Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2015 View Post
Going to a 10 o'clock show or meeting colleagues from work at the local sports pub to have a beer. Some folks around here think if you're in your 30's, 40's or above and out past 9 pm you're going through a mid-life crisis, possess a drinking problem or unfaithful to your spouse. That is such stereotypical Midwestern nonsense and I've witnessed it a million times so don't act like it doesn't go on. Meanwhile in large cities elsewhere whether it be Los Angeles, New York or wherever this goes on regularly and no one gives it a second thought (or at least not like they do here). Most people here my age turn their lights off and go to sleep by 7:30 at night. It is so lame witnessing such a large majority of people doing this especially on the weekends. I saw this kind of behavior when I lived in Janesville, Madison and Oak Creek so if you think moving to another city within the state resolves this problem you're sadly mistaking. Heck some communities now don't even have a 9 o'clock show anymore and have done away with it. After some careful research I learned the city counsel in one community was actually pressuring business to turn its lights off and close earlier. This is seriously messed up because not everyone is a house mouse. If you all want to live like hermits fine that is your thing but when you start pressing this on everyone else like it should be the norm that is like a cult and messed up. I seriously worry about the depression levels of younger generations in this part of the country because I can barely take it myself and I'm older.
O fer shure LOL. If Wisconsin is known for anything, it's the prudish attitude toward being at a tavern past 9pm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
O fer shure LOL. If Wisconsin is known for anything, it's the prudish attitude toward being at a tavern past 9pm....
Haha, I had a good chuckle too. We're all flyover country to that poster

Old 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM

2,659 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt _farmer View Post
Bend, Oregon! The most beautiful place I've ever been. (Google it, sometime).

But, alas, after 18 years here, I am moving back to Wisconsin. I miss being near family, especially my elderly father who probably doesn't have a ton of time left. And the job prospects in Madison are much better than Bend (population 80,000).
Agree on Bend - awesome place with a lot of outdoorsy things to do, beautiful scenery and lots of sun! Could definitely see retirement out there..

I understand it is a hard place to make a living as California retirees with $ are really driving up prices.

Moved to Oregon from WI via a short stint in IL. Don't miss the midwest - seem to have nicer QoL here.
Individual circumstances are big drivers though - what works for one, may not work for another.

Coming to WI in two weeks for work. Looking forward to hiking my land near Adams.
Have not seen it in four years. Hope my "retirement trees" are doing well!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:47 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This made me laugh out loud, for real.

Every Friday as a kid, I had a view of buttocks in a bar. Surrounded by a sea of grown up rumps, trying to make my way to the jukebox, quarters clutched in my fist. Get home at midnight... up at 6 to watch cartoons!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
Bend, Oregon is being "Aspenized" by the local owners of the ski resort. Soon it will look like every ski resort in the West and will cost as much.

We were checking it out ourselves and I gave it a thumbs down. At the time the unemployment rates was 16% and the town was dead except for the expensive areas.

You're out in the middle of nowhere with no access to a decent airport to get out of there.

Uh.....NOPE.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Going to a 10 o'clock show or meeting colleagues from work at the local sports pub to have a beer. Some folks around here think if you're in your 30's, 40's or above and out past 9 pm you're going through a mid-life crisis, possess a drinking problem or unfaithful to your spouse. That is such stereotypical Midwestern nonsense and I've witnessed it a million times so don't act like it doesn't go on. Meanwhile in large cities elsewhere whether it be Los Angeles, New York or wherever this goes on regularly and no one gives it a second thought (or at least not like they do here). Most people here my age turn their lights off and go to sleep by 7:30 at night. It is so lame witnessing such a large majority of people doing this especially on the weekends. I saw this kind of behavior when I lived in Janesville, Madison and Oak Creek so if you think moving to another city within the state resolves this problem you're sadly mistaking. Heck some communities now don't even have a 9 o'clock show anymore and have done away with it. After some careful research I learned the city counsel in one community was actually pressuring business to turn its lights off and close earlier. This is seriously messed up because not everyone is a house mouse. If you all want to live like hermits fine that is your thing but when you start pressing this on everyone else like it should be the norm that is like a cult and messed up. I seriously worry about the depression levels of younger generations in this part of the country because I can barely take it myself and I'm older.
I don't know where you live here but I live in Milwaukee. Your assessment is bizarre. Maybe don't live in a small town, problem solved.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 11,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't know where you live here but I live in Milwaukee. Your assessment is bizarre. Maybe don't live in a small town, problem solved.
I've lived in Milwaukee, Atlanta, Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, San Diego, Minneapolis, Houston, Madison, Phoenix, Des Moines and Philly. My assessment is spot on and everyone I've met in Milwaukee or Madison face to face all brought the subject up before I did and agree unanimously. It's all they talked about was fact that this state sucks and all people do is drink, watch sports and sleep all the time.

Last edited by todd2015; 03-29-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 PM

9 posts, read 11,771 times
And by the way I have no negative opinion toward anyone who drinks I mean how can you not in times like these. It seems like the entire world wants to destroy us. I just think life is too short to live like some of these people in places like Waukesha, Janesville, Madison and elsewhere. Milwaukee or Chicago are definitely the better of all other places around here. When I worked for HP all I did was hang out in Milwaukee or Chicago. When you float out to the burbs people are putting their kids to bed around 6:30 at night and going to bed themselves about an hour later. If you get up at 7 a.m. why in God's name do you need to be in bed by 7 the night before? I mean think about it if you lay there for an hour and finally fall asleep 8 to 7 is 11 hours of rest. That is totally unhealthy for you and depressing in my opinion and it's rubbing off on the normal people. I'd make those kids do a few miles on the treadmill and put them to bed by 9 or 10. lol

Oh and the hours of stuff around here cracks me up. Did it ever dawn on leadership and business the reason retails sales are down is because you hold hours not suitable for the consumer. If you want peoples money it's a little hard to get it if you are closed all the time.

Last edited by todd2015; 03-29-2015 at 08:43 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Quote:
And by the way I have no negative opinion toward anyone who drinks I mean how can you not in times like these. It seems like the entire world wants to destroy us. I just think life is too short to live like some of these people in places like Waukesha, Janesville, Madison and elsewhere. Milwaukee or Chicago are definitely the better of all other places around here. When I worked for HP all I did was hang out in Milwaukee or Chicago. When you float out to the burbs people are putting their kids to bed around 6:30 at night and going to bed themselves about an hour later. If you get up at 7 a.m. why in God's name do you need to be in bed by 7 the night before? I mean think about it if you lay there for an hour and finally fall asleep 8 to 7 is 11 hours of rest. That is totally unhealthy for you and depressing in my opinion and it's rubbing off on the normal people. I'd make those kids do a few miles on the treadmill and put them to bed by 9 or 10. lol

Oh and the hours of stuff around here cracks me up. Did it ever dawn on leadership and business the reason retails sales are down is because you hold hours not suitable for the consumer. If you want peoples money it's a little hard to get it if you are closed all the time.
WHo on earth are you talking about? You can't expect to gain credibility with broad statements like these. I've lived in WI for decades, and know no one like this.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 AM

174 posts, read 231,729 times
I lived in Wisconsin for 38 years and never did I go to bed at 7:00 and I lived in a town of 5000 don't know where you are getting that from. I know lots of people in Wisc and they don't go to bed at 7:00 either unless they needed the sleep. May be some businesses actually want their employees and themselves to actually have some time to be with their families instead of staying open until 10 or 12 pm to get that last dollar. I am living in NH now and am actually moving back to Wisc next year and can't wait to get there after a long absence and enjoy things that you seem to be so upset about. Good luck with your life. Gonna need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin