U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Status: "Collector of 80s New Wave Music" (set 22 days ago)

15,079 posts, read 20,208,752 times
The only reasons why Wyoming and North Dakota ran a budget surplus recently was because of the commodities bubble. Oil prices were high, crop prices were high, natural gas prices were high, and coal production was high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:16 PM

6,774 posts, read 11,466,847 times
Look I don't care how we do it or who does it, lets stop raising taxes and start becoming a hot bed for business. Comparing us to any state doesn't matter, what matters is that we get our state spending under control and start having an honest government. I already threw republicans under the bus as well as dems. You don't see me championing any one republicans name to save us. That's not my issue, my issue is I'm sick of taxes going up with our services going down.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,331,669 times
This topic is boring.

The majority of WI citizens desire relatively more services from govt than citizens of many other states. This is fact and is proven by the continued reinstatement of bigger gov't service politicans (i.e Doyle, Kohl, Feingold, Risser and the rest of the primarily Democrat crowd).

The real question to ask is whether there is fair value provided for the "cost." Like jjac said, comparing states on a simple # comparison truly is like comparing apples and oranges. It is not that simple.

While one state may be running a surplus, they may provide little service for which the average Wisconsinite would not be happy.

I myself consider gov't corrupt, innefficient and desire as little as possible in my life however I was a minority in WI. I repeat the real question is are you getting value for the money.

I doubt if Wisconsin people want to reduce the amount of service they receive from Madison, schools and local gov't. Big gov't is in the DNA of the state.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
This topic is boring.

The majority of WI citizens desire relatively more services from govt than citizens of many other states. This is fact and is proven by the continued reinstatement of bigger gov't service politicans (i.e Doyle, Kohl, Feingold, Risser and the rest of the primarily Democrat crowd).

The real question to ask is whether there is fair value provided for the "cost." Like jjac said, comparing states on a simple # comparison truly is like comparing apples and oranges. It is not that simple.

While one state may be running a surplus, they may provide little service for which the average Wisconsinite would not be happy.

I myself consider gov't corrupt, innefficient and desire as little as possible in my life however I was a minority in WI. I repeat the real question is are you getting value for the money.

I doubt if Wisconsin people want to reduce the amount of service they receive from Madison, schools and local gov't. Big gov't is in the DNA of the state.
For once we agree with each other. Not only is big government in Wisconsin's DNA but it is also in the DNA of Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan. Personally, I have no problem with it. It's an Upper Midwest thing, no doubt influenced by the many Scandinavian and German descendants who call the area home. Countries like Norway and Sweden are about as pro-big government as you can get, something like 60-80% of people's income goes directly to the government in those countries.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,331,669 times
jjac,
I agree with your assessment of midwest and your theory as to why.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 PM

4,210 posts, read 10,307,634 times
JJAC, That is a great theory and I can believe that our roots may obviously play a role. I'm neat and orderly in person. My car for example, never a spec of dirt inside or out. My garage I sweep it pretty often. Just little things I do that reflect on how people are. I noticed things change alot as you head south, not as orderly and some places have little to no government services, it's not a bad thing it's just the way people like it. If Wisconsin doesn't like all this control over this and that then we better make sure we find a better guy for the job, sorry but Mr.Doyle isn't doing a swell job?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,342,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
B/c they are only one of two states that have a budget in the positive, Wyoming is the other state that actually makes money. If state budget's aren't "supposed to make money" is the argument I have heard from the left, why not at least break even?
North Dakota and Wyoming have surpluses because of oil revenue. If it weren't for that, they'd be in the hole like most other states.

The decline of Wisconsin's economy has been going on for decades, and both Democrats and Republicans have presided over it.

It would take a truly amazing and well-connected set of politicians to turn things around in this state when most of the economic problems are really national and global in scope.

I agree that Wisconsin's taxes are generally higher than taxes in many other states, but lower taxes and fees alone won't necessarily bring businesses to the state, particularly if loss of tax revenue leads to other problems. And higher taxes and fees won't necessarily maintain the high quality of life we have here, if that means an anti-business climate. There is no magic bullet for this one: the tug-of-war continues, but the mudpit is an international one. Wisconsin's struggle is just one version of a widespread phenomenon.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Look I don't care how we do it or who does it, lets stop raising taxes and start becoming a hot bed for business.
That sounds good, but it's not that simple. If we don't keep revenue at the pace of the cost of services, that negatively affects education, crime, neighborhood development, parks, and other quality of life issues that cannot be on hold for 10-40 years (while a business climate takes root). And there's no guarantee that a business climate would actually take root at all, even with lower taxes. Many states in the union have low taxes but poor economies.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

6,774 posts, read 11,466,847 times
UW regents approve 5.5% tuition increase - JSOnline

Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Yep.... For years, the UW System has received barely over 20% of its funding from public sources, and things are just getting worse as the recession deepens. Even with the tuition increase, the system will have to make severe cuts in all areas, resulting in less staff, fewer courses, larger courses, etc. Amazingly, some other university systems in the U.S. (California, Arizona, Michigan, Georgia, Florida, etc.) are doing far worse.

If things keep going the way they seem to be going, public funding will account for 10-15% of UW's revenue in a decade or two. It will be a public university in governance, mission, and name only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin