strip mall, also talking about organic meat and veggie's. No good meat or fruit and veggies in this Town!
I wonder if part of that isn't simply the business reality of trying to get essentially specialty grocery items delivered to an area fairly well outside of a metropolitan area cost-effectively. Hard to get a decent economy of scale in an isolated area for items like that, perhaps? I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin