U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-21-2010, 11:11 PM
 
Location: MN
1,305 posts, read 1,478,545 times
Reputation: 1589

Advertisements

When I read some of the negative comments here, I had to almost laugh because quite honestly, as one poster already stated, many of these qualities are typical American behavior. Not to mention, as someone who lives in MN currently, I see the same behavior from Minnesotans time and time again, and apparently we're supposed to be the more "diverse" crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_badgerz View Post
Community: Wisconsin is very culturally conservative and insular. This is almost universal throughout the entire state. It’s really a double-edged sword: If you play nice and don’t rock the boat, a typical Wisconsinite will take a bullet for you. If you ask questions and raise alternative viewpoints: a typical Wisconsinite will stubbornly disregard your opinion


Um yeah, I see this at the University of MN quite a bit actually. If you're not a die-hard liberal, then you're immediately branded as a Neo-nazi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_badgerz View Post
Passive-aggressivity, stoicism, stubborness, pride, nosiness, pettiness and loyalty are very prevalent character traits. This is easily explained by the historical social development of the state. Many communities were formed by a few clans who came together from single European small communities and had to depend on each other for survival, which made cohesiveness critical.


Many of the areas in the Twin Cities reflect this same attitude as well, minus the loyalty part. I think these are behaviors you can see everywhere-- it just depends on the kinds of communities you come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_badgerz View Post
People from outside the Upper Midwest who move here can be in for a strong culture shock; I cannot understate how important this is to understand to an outsider who wants to move here – It is not easy for people to truly adjust to life here if they didn’t grow up within the culture.
.
I think moving from one major regional part of the country to another is going to be a huge culture shock no matter what-- I originally moved from the east coast and when I came here as a child I was completely shocked. I have to agree with the white bread part-- but that also exists here in MN.

 
Old 03-22-2010, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,878 posts, read 3,889,677 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I think small town Wisconsin people are quite friendly but are often not so nice with non-white people.
My family is Native American (Chippewa)/White. My maternal grandma and her sister, who are full-blooded Chippewa, both married white men and both had a gaggle of kids. So much of the family is mixed. I have my pasty white relatives (haha) and I have my brown relatives . Generations have lived in Northern Wisconsin for years and we are treated fine. Of course, that is also where the Lac Courte Orielles Indian Reservation is located. I've never noticed any racism myself. My cousins haven't ever spoken of any either. Anyone who lives in Hayward or the surrounding area are used to seeing Native folks. That may not be true for all of small-town Wisconsin.

Of course, Native blood is fascinating. It can be really dominant in physical appearance or not. My second cousins from my grandma's sister - all six of them have the same mixed race parents. Two of them look Native - you'd have no reason to think their dad was caucasean. Two of them look very white - you'd never guess their mother was full-blooded Chippewa. And two of them look like a good combination of both. People ask them if they're Native, because just they're not sure.
(That's how I look.)
 
Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
638 posts, read 1,483,235 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
My family is Native American (Chippewa)/White. My maternal grandma and her sister, who are full-blooded Chippewa, both married white men and both had a gaggle of kids. So much of the family is mixed. I have my pasty white relatives (haha) and I have my brown relatives . Generations have lived in Northern Wisconsin for years and we are treated fine. Of course, that is also where the Lac Courte Orielles Indian Reservation is located. I've never noticed any racism myself. My cousins haven't ever spoken of any either. Anyone who lives in Hayward or the surrounding area are used to seeing Native folks. That may not be true for all of small-town Wisconsin.

Of course, Native blood is fascinating. It can be really dominant in physical appearance or not. My second cousins from my grandma's sister - all six of them have the same mixed race parents. Two of them look Native - you'd have no reason to think their dad was caucasean. Two of them look very white - you'd never guess their mother was full-blooded Chippewa. And two of them look like a good combination of both. People ask them if they're Native, because just they're not sure.
(That's how I look.)


Minnesconsinite,

I have a question that I'm hoping you might be able to answer. I have always been fascinated with the Native American beliefs, music, ceremonies, etc., but never followed through with anything. Do you know if the different tribes throughout the area allow the open public to some of their ceremonies? I would love to attend some sometime and if possible, capture the event through photos.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
 
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,948 times
Reputation: 10
If you dont drink Wisconsin is so boring. Stay far far away if possible.
 
Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
 
180 posts, read 602,603 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tully View Post
I completely agree.

This post should be required reading for anyone pondering a WI relo.

Not that your post needs one word of alteration, but..

I would paraphrase it this way: on Cali coast, NE, mountain west and other places, you will encounter 'outward' persons by the dozens..people who are up-front in ways good and bad.. confrontational, sociable, opinionated, jokey and comedic, short, probing, etc. The whole gamut of openness.

This can be very off-putting and disorienting for an upper-midwestern (esp. WI) transplant. What they interpret as hostility/nosiness/inappropriateness, is simply people being themselves, taking geniune interest in others, being a challenging conversationalist, and so forth. Far from the staid and 'neighborly-level' friendliness so common in WI (but seldom any deeper than that).

I'd say most of Milwaukee's east side is a happy exception. I'm hard-pressed to think of any other place that doesn't fall into that "insular impenetrability" mold you described. Parts of Door County? I suppose some campus areas around the state.
Agreed, but there's other parts of Milwaukee that are an exception as well. That said, I've been in Wisconsin most of my life and the insular attitudes in in most of the state is off-putting even for me. Simply identifying yourself as being from Milwaukee is cause for random suspicion for a lot of people and I seem to experience this whenever I visit family up north (mainly the Green Bay/Fox Valley areas). I've stopped trying to explain this to people because whenever I bring it up I get asked something like "well.... what were you doing to bring this attitude from them?" I think it's a huge joke that rural and small-town Wisconsin gets painted as a friendly place with humble and welcoming people while Milwaukee is seen as a impersonal dump that's full of hopelessness... if anything, my experience has been the opposite.
 
Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,878 posts, read 3,889,677 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
Minnesconsinite,

I have a question that I'm hoping you might be able to answer. I have always been fascinated with the Native American beliefs, music, ceremonies, etc., but never followed through with anything. Do you know if the different tribes throughout the area allow the open public to some of their ceremonies? I would love to attend some sometime and if possible, capture the event through photos.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
I don't know about other tribes, but the Chippewas would absolutely love anyone of any race to come to a pow-wow. You wouldn't be turned away. My cousins used to dance in them when they were little. lol (They didn't sit home and train or anything, they just got out there and danced.) Like I said, we're mixed, and one of my cousins takes after his dad's side, which is white. So to an average person, he looked like a little blonde white boy out there dancing. It was cool.
 
Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
638 posts, read 1,483,235 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
I don't know about other tribes, but the Chippewas would absolutely love anyone of any race to come to a pow-wow. You wouldn't be turned away. My cousins used to dance in them when they were little. lol (They didn't sit home and train or anything, they just got out there and danced.) Like I said, we're mixed, and one of my cousins takes after his dad's side, which is white. So to an average person, he looked like a little blonde white boy out there dancing. It was cool.

That is great to know...thank you. Do you know if there is a website with a list of dates with upcoming Pow-Wow's and the locations? Do you also know how they feel about photographs being taken during these ceremonies?

Thanks again
 
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,878 posts, read 3,889,677 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
That is great to know...thank you. Do you know if there is a website with a list of dates with upcoming Pow-Wow's and the locations? Do you also know how they feel about photographs being taken during these ceremonies?

Thanks again

Sorry, I don't know I haven't been to one in years.
 
Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 AM
 
Location: MN
1,305 posts, read 1,478,545 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgeorge View Post
If you dont drink Wisconsin is so boring. Stay far far away if possible.
Yeah and if you don't drink in MN it's boring too...along with smoking weed and listening to B96.
 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 AM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,878 posts, read 3,889,677 times
Reputation: 1901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Yeah and if you don't drink in MN it's boring too...along with smoking weed and listening to B96.
Isn't that kind of the case anywhere? What is nightlife really without drinking anymore? Same situation in Montana. Not much to do. When someone says they're "Going out" it pretty much always means drinking is involved.

I'm not a big drinker. I'll have a couple drinks while bowling or whatever, but mostly just to relax and yes, to appease the people around me. I don't mind getting buzzed but I rarely get drunk. Last time was New Years Eve 2007. And I hated how I felt the next day. It was a real lovely way to kick off 2008, I tell ya. And I had to work that night. Too many drunks in my family anyway. I've been around it enough years to know it doesn't lead to anywhere good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top