U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM

261 posts, read 507,444 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen a wolf in Southern Wisconsin? We hard a lot of racket from the cyotes last Wednesday night, then Thursday a hunter shot a wolf in Seneca. Has anyone else had experiences with wolves on their land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM

562 posts, read 1,026,099 times
Good question. Haven't heard much about them from central Wisconsin.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 10,760,117 times
Qwerty judging from your post's your in the SW part of the state right? We have a few around here (Portage, Wisconsin Dells, Baraboo) that have been spotted a couple times a year. We're dealing with more and more black bears then wolves though. They are around though.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:29 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
Has anyone seen a wolf in Southern Wisconsin? We hard a lot of racket from the cyotes last Wednesday night, then Thursday a hunter shot a wolf in Seneca. Has anyone else had experiences with wolves on their land?

That "hunter" better have been defending his life (a first, as wolves pose zero danger to humans) or livestock, or he is a criminal.

Anyway,

The main gateway for lone wolves (e.g. young males expelled from their packs by the Alpha male) is the Wisconsin River Valley. Crossing I-94 near Jefferson is the main Eastern route for male wolves colonizing either SE Wisc, or else Il and Indiana (yes, there have been strays found as far SE as Central Indiana).

As far as I know, the Southern-most pack in Wisc inhabits the Jackson Co. area.

Any updated info would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM

4,409 posts, read 10,150,483 times
I am glad someone mentionted that Geechie. I dont understand why he had to shoot it.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 PM

263 posts, read 468,075 times
Our friends raise cattle in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and I have seen the damage to the cows from wolf attacks.
Farmers have a right to protect their property.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 PM

4,231 posts, read 10,760,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadlady View Post
Our friends raise cattle in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and I have seen the damage to the cows from wolf attacks.

The problem is if the wolf didn't constitute a hazard he as in the farmer didn't have the right to shoot it. Just because a wolf was crossing your pasture doesn't mean you can shoot it.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 AM

263 posts, read 468,075 times
Even if the wolf kills/mains a cow every time he crosses the pasture? I wish I had the pictures to post, the ones our friends took to the DNR and the meetings up there where the ranchers tried to get help to control the wolves. They were pretty graphic, cows that do get away from the wolves are all torn up and have to be put down. A brood cow is worth $1,000-$2,000 at least, and add to that the value of the offspring that she will never have, and the calves that are lost each year. How many cows can you lose a year and still be in business?
We live downstate, and don't have wolves, yet. But, the coyotes here are a constant threat to our chickens, and have killed 3 of our dogs. The white-tail deer destroy our vegetables and field crops. If we could not control the varmints, we would not have food to sell.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 PM

4,409 posts, read 10,150,483 times
Wolves,deer and coyotes are just being what they are. They were there long before the cows moved in.
A real shame if shooting is the only way.
Such beautiful creatures.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadlady View Post
The state compensates farmers for lost livestock.

Protecting property is one thing, using that as an excuse to kill a protected animal is quite another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin