Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 04:10 AM

261 posts, read 943,825 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the laws or the practices of WI storage units is regarding the units that are defaulted on? Does anyone have experience with this, does it range city to city, or is there a statewide regulation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
Can't help much with regulation info but I live in Wausau area and every so often see these type auctions advertised/listed in the classified section of local newspaper.
It lists time and date of auction, name of defaulter and brief description of contents.
I've never attended one though.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 PM

138 posts, read 511,912 times
I work for a storage facility in Milwaukee, and we in fact have auctions all the time. We give the tenant every opportunity to pay their defaulted rent, and often times enter into new contracts that allow them to pay a portion of what they owe until they get caught up...to avoid auction. Other who do not call and attempt to pay or make any arrangements will ultimately lose their belongings. I am not sure at what point a persons unit goes to auction...meaning they have to be 2, 3, or 4 months behind or longer...not sure what our company ruling is on that, or if the owner just goes by a case by case basis. When one bids on a locker, it is for the entirety of the contents...you can not just buy some of it...you get all of it.
Everything is very documented however, and must be advertised, by law. This affords the tenant every opportunity to retain their belongings if they can come up with whats owed.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times
2HH..
Since you're in the biz, maybe you can advise us. We had things in storage in WI and the owner switched hands while we were in another state. The new owner didn't return calls or cash payments, so we called a nearby business that said mail was piling up, etc. we heard the gate in was locked. This was pretty big - like 5 rows of double sided units and in town.We weren't ina position to come visit and its been a long time. We tried the police dept and found out there were some issues with the new owner, they gave us his cell number (never an answer). We stopped paying some time ago not wanting to send money when we didn't know what was going on. Is there a way to find out what happened to our things? There's no listing for them or anyone else at that location. (if they'd been bought out for instance ). Would court records tell us anything if we wrote the county?

We're a few states away and I don't know how it would work with what we would now owe since we could never reach anyone and it would cost a bit to go there..and gate might be locked anyway.

Any ideas?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 116,321 times
Regulations on storage unit foreclosures / auctions are state-based (law 704.9). I am not aware of any local laws.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 AM

MidwestMom - Have you resolved your problem?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 AM

449 posts, read 1,698,374 times
Hbomb,
Not yet - still not sure what I could do short of driving there and checking to see. People I've asked have said our stuff is probably gone. Our things were pretty much only of value to us but irreplaceable like our traditional Christmas things, kids school projects.

Last edited by midwestmom; 08-07-2010 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM

MidwestMom

If you want to call my office on Monday I could do some research to track down the owner. I am a storage owner myself and a board member of the WI self storage association board. 262-236-0612

Old 09-24-2010, 06:47 AM

261 posts, read 943,825 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbomb View Post
MidwestMom

If you want to call my office on Monday I could do some research to track down the owner. I am a storage owner myself and a board member of the WI self storage association board. 262-236-0612
Thank you for the info. I have checked out the website you provided. Is there a source which shows a broader range of sales, this site seems as though there are only a few auctions per month. Please advise, thank you. I have also researched auctionzip.com which seems to represent more estate sales than anything. I am looking for a broader listing of specifically storage facility auctions. I am willing to travel WI, IL, MN, & IA

Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 PM

That is the only site I am aware of. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin