Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM

122 posts, read 287,142 times

Advertisements

One place that I imagine Wisconsinites being able to assimilate to if they were seeking to get away from the cold might be Arkansas or even southern MO. My in-laws just retired to Arkansas, actually pretty close to Branson, MO, I think Mountain Home is the name of the town but they live out in the country. They have plentiful hunting and fishing all around. Land is pretty cheap to buy, taxes are low. We went down there to visit once, the landscape is much like WI. It was a little hard to get past the confederate flags you'd see driving around. LOL! I'm not really sure how they feel towards outsiders but the in-laws have met some really nice outgoing people and they love it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
One place that I imagine Wisconsinites being able to assimilate to if they were seeking to get away from the cold might be Arkansas or even southern MO. My in-laws just retired to Arkansas, actually pretty close to Branson, MO, I think Mountain Home is the name of the town but they live out in the country. They have plentiful hunting and fishing all around. Land is pretty cheap to buy, taxes are low. We went down there to visit once, the landscape is much like WI. It was a little hard to get past the confederate flags you'd see driving around. LOL! I'm not really sure how they feel towards outsiders but the in-laws have met some really nice outgoing people and they love it there.
The forested settings might be similar in some respects, but I see very few similarities between the two areas politically, culturally, socially, etc. I have never considered southern Missouri or northern Arkansas to be part of the Midwest either.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:19 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,044,180 times
Quote:
As far as landscapes are concerned, I do see a lot of similarities between Arkansas and Wisconsin, endless lakes and forests. Coincidentally, Arkansas is to Dallas what Wisconsin is to Chicago. However, like GS said, that's where the similarities end.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,392,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
If left Wisconsin and came to Florida..a very long time ago. It was "Home" from the first day I arrived. (oh had been here on vacation prior)
I think my "guardian angel" sent me here.
I found my carreer and was successful at at.
I married and raised my kids here.

I do not and never did like the cold. I would die if I ever had to go back there. I used to mentally hibernate all winter and only woke up in the Spring. I hate wearing a lot of clothes...I think I am a Pore Breather.
I think it's cool how you found the right place for you. I think it's fascinating to read posts like this and realize how differently some people are wired. I couldn't imagine warm weather all year round. I feel like if I only have a few months of warm/hot weather I appreciate it more.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,424,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
I have been doing research on where my husband and I should move to, since we decided to leave WI (we live near Green Bay). I thought, I wonder where other people from WI moved to and if they found the perfect place for them?!

We would like to move some place that has all 4 seasons but milder and shorter winters and longer springtimes; lower taxes, low crime, lots of shopping, things to do etc...you know, all the basics and just an all round nice place to live!

Thank you!

I left Wisconsin in 1976.. was a Californian for 15 years - and married my Los Angeles-borne husband and moved 20 years ago to Northern Utah.

Four Seasons for sure - snow in winter - but not BONE-chilling like Wisconsin. TONS of outdoor activities. Low Taxes (in comparison to Wisconsin, that is) Low crime. Shopping? Yes. Nice place to live? Yes.

And guess what - lots of former Wisconsinites here too.

But all in all - in terms of character - alot like the Wisconsin I grew up in. Heavy Scandinavian, German, Finnish community (yes, Mormon but very much like the German Lutherans I grew up around in Madison).

Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM

869 posts, read 1,558,850 times
Quote:
For those of you thinking of moving to NC think again. I'm originally from Green Bay, college at River Falls but have lived in IA for the past 13 years. My hubby and I just moved to the Raleigh/Durham area last year. There are some things you should know about this area. It is NOT the land of milk and honey no matter what you read. The Research Triangle is not immune from the problems of a weak economy. Unemployment here is higher than the national average, last I heard. Everyone on the NC board suggests having a job lined up before you consider moving there and that is definitely advice well taken!

We moved here because my hubby lost his job and then got an opportunity here. It took me 5 months to find a job at a 50% paycut and I consider myself fortunate. I'm in biotech. There are many scientist types out of work and all competing for the same jobs. Its scary. There are PhD scientists here applying for entry level laboratory technician jobs!

It is much more expensive to live here. That was a shock. Sales tax is almost 9% in some areas. Property taxes, real estate, everything is more expensive here.

But these aren't even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is this feeling of hostility towards outsiders, particularily towards northerners. It is the south. You figure, everyone flocked here for a better life and basically wrecked what they had going. I watched it all happen in western WI myself, as all the Minnesotans moved across the border for cheap and plentiful real estate. Look at what happened to Hudson!

So, if you really want to move here, be prepared for the not-so-warm-welcome. Just sayin. And they do not move too fast around here. No one seems to care about how well a job gets done, particularily in service industries. Now I understand what is meant by the "midwestern work ethic." I didn't get that before. Personally, I can't wait to get the hell outta here and move back to either WI or IA and I will. As soon as I can get my plan together, it'll happen. Cold doesn't bother me.

All I can say is that if you really think this is the place for you, go check it out first and really explore it before doing something you might regret later.
I had some relatives who moved to the Triangle and they didn't experience the "northern hosility" you described. In fact, most everyone they know is a northern transplant. The few natives they met were not mean.

Oh well, I guess people have different experiences.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 PM

598 posts, read 1,540,684 times
Quote:

I know that area well. I'm originally from a small town near La Crosse and my wife is from Gainesville, MO (near Mountain Home).

I agree with you...the landscape as well as the friendliness of the people are very similar. When I go back there, I feel like I'm at home.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,721 times
Moved from Rice Lake to Yankton, SD. Love it! No state taxes here, second-lowest unemployment rate in the nation, lowest housing prices in the nation, less humidity, and 10 degrees warmer year round on average. The people are nicer, alcohol is less a part of the culture. Rice Lake is slowly turning from a manufacturing city into a tourism and service city. They also have city officials that I can remember in high school as pot heads and ne'er-do-wells, and, to the best of my knowledge, still don't have a post-high school education.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,839,994 times
I grew up in Wis. and lived there a total of about 30 years. Left the state at 38 and will never move back. I can think of all kinds of places I'd rather live than Wis. High taxes, long cold winters, many short summers with long stretches of cool wet weather, the dreaded mosquitos. Never leaving home without a jacket. When the sun is out in the summer or early fall, its absolutely beautiful. Still love the Packers but its just not enough to ever want to go back.

Top suggestions for moving. If you want to retire? Southern Missouri or Arkansas. Hunting fishing golf, lots of trees, low cost of living.

Dallas suburbs and most of Texas has great employment opportunities, very diverse population, low taxes, low housing costs, low cost of living, receptive people. Lots of people in Texas are from other places so you'll likely fit right in.

Indiana is also nice if you don't want to move far away. Winters much milder, and longer summers.

Can't really recommdend North Carolina if you have kids. Schools are pretty bad by comparison to Wisc. Unemployment is also still hight there. Also the locals don't tend to like yankees. Otherwise, great place to retire, low cost of living if you can find someplace with lots of other retirees. Areas around military bases would be a possibility.

There are other places I've visited that are also great. I always remembered while living in Wisc. that almost all the people I knew were from there. People living other places for the most part will not move there because of the harsh winters. I can also tell you from experience that lots of people that move away would not consider moving back.

PrairieParson

Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,392,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbeltran View Post
Moved from Rice Lake to Yankton, SD. Love it! No state taxes here, second-lowest unemployment rate in the nation, lowest housing prices in the nation, less humidity, and 10 degrees warmer year round on average. The people are nicer, alcohol is less a part of the culture. Rice Lake is slowly turning from a manufacturing city into a tourism and service city. They also have city officials that I can remember in high school as pot heads and ne'er-do-wells, and, to the best of my knowledge, still don't have a post-high school education.
I don't agree with your assessment of Rice Lake since I live here, but yeah some things have changed and not all for the better. If I were rich, I'd bring the city bus back. This is kind of a small thing maybe, to some people, but their grocery store Marketplace is awesome. Always so neat and well-stocked, with quality things.... a few different things than what I'm used to. (And great pizza. That Supremo Delizioso stuff in their bakery holds up to Drags, IMO.) I'm sure some people are thinking, "Huh?" But it puts the Albertson's chain out West where I used to live to shame. I go in there and just think "This is great." lol All the labels are always facing the same way. Always so clean... obviously they hold the place to high standards.
I will admit, I enjoy the slower pace of life. Even going to Eau Claire you notice a difference. It shifts to a slightly more rushed/hectic feeling... naturally. It's bigger. But that slower pace is something I don't mind being a part of again.
You're right though -they definitely are playing up the tourism angle more than I remember in previous years. But it's a subtle difference, not a huge one.
When I first moved back a few months ago I thought, "I might check out rentals in Eau Claire, I think I've outgrown this place"... but I've assimilated again and am enjoying it. I won't be here forever, but it's good for now. I'm eyeing LaCrosse, Eau Claire, or maybe even Baraboo or Madison area eventually... we'll see....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin