Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 09:11 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times

Advertisements

We are anticipating traveling to Wisconsin (to the Osh Kosh area) in early June and I have a few questions.

What is the weather generally like in June? I have been to Wisconsin in the Spring, and Fall, but not in early summer. Is it into the higher summer temperatures by then, or still somewhat cool? We are flying and trying to limit ourselves to just our carry on bags, so we are wondering what type of clothing would be prudent to pack.

Also, do you anticipate that most things in the state, under the present circumstances, will be opened back up by then, like restaurants and bars? From what I can find online, it looks like the tentative "re-open" date set by the Governor is May 28th, but the information is vague about what that actually means as far as what will be able to open. I know that several festivals have been cancelled for this year, but we are hoping to at least go out for a few meals, grab some beers, and walk in some of the parks while we are there.

I truly appreciate any help from Wisconsin residents, especially those in the Fox Valley area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 07:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Hi OP. In general for traveling with everything going on, it will probably be a roll of the dice on what you may or may not be able to do in June. Yes the current guidelines run past Memorial Day, I personally don’t have a lot of confidence that June will be much better. Our state parks were opened earlier in the month and record attendance was seen; closing many of those parks. Now they are to reopen this weekend with limitations but I can see that not going well again. I truly hope it gets better for us all and soon but anyone should be prepared to deal with closures and limits regardless of location. Your visit just may need to include some “impulse time” to react when you are here to be able to do anything.
Weather will average in the 60’s to 80’s overall, knowing a cloudy/rainy day can drop temps a good 10 degrees. So if your carry one can include shorts, pants, shirts and sweats you may be covered lol. Seriously if a short trip then a carry one should work, but if here more than a few days you may need more.

Good luck in your trip, just keep monitoring the status here to ensure the travel works for ya.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:52 PM

Thank you ranger17 for such helpful information, I truly appreciate it.

Are most restaurants up there (and Culver's of course!) operating on a drive-through, take-out, or curbside basis? We have a nice place to stay near Lake Winnebago, but we don't plan on doing any cooking beyond breakfast, so hoping to still get some good Wisconsin eats at lunch and dinnertime.

I hope people will be prudent about going to the parks and beaches if they reopen them again so that they will be able to remain open. We want to also do a good bit of walking.

Again, thanks for the information.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:04 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
The Culvers by us in the Madison area are open for curb side and drive thru; I’d assume that’s the case for them across the region. I get wanting that, we lived in SC a few years before moving back and would hit Culvers every visit here. Usually several times lol.
Local type spots are hit and miss, some are open and doing well and others were closed for the time being. I’d defer to Fox Valley area members as to what other eateries are doing right now. All knowing it’s subject to change. Sad to say.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
I'd say it would be difficult to plan. The weather can still be quite overcast and cool in June, highs only in tge 70's. Its also impossible to say what our tyrant in Madison will do. There might be few or no changes in June. Depends on how they falsify the numbers.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'd say it would be difficult to plan. The weather can still be quite overcast and cool in June, highs only in tge 70's. Its also impossible to say what our tyrant in Madison will do. There might be few or no changes in June. Depends on how they falsify the numbers.
Yes, I'm a little bit worried about him extending the shut-downs into June, but that's when we have made arrangements to come. He has about as much good sense as our Governor here. Got to love that dogs are allowed to get "groomed" now, but not humans. I appreciate your tip on the weather. I love 70 degree weather, and we'll be sure to pack light jackets.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:34 AM

904 posts, read 665,504 times
Weather in June is all over the place. Sometimes 90s sometimes 60s. Depending where you are coming from, we might think 60s is fine weather and you may be freezing. We live in Central WI. My husband does business all over the central region and into the Fox Valley. Since I am working from home sometimes I go along for the ride. We will be in Appleton tomorrow. Places are open for curb side pick up and drive through. It is hard to say what will happen in June.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
The Culvers by us in the Madison area are open for curb side and drive thru; I’d assume that’s the case for them across the region. I get wanting that, we lived in SC a few years before moving back and would hit Culvers every visit here. Usually several times lol.
Yeah, our tradition is to hit the first Culver's we see! That's how we know we have really arrived in Wisconsin. One on every corner . Got to get those freshly fried cheese curds and cup of custard.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:19 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
70 in June sounds like heaven to us southerners.

The state parks are taking reservations for camping with June 1st being the earliest date you can reserve.

Some were shut down due to overcrowding and vandalism.
Someone should take not of that psychological experiment.
Most places I've lived, state parks were completely free to enter, with camping costing extra of course. None of them were any more civilized otherwise than Wisconsin, but none ever seemed to have much problem with vandalism and abuse of privileges either.
Charge people money, and they'll take care of it.
Make free something that usually costs money: they go crazy.
Never charge money to begin with: they'll probably not go crazy.
Of course, now they've gone back to entrance fees and have to have a car sticker, but can't get just a day pass. I still get a little perturbed about having to pay money just to visit a taxpayer funded state park, but oh well.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:36 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I still get a little perturbed about having to pay money just to visit a taxpayer funded state park, but oh well.
It's been my understanding that the Wisconsin state legislature, following a recommendation from former governor Walker, has eliminated taxpayer funding to state parks:

https://www.wpr.org/fee-changes-wisc...ble-first-year

«Last year, the state Legislature's move to cut park system funding positioned the DNR to rely more heavily on fees and revenue. The state budget gave the DNR authority to set its park rates.» (from April 16, 2019)

Of course, things may have changed since the article was published, but it's my understanding that state parks rely on fees and sales revenue to sustain themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin