Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM

84 posts, read 225,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ Uhm, yeah... I'm calling BS the story above. Students with a sub-2 GPA aren't even eligible to transfer to UWM. Same probably goes for any other serious university. "Hey look -- these guys are flunking out of a second-tier state school. I bet they'd make fine additions to our student body!"
ha well I can direct you to an insurance agent who was just that...I would like to see the "rule book" where they say sup 2 gpa's arent eligible for transfer after their freshman year...I know a TON of students who do that...now if it was a junior or senior then yeah understandable...but a kid going into his sophomore year its not much of a suprise...I know a ton of people who I could get to attest to this...but you keep calling BS...I guess that makes it true then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,281,640 times
This is an excerpt from UWM's policy on transfer credits:

<<Admissions Requirements
If you have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA on 12 or more attempted credits, you may be offered admission to the University with a pre-major classification. If you have not attempted 12 or more credits, UWM reviews your high school record to determine if you would have been admissible as a freshman. Admission to the University, however, does not necessarily guarantee admission to your major or program. To gain admission to your major, you will need to meet specific GPA and credit requirements.>>

Here's a link to UWM's admissions page, with sidebar links for transfer info:

UW-Milwaukee: Admission Requirements (http://www4.uwm.edu/future_students/transfer/transfer_requirements.cfm - broken link)

Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB1452 View Post
ha well I can direct you to an insurance agent who was just that...I would like to see the "rule book" where they say sup 2 gpa's arent eligible for transfer after their freshman year...I know a TON of students who do that...now if it was a junior or senior then yeah understandable...but a kid going into his sophomore year its not much of a suprise...I know a ton of people who I could get to attest to this...but you keep calling BS...I guess that makes it true then
No, my calling it BS isn't what makes it true. It's the university itself saying so that makes it true.

"If you have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA on 12 or more attempted credits, you may be offered admission to the University with a pre-major classification."
UW-Milwaukee: Admission Requirements (http://www4.uwm.edu/future_students/transfer/transfer_requirements.cfm - broken link)

Furthermore, if you intend to transfer with a declared major, you need at least a 2.5: "With a few exceptions, admission to the major is accomplished during your junior year. Although the minimum GPA set by the individual schools/colleges is 2.5, some schools/colleges will require a higher GPA to advance in the program."

Old 12-01-2009, 02:22 PM

767 posts, read 2,057,561 times
Madison is definitely at the top of the list reputation-wise and is followed by UW-Milwaukee. They are both classified as Research I institutions with national reputations. After that, it probably depends more on the major. But, of the campuses that I am somewhat familiar with, UWO, Parkside, Green Bay, and Point are all considered regional comprehensives that, IMO, are likely to be roughly on the same level reputation-wise by most employers looking at resumes. I suppose that you could also add "Tundra Tech" (i.e., UW Superior) and LaCrosse to the list as well. This assumes, of course, that the employer isn't looking for some specialized skill sets that can only be acquired at some of the schools. My field is business and I would definitely rank Madison and Milwaukee and numbers 1 and 2. After that, it would be a toss-up.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 PM

84 posts, read 225,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, my calling it BS isn't what makes it true. It's the university itself saying so that makes it true.

"If you have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA on 12 or more attempted credits, you may be offered admission to the University with a pre-major classification."

Furthermore, if you intend to transfer with a declared major, you need at least a 2.5: "With a few exceptions, admission to the major is accomplished during your junior year. Although the minimum GPA set by the individual schools/colleges is 2.5, some schools/colleges will require a higher GPA to advance in the program."
I guess I see no where it says you can't get in with a sub 2 GPA...it just says you may be offered admission to the University with a pre-major classification...as a student who didn't declare a major and was a 3 - 3.5 student in high school this may have affected how he got in but I'll tell him to come on here and post his story if need be...I wouldn't just make up a story about UW-Milwaukee when I personally have no feelings on it apart from what I hear...and as someone who will never attend UW-Milwaukee my or anyone elses opinion isn't that big of a deal I guess...just stating fact that I know from people and what I hear from others...I still haven't heard anyone tell me how Milwaukee stands up with Marquette and Madison...what is Milwaukee even known for program wise?

Old 12-02-2009, 12:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times

Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM

The UWM policy is crystal clear: you must have at least a 2.0 in order to enter UWM as a transfer student.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB1452 View Post
what is Milwaukee even known for program wise?
the most visible and respected programs include:

Architecture
Urban Planning
Nursing
Business
English
Arts
Music
Education
Global Studies
Freshwater Sciences

there are several others, as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,332 times
u-w superior is not known for enviromental sciences. it was founded as education college as is known for its education programs and its business degree

Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 12,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Madison
Marquette
MSOE

UWM

Then everyone else.

Milwaukee City, you need to leave the city some time lol, MSOE above la crosse or whitewater or eau claire in overall rep? Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin