U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 04:13 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,675,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
I moved from Hayward Wisconsin to Kalispell Montana for 12 years and recently moved back to the Northwoods. Cost of living in Montana was off the hook crazy!!! I bought a 12 year old house here west of Minocqua on acreage with a big garage and a pole barn for 190K FURNISHED! The same place in Montana would be an EASY half million. I went from working 7 days a week to stay afloat in Montana to 4 days a week here and recreating 3!
Prices never recovered from the recession in Minocqua. Lost 90% on one piece, bought in 07 and sold in 14. Still oppresed realestate prices.

Lived outside Minocqua from 99 to 13. If a person did not need to work, it was OK. Long Winters, short tourist filled summers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 06:39 AM

9,883 posts, read 2,761,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post

I grew up in Shorewood/Milwaukee.. People always talk about the "change of seasons" in Wisconsin.. to me it's constantly overcast, cold, and damp there.. except for 6 weeks of summer. I spent (2) months in Milwaukee about 2 years ago and couldn't wait to get out. Wisconsin is a great place to grow up/raise a family..but it's just waaaaaaaaaay too conservative for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2015 View Post

I guess if I had to sum up the people here I'd say they're overly confrontational. I held these feelings in for seven years before I shared them online but its been seven years of complete hell because daily I run into rude people here. They argue everything you say it's like shut the hell up already. I swear it leaves you screaming and running to ohare airport as fast as possible or wanting to shove a loaf of bread down their throats. Bunch of blowhards my God it is like Frasier multiplied by a million. bla bla bla bla bla bla You say hey Wisconsin you said it all!! YOU AIN'T KIDDING ABOUT THAT BTW. Highlight of entertainment is lighting stinkers and sniffing results.

Visitors reading this I'll let you in on a little secret as someone who's worked in telecom for years. Most cable television viewers as well as blog posters reside in this part of the world. Within that statistic a great deal of the bloggers in fact reside in Wisconsin esp on sites like yahoo comments and yahoo answers. Think about that, for a state which supposedly has so much to do and its people do so much outside isn't it interesting how they also find time to be so vocal and actively involved on the web and watch so much television! It's also interesting how they manage to do so much outside with the unpredictability of their climate as i mentioned about. Here this site provides a good graphic of weather predictability by region and as you can plainly see Wisconsin is near the bottom of predictability.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...table-weather/
I can't contribute to the main question of this thread as we are moving from the Denver area to Door County, Wisconsin for our retirement, but I am wondering about the above.

First, we have vacationed in Door County in June and October, and October was just gorgeous, and June was very nice and green, although a bit rainy (which we like). I have also checked Accuweather for daily highs and lows for each month, and, yes, DC is very cold, but certainly not for six months! (In Denver we had a recent spell of single digits, which is unusual, and it doesn't bother us all.) Btw, weather unpredictablity is nothing unusual for many people who live in Colorado. In winter, we can have a high of 70 degrees one day and snow the next!

Second, we thought that the all the people were very friendly and nice; and, in fact, I even started a thread saying that I thought Wisconsinites might be the friendliest state in the U.S. (and I have been to about 35 of them). Yes, many people who responded to that thread saying that was not true, that Wisconsinites were just "fake friendly", and it was also pointed out that Door County is a tourist kind of place, at least in the summer and, to paraphrase, "of course people would appear to be nice because they want the tourist dollars". However, many others agreed with me that Wisconsinites are friendly, and so I got the idea that it is a case of the usual "urban (Milwaukee) vs. rural" differences in opinion, based on what they personally liked and/or had experienced.

So, in your opinion, is what I italicized above true or not? (Btw, we are introverted and politically moderate, so our decision to move there is not affected by the people we encounter. We are much more "nervous" about the mosquitoes than we are about our future neighbors, LOL!)

And, yes, I do agree that Door County was a little strange to us in the hours that restaurants keep. Two of those we wanted to try for breakfast did not open until 8:00, and many were completely closed during peak foliage season! (We also encountered this latter situation when we vacationed in New Hampshire.)

P.S. Oh, and regarding posting (blogs, etc.), I don't doubt that what Todd wrote is true, but I was surprised about how rarely people post to the Wisconsin forum and threads compared to forums and threads of Colorado. Colorado has slightly less population than Wisconsin (5.6 million vs. 5.8 million), and yet Colorado forums and threads are almost constantly changing, while the same thread can be at the "top of the list" for Wisconsin for hours without a single new post being added.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-06-2019 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 AM

9,883 posts, read 2,761,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENCOS View Post
I escaped Wisconsin when I graduated from high school, best move I ever made. I have lived all over the West. The person who compares Boulder to Madison is probably correct, but the original poster is writing about Colorado Springs. Even Denver has a lower COL than Madison. Durango is extremely expensive. All in all CO beats WI for living. I now live in AZ, and it's great. COL is a whole lot lower than WI. The climate (high desert) is similar to MSN, not like PHX at all. But, the days are clearer and the snow doesn't last more than 3 days. The poster from NM is close to being right, but there's a lot of crime in the ABQ area. These are my own opinions and observations, backed up by several friends and relatives.
The above poster is spot on about the Colorado climate and weather, but I personally don't like the climate here. (However, there is a website that compares COL from one place to another, and both Milwaukee and Green Bay has a 28-38% lower COL than Littleton, CO, according to the following calculator, for an annual Littleton income between 50K and $100k. Littleton, btw, is a Denver suburb.)

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

P.S. I also just checked for Denver vs. Madison, and according to that site, Madison's COL is actually about 24% lower than Denver.

Last edited by Yac; 03-07-2019 at 12:21 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 PM

212 posts, read 184,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Prices never recovered from the recession in Minocqua. Lost 90% on one piece, bought in 07 and sold in 14. Still oppresed realestate prices.

Lived outside Minocqua from 99 to 13. If a person did not need to work, it was OK. Long Winters, short tourist filled summers.

Prices are coming around. My wife is a realtor and homes are going under contract days after listing, Sometimes hours. Good builders are 2 years out on new construction right now. ll i do is maintain vacation homes and am busier than i want to be..............

Old 03-07-2019, 07:29 AM

579 posts, read 446,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
P.S. Oh, and regarding posting (blogs, etc.), I don't doubt that what Todd wrote is true, but I was surprised about how rarely people post to the Wisconsin forum and threads compared to forums and threads of Colorado. Colorado has slightly less population than Wisconsin (5.6 million vs. 5.8 million), and yet Colorado forums and threads are almost constantly changing, while the same thread can be at the "top of the list" for Wisconsin for hours without a single new post being added.
There are at least 6 obvious reasons why no one rarely posts to the Wisconsin forum. A quick glance at just a few threads will give you your answer.

But welcome to Door County when you finally get there. I just purchased some property up there also. I have no plans for it at this time, but there is a ton of things to do up there so who knows what my future will bring.

Last edited by TRlaura; 03-07-2019 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 03-08-2019, 03:18 PM

1,549 posts, read 277,180 times
I moved to Arizona from Wisconsin in 1981. I've lived here ever since.

I grew up in Hartland, WI. Loved growing up in a small town and have many great memories of that time. I went into the army right out of high school and spent 3 years overseas (Korea) and three years in Louisiana before I got out of the Army. I moved back to Wisconsin in 79. After 3 years of mild Louisiana winters I found it difficult to re-acclimate to the brutal Wisconsin winters. Even the winters in Korea (contrary to popular belief) were mild compared to Wisconsin winters. In January 1981 I had a chance to move to Arizona as my girlfriend at the time was offered a job there (I was in school). In March of 81 we moved to the Phoenix area.

The pros from my experience:

-Great weather from mid-October through mid-May. Even the hot summers didn't bother me until I hit my 50's. But, in the worst of the summer heat, it's still better than shoveling snow, being cold all the time and all the other nastiness that goes with living through Midwest winters.

-Close proximity to San Diego to the West if you like the ocean (we do) and Flagstaff to the North if you want to play in the snow (we don't).

-Some folks like close proximity to Mexico (Rocky Point).

-Reasonable cost of living compared to our neighbors in California.

-Many good Mexican and Asian restaurants in the Phoenix metro area as well as other specialty restaurants and standard American fare in all price ranges.

-Pro and college sports teams, spring baseball training, golf, concert venues as well as spectacular landscapes through out the state.

The cons: Much has changed in the 38 years I've lived here, not all for the better.

-It gets real hot in the summer. You need a reliable AC system and a trustworthy, reliable AC maintenance guy. We hunker down in the summer like you do in the winter.

-The population of Phoenix metro is over 4.5 million now, so traffic is always heavy, and can be a nightmare during rush hour. If possible find work as close as possible to where you live to avoid spending hours sitting in traffic. In addition, there are plenty of really bad drivers out here, but I'm not sure that is unique to Arizona. Keep a large space around you in traffic and expect people to blow through red lights at every intersection.

-Public transportation is not great if you depend on it. I never have, but some folks do.

-We have experienced a recent influx of transplants from other states, including California. Hopefully they won't come here and try to make Arizona into the disaster they are leaving in California.

-Certain elements of the newcomers have difficulty abiding by common courtesies like using crosswalks, obeying traffic signals, not having loud phone conversations in the grocery store, exposing large portions of buttocks in public, shopping in pajamas, and my personal favorite, parking in handicap parking without a permit.

We are now retired and have kids and grandkids in the area, so we will stay here. I do visit Wisconsin, but only in the Summer.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:13 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,623,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoranges View Post
People in the south, unlike Wisconsin, are not grudgeful. I think that's why they're happier. They're not touchy or self-righteous or judgemental either. You can "enjoy" people in the South, rather than having to "cope" with them.

Disagree. People in the south seem to hold on to / hide their feelings until they get to know you very well, then you'll find out what kind of person they really are. People in Wisconsin seem to express their feelings right off the bat, and I miss that a lot. I'd rather know where I stand with somebody on an issue instead of having to ride out the "get-to-know-you" stage and find out later. I love the south and the short Winters, but it can be frustrating walking around on your tippy toes trying not to offend people.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
-Close proximity to San Diego to the West if you like the ocean (we do) and Flagstaff to the North if you want to play in the snow (we don't).

Don't many Arizonans go to the Gulf of California in Mexico for ocean visits? Places like Puerto Penasco, Mexico?

Old 04-05-2019, 04:40 AM

10,119 posts, read 8,781,526 times
We are moving back to Wi this summer. We've lived in several places out of state over the years, but gladly moving back, cold winters and all.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 AM

212 posts, read 184,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We are moving back to Wi this summer. We've lived in several places out of state over the years, but gladly moving back, cold winters and all.

I've lived in Texas, Florida, Montana, Illinois and Alaska. I'll take Wisconsin over any of them.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or