Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM

54 posts, read 174,241 times

Advertisements

I have been doing research on where my husband and I should move to, since we decided to leave WI (we live near Green Bay). I thought, I wonder where other people from WI moved to and if they found the perfect place for them?!

We would like to move some place that has all 4 seasons but milder and shorter winters and longer springtimes; lower taxes, low crime, lots of shopping, things to do etc...you know, all the basics and just an all round nice place to live!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Moved to IL (Arlington Heights) last year.
Lifelong Wiscosiniters before (47)

Good things:
1. Diversity of people, culture and thoughts
2. More friendly, outgoing people
3. More entertainment options
4. higher wages
5. estimate of 2-3 weeks nicer weather than GB.
6. Lower income tax

Bad things
1. Housing prices and COL
2. Ridiculous sales tax (we buy lots of things in WI)
3. Traffic (need to structure life correctly or could be big problem)

Why are you leaving WI? You will probably get better responses if you provide this reason.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times
Hi, freetohope!

When I was 10 years old, my dad moved our family from Wisconsin (where for generations my relatives has lived) to Eastern Washington. We lived there for ten years, and we loved it. My dad moved our family back to Wisconsin when I was 20, just a few months after I got married. My hubby and I followed a few months later, but we only stayed for six months. We've moved all over since then, having lived in Mississippi, Oregon, California, Arizona, and Idaho.

My family has always wanted us to live back in Wisconsin near to them, but as you may read in a couple other posts I've made, we haven't made it there for a number of reasons. One huge one, relating to your question, is the weather in Wisconsin. Winters are harsh, and my husband is esp. intolerant of harsh, cold, dreary, windy, long winters, and I don't like them either, of course. We love being active outdoors for most of the year, and we very much enjoy milder seasons.

Here in SW Idaho, we have all four seasons, but they are much milder than Wisconsin. In Eastern Washington it's the same story, although the winter is a touch colder and snowier there than in SW Idaho. I love Eastern Washington, and my heart is still there. I'd love to live there again (Spokane area) and raise our family there. Central Oregon, specifically the Bend area, is gorgeous and known for it's mild seasons and variety of outdoor activities to enjoy. That is one area we have always talked of moving, but getting work there is pretty tough. When we lived in Oregon we lived in Corvallis, an hour from the coast. We loved that town and all the beauty around, but the long, dreary, rainy winters were too tough to deal with.

So my recommendation is somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. We love it here, all three states, Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, and we'll probably be somewhere around here for the rest of our lives, which is a wonderful thing because it is overall a very enjoyable place to live.

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,287 times
Moved to Colorado Springs and love it here.

Four seasons, but fairly mild...snow melts fast. Very few bugs, low humidity and lots of outdoor activities, year round.

A few more Colorado Springs facts:
No. 5: Colorado Springs, Colo. - Kiplinger.com
Best Places For Business And Careers - Forbes.com
And many facts quoted here:
http://www.coloradosprings.org/Media...ture600kps.wmv

Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM

570 posts, read 1,752,763 times
I grew up in the country in Wisconsin as a child. During that time my parents moved to Laramie Wyoming for 1 year and to Texarkana Texas for 1 year. I hated both of those places, probably because I had to live in the city. When I was 17 I joined the Air Force and have spent 20 years in Arizona and New Mexico and 4 years in Japan and Korea. The whole while dreaming of the day I can retire and move back to Wisconsin. Phoenix and Tucson were fun when I was a single and a full time partier. Now that I'm married with children, I can't wait to move back to the country in Wisconsin. I'm an outdoors person so growing up in the country and having lots of land to roam around on is what I liked most. My family had 740 acres, half wooded with lots of trails, a river, and two creeks. I didn't have to go anywhere away from home to have fun, it was all right there outside the door. I could safely take my bike or walk down the gravel road or through the field to visit friends and relatives, and there was no crime in our small towns or schools. I love the summers, the spring floods and mud, messing around in the snow and ice in the winter, and the fall frost and trees changing color.
I also want my children to grow up and go to school in a small town away from all the f'd up city crap. I honestly say that if someone offered me a billion dollars to not move back home to Wisconsin, I wouldn't take it.

As far as Wisconsin cities go, I don't think I would enjoy living in a Wisconsin city. It would be totally different, the winters probably would just be a burden. This forum seems to reflect that, the city people seem to be the ones with all the negative feedback.

Last edited by notmuch69; 06-10-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
I have been doing research on where my husband and I should move to, since we decided to leave WI (we live near Green Bay). I thought, I wonder where other people from WI moved to and if they found the perfect place for them?!

We would like to move some place that has all 4 seasons but milder and shorter winters and longer springtimes; lower taxes, low crime, lots of shopping, things to do etc...you know, all the basics and just an all round nice place to live!

Thank you!
I was never a Wisconsinite, but my father is(born and raised in Milwaukee). He moved to the Deep South during the 1980s and moved to other places around the USA. Right now, his current residence is in the metro Atlanta area. He doesn't like it very much. I don't blame him either. I live in the metro Atlanta area too, and I am trying to get out of there myself.
To my father, Milwaukee is home.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
I am originally from Colorado, I was born in Grand Junction and grew up in Denver until I was 9 years old. The economy in Denver was really bad in the early 90's, so my parents, who were both originally from Wisconsin, moved my brother and I to the Fox Valley. I really resented being uprooted from my friends back in Denver and hated living in such a small town. I never even gave Wisconsin a real chance. When I was much older and looking for places to go to college for recording arts I saw that CU-Denver had a really good program, so I decided to return to my childhood home that I had such fond memories of. At first it seemed like a really great experience, mainly because I wasn't in Wisconsin anymore. I gave it a shot for almost 5 years, but eventually I couldn't wait to move back to Wisconsin and be around my real friends and family. Some people are OK seeing their relatives and childhood friends once a year or so, while others need the warm embrace of family and friends on a continual basis. I missed so much living away from Wisconsin like weddings, funerals, births, and other monumental life events that really made me want to return home. I like Wisconsin now and couldn't imagine living any place else. We have our own unique culture here in Wisconsin, something that was sorely missing in Colorado. As I've come to find out most places don't have a cultural identity anymore, especially these places in the Sunbelt that are inundated with transplants from all over the US.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Thank you all for your response! We are moving in large part because of the weather and also because I would like a place with more diversity. I love meeting people from various parts of the world, of different backgrounds and ethnicities. Then there is the various foods and culture it sort of brings to the mix. Living in Green Bay I feel like I am not getting that and I tired of complaining about it for years, so I finally convinced my husband who was born and raised in WI to move. It is difficult to leave family behind and our newly built home etc, but I am sort of suffocating here.

I looked at Portland and Seattle and they sounded like they could fit the crtiteria for what I was looking for, but then I heard about the depression that sets in during their long, gray winters (which I still think I would take over frezzing cold and snow). That coupled with a tough job market makes me think twice. Especially with the way the economy is right now...I am not sure.

I looked at Spokane, WA as well and it seemed great, but it looked pretty isolated from other big cities. Is that so, or is it just my impression?

Denver, CO sounded good also, but I heard they get quite a bit of snow too. Plus, looking at the houses around there...wow...so expensive...Are there any suburbs that are more feasible..Does it snow a lot? How does it compare to WI?

Thank you again for your input!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times
I'm loving all these posts; all very interesting. Keep them coming. Even though everybody has their own opinion and should, it's fun to read what keeps somebody where they are and what makes one want to move somewhere else!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:18 PM

I know...I was just thinking that I am getting addicted to this website...so much great info!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin