U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,279,033 times
As a gay guy myself, I would vote to approve civil marriage for same-sex couples. However, I don't think such a measure should decide terms for marriage within religious institutions, so there should be a distinction between civil (state-endorsed) marriage (or call it what you want) and church-based marriage. No church or religious institution should be forced to perform or endorse a marriage contrary to its beliefs, just as no church or religious institution should be permitted to dictate the terms of the life of a person who exists outside of that institution's domain.

On a side note, I'm always amused when conservatives clamor for the "preservation of traditional marriage." Current heterosexual marriage practices in Western culture, generally based on mutual affection and individual choice, are really a product of secular humanism, including women's lib. In the Western world, until the Renaissance era, "traditional" marriages were arranged marriages based on economic and familial concerns.

I wonder how many proponents of "traditional" marriage would consent to being pawned off in an arranged relationship of their parents' or community's choosing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,634,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
As a gay guy myself, I would vote to approve civil marriage for same-sex couples. However, I don't think such a measure should decide terms for marriage within religious institutions, so there should be a distinction between civil (state-endorsed) marriage (or call it what you want) and church-based marriage. No church or religious institution should be forced to perform or endorse a marriage contrary to its beliefs, just as no church or religious institution should be permitted to dictate the terms of the life of a person who exists outside of that institution's domain.

On a side note, I'm always amused when conservatives clamor for the "preservation of traditional marriage." Current heterosexual marriage practices in Western culture, generally based on mutual affection and individual choice, are really a product of secular humanism, including women's lib. In the Western world, until the Renaissance era, "traditional" marriages were arranged marriages based on economic and familial concerns.

I wonder how many proponents of "traditional" marriage would consent to being pawned off in an arranged relationship of their parents' or community's choosing?
I agree that churches shouldn't be forced to perform marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples if they don't approve of such unions, but I've never heard anyone on our side demand anything contrary to that. Whether or not a marriage is sanctioned by a church is irrelevant, because all marriages require a marriage license be filed with the county. No marriage, hetero or otherwise, is deemed legal or "official" until the paperwork is processed by the government and you receive a marriage license. It should be no different for gays and lesbians.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 AM

261 posts, read 474,528 times
Default One in every crowd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
NO!

whats next you want to marry a dog who can consent
NO! and what a waste of your own opportunity to share a legitimate opinion. You may not agree, but why be so ignorant about it?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 AM

5,846 posts, read 4,225,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Right, because everyone knows the "movement" to legalize gay marriage is really just a front for people in favor of loosening bestiality laws.

SMH X 1000

thats not what i meant just using as an example

Old 08-12-2009, 08:41 AM

5,846 posts, read 4,225,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
NO! and what a waste of your own opportunity to share a legitimate opinion. You may not agree, but why be so ignorant about it?
oh please, move around, like i said, NO

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,634,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
oh please, move around, like i said, NO
Well, it doesn't matter what you think since the state started granting civil unions last Monday.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:17 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,279,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Well, it doesn't matter what you think since the state started granting civil unions last Monday.
I can't wait to pair up with my parakeet. I'm hoping to teach it to say "I do," and I'm hoping 414 will be front and center at the ceremony.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 369 times
No I am not in favor of same sex marriage, I am not in favor same sex relationships other than just friends or family. There should not be any penalty for not being married as far as taxes are concerned, that would be where I would work to change the law. Change man made laws, not God's laws. God said it was an abomination for couples of the same sex to copulate and that's the final word for me. Sorry for those I have offended, but I refuse to offend the Lord.

TEXAS JOE

Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM

26 posts, read 22,343 times
Hello

I have never understood this issue. The 14th Amendment to the Constitution provides for ALL citizens of the United States to have equal protection under the laws of this country and that no state nor the federal government shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge (restrict) their privileges nor deny them their liberties.

Regardless of how you or I feel about this issue on religious, moral or ethical grounds, these persons ARE citizens of this country and ARE protected by the laws of this land and the bedrock on which all other State constitutions are or should be based is the US Constitution.

For those of you who believe that the Constitution is some old document written a long time ago by some guys in silly clothes, you really need to go back to school. The US Constitution is at the heart of our political and governmental system period.

For those of you who think that this country is based on the Bible, please show me any law passed by Congress or any decision by the Supreme Court in the last two hundred years that cites a portion of the Bible or the Bible itself as justification. (Also see 1st Amendment) If I don't convince you, then this might God's law is love and Jesus himself said "Love thy neighbor as thyself". HIS definition of neighbor included everyone. This commandment along with others and comments made by Jesus DO NOT discriminate in who HE loves.

Churches can refuse to marry whom ever they choose, but under this country's laws, everyone has the right to marry through the civil process. (Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness)

I am old enough to remember that the arguments put forth against gays are the same arguments used against blacks 40 years ago. Only the most hardcore of us would say that blacks are not citizens and do not have the right to the same laws and liberties in this country as everyone else.

It did not work in the 60's and 70's and its just a stupid now.

Thanks

Wolfman 24

Old 07-26-2012, 12:51 PM

861 posts, read 1,984,960 times
I know this is an old post and has just been resurrected, but I wanted to chime in. I have a really hard time respecting people who pick and choose which parts of the Bible (the bible being open interpretation to begin with) to stand (hide) behind.
I believe in equal rights for all. It's the way my God would want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: