Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

Find out what the laws are in your state. Call the Sheriff's Department and report it. We had this happen to us in NC. My DH told the neighbor next time it happened he would shoot it. Well next time turned out to be 16 or 17 cows. We corralled them up, took care of them, and put a daily charge for caring of the cows. We ended up in our "Mayberry"(I say that lovingly) court and the neighbor had to pay us for boarding the cows and he had to re fence his property. He was appalled that he was in court over cows. It was quite amusing after the fact.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 AM

155 posts, read 714,601 times
I know that here in MT, the law reads the same. You fence half they fence half.

However, it may be an open range area (you'll have to check with the county on that one). If it is open range, you are required to fence your neighbors out.

I am sure the laws are fairly the same, but if a cow gets on your property, you have 24 hrs to notify them. They then have 24 hrs to remove. If not you can corrall them, and notify them. You have to keep care of them and can charge 2.50/day per head, until they are picked up. Then, I believe after 30 days if not picked up, you can get the Department of Livestock to allow you to sell them for feed cost.

Do not shoot them! this is a felony, and can be considered felony property damage. Keep in mind cattle can run anywhere from $1000-$1500 per head. It's not something that you should go around shooting. Heck its still an animal.

Best of luck, cattle getting out is a common occurrance here. It's what they do, not all fences will keep cattle in. Out here we alway bring in one or two of the neighbors cows every time we move them, and he always gets some of ours. One year we had 30 of them. Things happen sometimes not in your favor.

If he was any kind of guy, he would help ya repay for the damages. Hopefully it doesn't have to go to court, that's never good for either side.

Hope things go well.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:17 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
I would help neighbor check his fence and hopefully using barb wire as a hot wire deer break down so fast it is not funny and cows sense when juice is not on. Yes in Wisconsin you do have to do 1/2 the fence and maintenance on fence also. Cows are considered a domestic animal and shooting one without owners permission is big problems.

Just make offer to help check fence that borders your property and he may take it more serious also that you are willing to help out. Never know may pay off with cheap beef when he slaughters also.

We did the split with a neighbor when he put heifers in a clear cut. Offered to pay half he said as long as helped clear line and help put up that side not need to pay as he was running cattle not us. Helps when get together and do this then know fence is tight also and not just wire attached to trees and not stretched. Was fair in my eyes and when we ran beef in woods we also fixed his part.

Again ask if he would like your help in checking/fixing fence lineand keep the peace.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,530 times
Why dont you take pictures of all the times it happens? Make sure they have dates on them as well. Show the pics to your neighbors and make sure you get the branding spot in the pic! Then ask him what he is going to do about the cows in your yard!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Wow, how much dust was on this thread? 3 years? yikes.

If I'd been around when this thread was started, I would've told the OP to milk 'em and then send them back home empty, that would have taught the owner a lesson!

But, congrats Joyusjoyy!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
My neighbor came over this morning and I pointed out where the cow prints are and what plants they ate. He commented there was no way it was his cows, must be some other cows,lol. )

He just got you off the hook. Just tell him "Then it's OK if I shoot them, right?"

Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,058 times
Hot wire fence set up at 6 joules or higher. Cheaper than installing a whole new fence on 15 acres. Cows aren't stupid. Once they get really zapped, they stay the hell away from the wire fence. Be sure to tie ribbons on the fence every 5 or 8 feet so the cows can see the wire before getting zapped. G'luck.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Hot wire fence set up at 6 joules or higher. Cheaper than installing a whole new fence on 15 acres. Cows aren't stupid. Once they get really zapped, they stay the hell away from the wire fence. Be sure to tie ribbons on the fence every 5 or 8 feet so the cows can see the wire before getting zapped. G'luck.
What's a joule? I thought electric current was measured in volts?

I had squirrels raiding my bird feeder all the time, I hooked one 120 volt wire to the feeder perch which was steel, and placed a metal strip on the 4x4 with the other 120 volt wire attached to that, when the squirrels climbed the 4x4 post in contact with the metal strip and tried to steal from the feeder, they'd get zapped and jump off and run away.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 AM

18 posts, read 56,526 times
This would probably work

Monty Python- Holy Grail Cow-tapult - YouTube

Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 PM

158 posts, read 660,207 times
Hahahahahahahahahaha. This is the most Wisconsin post I've ever seen. Nothing to contribute, but holy hell this is exactly what people from CA think people from WI talk about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin