U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 11,354 times
Question Prairie Du Chien, Wi Living?

Can anyone help me with housing in Prairie Du Chien, Wi? I will be relocating there in a month or so and havent been there before. Do any surrounding communities have more housing available? I am looking to rent a newer 2br apartment in that area.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 11,354 times
Wisconsin side, Iowa Side?? Any help would be great

Old 07-15-2009, 04:00 AM

261 posts, read 474,317 times
Default Not much but something...

PDC is a small town of less than 7,000. You can find generic and a few specific details on the PDC website. There are a handful of apartment complexes in PDC, across the river in Iowa in McGregor there are some rentals as well, only 5-7 minutes away.

PDC is very active during these summer months, and the surrounding towns have many activities for the winter. There are some amenities; most you can get by on if living simple. The town caters mostly to truckers and barge captains who come through ALL year long. Try not to get a place by the railroad tracks, lots of hauling ALL year long. PDC caters to tourists ALL summer long.

You will find lots of bars and churches.

1 Grocery store, Piggly Wiggly, pretty small.
1 Wal-Mart
1 Tractor Supply
1 Ace Hardware
1 Movie Theater 6 screen, old school.
Culvers, McDonalds, Hardees, Pizza Hut, Sub-way, Papa Murphy’s, Dairy Queen, are the only fast food places.
1 Japanese Steakhouse, VERY GOOD since the new owners.
1 China Garden, disgusting
A handful of local mom & pop restaurants, not all good.

There are at least 15 or so towns within 5-20 minutes of PDC, but all are extremely small, many come to PDC to shop, get gas and such. If you can stay in one of the weekly motels before renting it may help with your options and final decision.

Hope this helps, good luck with your move. If you need more details, just ask.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 AM

361 posts, read 608,701 times
What is the name of the Japanese steak house in Prairie Du Chein? We will be in the area in a couple of weeks and might eat there.

Jasper

Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Default You can't miss it, there is nothing else to distract you, lol

If you are headed north on 35 through PDC you will see it on your left hand side. It is next door, by a parking lot or so, of a liquor store (not a good one). If you reach Culvers, you have gone too far. It is a brownish red building with a sign that says "Japanese Steakhouse", the owners have another location in Kentucky. I would recommend the edamame, it is sssoo very good, they put some kind of sauce with it. You can also get a hibachi table with no reservation and order from the sushi and habachi menu. Their rolls are very good, and for having spent about half my life in CA I feel confident in my ratings on sushi. I hope you enjoy, please feel free to let me know after your visit. Also in 2 weeks is the Prarie Dog Blues Festival July 31-Aug. 1.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Default Japanese Steakhouse

The name is WASABI

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM

35,630 posts, read 53,228,923 times
Here's the classifieds for the Prairie du Chien newspaper, complete with apartment rental listings: Classifieds (http://www.prairieduchienarea.com/courier/classifieds.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin