U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 PM

188 posts, read 588,440 times
Thumbs up Which side of the Menominee River is better to live WI or MI

What are the pros n cons of living in Marinette or Oconto County WI or across the river in Menominee County MI.

Everyday goods such as food , petrol ,clothes etc is it cheaper in one state or the other because of TAXES state income TAXES etc.

Is it cheaper setting up a business , cost of the car registration ,cost of buying the car in one state or the other.

Schools for kids is also a big factor.

Would love to hear all the Good , Bad n Ugly to living in both states please.

This should help us to narrow down where we should live.

Thank for input n opinions in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
803 posts, read 2,402,977 times
Default Taxes

I think the only significant difference between these two counties would be taxes, and I can pretty well assure you that they are all lower in Michigan. Not necessarily cheap, but lower than Wisc., which has highest gas tax in country I believe, and 4th or 5th highest property tax rate. And our lovely governor Jim Doyle is doing everything he can to try and raise taxes more.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:24 PM

56 posts, read 294,712 times
I've lived in both states. Taxes in Wisconsin are worse than in Michigan----on the other hand, things like auto and home insurance, as well as tuition at state universities are MUCH less in Wisconsin.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 AM

188 posts, read 588,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairborneRanger View Post
I've lived in both states. Taxes in Wisconsin are worse than in Michigan----on the other hand, things like auto and home insurance, as well as tuition at state universities are MUCH less in Wisconsin.
So would it balance its self out in the long run or not is the question now or is the difference in taxes that much higher that it wont balance out.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:29 PM

23 posts, read 65,578 times
The only real difference is that in MI you can get a conealed pistol permit ,in Wisconsin you can not.Not much need in either city at present but with another 100 million illegal Latin Americans? No .I'm not a racist and yes that is a distinct possibility 10-20 years out. The entire US southwest + much of Mexico will be OUT of water by then and the Great Lakes have about a quarter of the worlds supply of same.The University of Wisconsin is a worlrld class uni-U of Michigan is even slighty better.I woulld slighty favor MI simply because the more rural parts of the UP are one of the few places in North America that not are just like every other place.
If I were you I'd just look at both places and go with my gut feelings, its just such a close call unless you are a hunter, hunting seasons are set up better in MI.

Last edited by Packrat; 07-07-2007 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 10,846 times
Menominee is definitely better than Marinette.. I have lived in both and Menominee is much friendlier to the outsider than Marinette. I lived in Wisconsin for 68 years and am now a very happy Yooper! We have everything needed to live wonderful lives and are only an hour's drive from Green Bay. Marinette does have a wonderful hospital, Menominee has a beautiful downtown areas on Lake Michigan (Northern end of Green Bay) with a marina, band shell, shops and restaurants. Marinette has The Univerity of Wisconsin - Marinettee - a 2 year college - then you go to one of the other UW campuses to finish. They give Menominee residents the same tuition as the Wisconsin students. We both have lovely countryside, great food and good school systems (Altho Marinette is having problems in that area).

Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,433,842 times
Back in the day, Menominee was a hell hole. They must've straightened up and cleaned up the city. Times change, the Menominee school system was suffering for many years. I know Michigan has a high welfare rate as well...they pay more than Wisconsin. So if ya can't find a job, have a few kids, move to Michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin