Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post

milwaukee has been losing population since the 1970 census, and socially, its statistics ranks it right up there with many third world countries.
"It always amazes me" that some people necessarily correlate population decline with overall decay. Milwaukee could haul in thousands of unemployed and unskilled people, but the population bump wouldn't significantly help things. OTOH, municipalities losing population can have a net gain in high-income earners, etc. Many of the cities and towns in northern Wisconsin have lost population, including Ashwaubenon, Allouez, Marinette, and dozens of others, but not all of these are bad places. OTOH, according to this article, the population of Milwaukee has stabilized and even slightly increased a bit:

Population changes for Wisconsin cities, villages and towns - JSOnline

Here's a 2014 article about the population decline in rural Wisconsin counties. Notice that the bulk of these counties are in northern Wisconsin:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wiscons...252561011.html

Quote:
and just think, the much maligned (here) green bay is economically better than the decaying away milwaukee.
Many of the small cities and towns in northern Wisconsin are in trouble: their economies are steps away from collapse.

Quote:
why don't you move to milwaukee if it's so great? last time i looked, there were over 400 move in ready houses for less than 25 grand. great bargain, you can buy four houses for 100k.
Why move to Milwaukee for that when you can go to Rhinelander, in northern Wisconsin, and buy one of these jewels for under $25,000?

Rhinelander Real Estate - Rhinelander, WI Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

And if you don't like the outdoors activities Rhinelander is famous for, you can choose to get addicted to meth or you can climb the career ladder in the not-so-diverse local economy.

Or you can head to Wausau:

Wausau Real Estate - Rhinelander, WI Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Marinette:

Marinette Real Estate - Rhinelander, WI Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Several places in and around Zoar:

Zoar Real Estate - Zoar, WI Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Several in the Ashland area:

Ashland Real Estate - Rhinelander, WI Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

And many, many more in northern Wisconsin, Milt's Paradise.

Quote:
milwaukee, decay, dying off, but plenty of gay bath houses, parades, and other similar things the progressive left seem to think are the most important things in life....
At least you're not here, so the quality of life already is quite high. Most of the towns in northern Wisconsin only have one or two main industries, so when those collapse, the whole town is rubble.

Well, there's always the meth industry. Isn't that big where you are?

BTW, in spite of the data and comments here, I love northern Wisconsin. And unlike some posters who profess to love Wisconsin yet dismiss nearly half of its people and its main urban centers, I love the entire state. Good and bad. Not just a portion of it. Too bad some people are so elitist and choosy about showing their support.

Last edited by Empidonax; 06-11-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 03:58 PM

432 posts, read 544,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
"It always amazes me" that some people necessarily correlate population decline with overall decay. Milwaukee could haul in thousands of unemployed and unskilled people, but the population bump wouldn't significantly help things.
usually i don't pay any attention to you as you don't seem to get a lot right, but in a way you might have accidentally stumbled upon something here. you're correct, the decline in numbers (or gain) is meaningless in and of itself. so further analysis is needed.

the bad thing about milwaukee and most other democrat ran places is those that if people can, they move someplace else. and this causes more people that can to also leave as the fixed costs are now put on few of the people that pay the bills for the government dependent class. and that causes even more people, etc. it also prevents more of the productive people from moving into a place like, say milwaukee. it's that 'death spiral' that is (intentionally) killing the insurance companies in obamacare, though in a geographic sense.

jobs also leave, so people follow those too. this leaves the tired, old central cities as little more than government and retail/service jobs. government jobs are the overpaid takers and the retail/service are the overworked and underpaid working poor.

and that is your old cbds (central business districts). and other than bar strips/enclaves, they are ghost towns after working hours. even places like michigan ave in chi-iraq is losing people because with the population left in the old and tired cities preying upon visitors/spenders, it has become known as 'muggers mile'.

so the waukesha, ozaukee, and washington counties gain 56K jobs between 94-09 while the city of milwaukee loses 27K jobs.

but all this is uwm stuff so you probably don't know that. you stick to dead trees like leftist newspapers of the city or other creative writing articles done by journalist students and you'll never fully understand what is going on all around you or where others reside....

Old 06-11-2014, 04:24 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
usually i don't pay any attention to you as you don't seem to get a lot right,
You just hate it when other posters with opposing opinions get as zealous as you do, especially when they have more accurate information. Very typical of the extreme right wing.

Quote:
but in a way you might have accidentally stumbled upon something here. you're correct, the decline in numbers (or gain) is meaningless in and of itself. so further analysis is needed.

the bad thing about milwaukee and most other democrat ran places is those that if people can, they move someplace else. and this causes more people that can to also leave as the fixed costs are now put on few of the people that pay the bills for the government dependent class. and that causes even more people, etc. it also prevents more of the productive people from moving into a place like, say milwaukee. [clip]

jobs also leave, so people follow those too. this leaves the tired, old central cities as little more than government and retail/service jobs. government jobs are the overpaid takers and the retail/service are the overworked and underpaid working poor.

and that is your old cbds (central business districts). and other than bar strips/enclaves, they are ghost towns after working hours. even places like michigan ave in chi-iraq is losing people because with the population left in the old and tired cities preying upon visitors/spenders, it has become known as 'muggers mile'.

so the waukesha, ozaukee, and washington counties gain 56K jobs between 94-09 while the city of milwaukee loses 27K jobs.

but all this is uwm stuff so you probably don't know that.
I agree with most of it, but it isn't a complete picture, nor does it in itself justify your hateful attitudes. But suit yourself: Milwaukee doesn't need you or the likes of you.

BTW, I'm surprised you know about UWM. That's really so-fisty-cated of you. I almost suspect you like fine dining and art and other elitist stuff. Maybe Delaware art, too. It was the first state in the Union, but that isn't important to you. Some good hunting there, too, but you shouldn't care about that.

Quote:
you stick to dead trees like leftist newspapers of the city or other creative writing articles done by journalist students and you'll never fully understand what is going on all around you or where others reside....
Unlike you, I travel all over the state and love every bit of it. You stick to your hateful anti-Wisconsin bubble; it's pretty amusing. You thought you escaped so many problems when you left your border state, but little did you know that the problem was you.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
why don't you move to milwaukee if it's so great? last time i looked, there were over 400 move in ready houses for less than 25 grand. great bargain, you can buy four houses for 100k.

milwaukee, decay, dying off, but plenty of gay bath houses, parades, and other sim

Why? Because I left for better cities. Milwaukee is great, but I like Boston more. SF was also great to live in. I would move to MKE if the right job opportunity presented itself... sadly, now I'm stuck with visiting WI twice a year. Coming back this fall and I was there Memorial day, but now with more friends moving from Chicago, Indy, etc to Milwaukee I have more reason to visit there. It's great. The start up cluster really seems to be picking up steam quick. It's funny, when I lived in WI, Boulder and Portland seemed to be where people were going to to leave WI, now more and more people are moving to MKE as one of those hip places.

It's good to hear MKE's gay culture is expanding, that's a good sign for a city. It used to be pretty dead, this is a excellent! High quality cities such as NY, SF, Boston, Chicago, etc have strong gay cultures. They tend to go hand in hand. Not my thing to participate in demographic wise, but it's good to see acceptance and people being out and about.

Thanks, Milt, you make me even more hopeful about Milwaukee. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to retire there. The suburbs are fairly icky, or they were in the 90s... Waukesha was super conservative and full of racist police, I worked with legal advocates working for the latino population there, some truly despicable behavior by that force. Hopefully they've been cleaned up, but it seemed fairly entrenched.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would move to MKE if the right job opportunity presented itself... sadly,
and that's the main reason why milwaukee sucks. i'm boring to listen to as i continually state the same thing, the obvious thing, but it seems like the democrat party has gone off the deep left end of the gene pool.
remember clinton's "IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID"? everything starts with successful businesses, even government spending as tax monies come after business, not before. the left dominated democrat party these days is, well, just a gathering of leftists whose concerns are gays, global cooling/warming/weather, and mexicans.
last presidential election the choice was 'jobs' vs 'taking other people's sh*t'. the latter won and look what it has continued to get us. look at what barret has done for milwaukee.

if you have a good economy, people will want to live there, businesses will want to locate there, it will prosper and all will blossom from that. but that will never happen in milwaukee and if it continues on its 30 year trend, it will be, well, what it is--a stagnant place of poverty with tiny enclaves of affluent/artsy people.

enjoy that. you and your friends go there and do what you like and more power to you.

people not left or of madison/milwaukee get tired of you people coming to where they live and hear you people rag on them about who they are and how they live. really, other people are ok with how they live and don't need the help of people from madison or leftists from milwaukee, or even delaware.

Quote:
full of racist police, I worked with legal advocates working for the latino population there,
what's a latino chamaco? is that some race of people or something?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Most areas of Europe are absolutely NOT "diverse," even the biggest cities. Almost every metro in Europe cannot come close to compared Milwaukee's diversity, if that's what you're into. And I'd agree with others - Sam Adams is garbage and Wisconsin/Michigan is one of the best brewing areas of the country, along with Pac NW/CA and CO. Maybe check out Central Waters or another WI brew instead of Milwaukee's Best? That's like saying you "don't like" ribs because you had a McRib at McDonald's once. And the beer scene in the US is the strongest in the world - it's no longer the case that you have to go to Europe for the best beers, brewers are risk-averse there and over here it's the Wild West with every combination you could think of.
I already acknowledged WI has great beers. Ive had central waters and other brewers stuff. Im well aware of Americas great microbrew scene!

As for diversity I meant scenery and culture, not race. Youre comparing a continent with a state which isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
and that's the main reason why milwaukee sucks. i'm boring to listen to as i continually state the same thing, the obvious thing, but it seems like the democrat party has gone off the deep left end of the gene pool.

And it is why people are moving there, the burgeoning start up community. In my field, there isn't much, and I have a great position in Boston.

Quote:

what's a latino chamaco? is that some race of people or something?

Way to be proud of your ignorance, once again.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And it is why people are moving there
I know, was it you or some other milwaukee type that proudly stated how their 0.13% annual population growth is something to brag about? forget the percentage of growth, but it was less than 1.
that's another problem with some folks, they set the bar sooooo low to gauge their accomplishments, they think it's actually statistically meaningful.

Quote:
Way to be proud of your ignorance, once again.
so are you latin?

Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM

293 posts, read 317,161 times
Oh dear, it seems my post pulled a few strings.

I'll just flat out ignore Milt since he seems to be the forum clown as of lately. As for others, I apologize if my views offend anyone. After all I am just an ignorant 24 year old with no clear perception of reality as opposed to you other emboldened people who truly have experienced every aspect of real life conceivable. (Despite me being fully employed and having lived overseas)

I love Wisconsin, I really do. It's very nice here. People here are as friendly as ever. The economic climate is good. However, life is rather simple and boring. This really isn't a conservative vs liberal thing. Wisconsin, including Madison and Milwaukee, are comprehensively boring compared to others places in the United States and the world. I am not saying to be like "Oh Wisconsin is so inferior to me" because it isn't and I have met many great people here.

Again though, I would like to stick to my original point with that being Wisconsin is just rather flat and boring. There isn't much to do here for nightlife outside of various ways to associate something with binge drinking. (Though I do enjoy a good beer) The people are simple and prefer to keep it that way and you know what? Power to them I say. I never meant to say Wisconsin is an inferior place because the people prefer to keep life simple, but it simply is. If everyone else enjoys that than fine by them. Lashing out someone and accusing them as an arrogant liberal for stating the truth really just legitimizes some of the claims that the state itself has an inferiority complex.

But again, I stand by my guns when I say our state is simple. This can be interpreted for better or for worse. For me, it does raise some issues as when people tend to think simply it can often lead to forgetting how to critically think. (Hence, our political polarization) I see this in many generations older than me and sometimes it rubs off on their kids.

"What's up with you working overseas, shouldn't you be trying to settle down with a family by now?"
"Aren't you scared of traveling, aren't many places outside of the USA very unsafe?"
"I couldn't do all of this international affairs and economics mumbo jumbo, I just prefer to keep things simple. I hate it when everything is complicated."

Just a few examples of quotes I have heard.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:48 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
if you say so, but i often point out to others that are reading what wisconsin is like. or to the people that may have just visited here once or stayed one summer somewhere, or etc. also, a lot of the people in madison/milwaukee don't know much about the rest of the state's people other than some may vacation somewhere or go on bike rides or have a cabin by a lake. and they tend to think they know what the rest of the state is like, but they really don't. but don't try and tell them that.

most of the people in the rest of the state also don't know much about madison or milwaukee (se wi). but from what i can tell, they don't really care about those two areas--thus my comfortable in their own skin/lives. they don't care that you people do there, but for some reason, you people sure do care what the rest of us does. remember some madison person here telling someone here how they need to cut the trees on their property in northern wisconsin? that's what the people outside of madison think of madison--they don't care about madison, don't want to be like them, and would just as soon be left alone.

a good example of how this milw/mad vs. rest of the state works out pertaining to this subject is someone grew up in green bay and wants to eat sushi and have a tattoo parlor full of bellydancers that also give lap dances. so that person moves to milwaukee where he/she can avail him/herself of those. and when they run into other people, they'll be the first to explain how backwards this state is and how this state needs more of xyz, just like state q, etc. most people outside of milw/madison really don't care what they have in another state or city, so they don't have the angst riddles inferiority complex as the madison/milwaukee people seem to.

ymmv.
Oh I see. So if the rest of the state doesn't care about Madison or Milwaukee, that means those people are comfortable in their own skin. And if people from Madison or Milwaukee don't care about the rest of the state that makes them....what exactly? Egotistical? How about, comfortable in their own skin? Lol, sorry you have such low self esteem issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin