U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM

4,077 posts, read 2,550,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Notice he singled out undergrads, the implication being that undergrads who pride themselves on attending a prestigious university are being a little presumptuous because the vast bulk of that prestige derives from work being done at the graduate level.

That said, not many flagship state schools are as selective about which undergrads they will accept even as in-state students as UW-Madison is. Compare, for instance, the UW-Madison student body to Ohio State's student body. I know which one I'd rather pick the bulk of our nation's future leaders from. While there may be others, the only other state flagship universities I can think of that are similarly selective about even its in-state student body are Illinois, Iowa and California. [ETA: and probably Virginia.]

And the University of Michigan.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM

16 posts, read 57,083 times
The twin cities to me feels like a giant suburb instead of an urban city. I prefer more urban and dense type of cities. Cities with grit like Chicago, New York, Philly, Boston, Bmore, DC, Milwaukee. If I want all white farmers from upstate Minnesota farting on a dance floor in Minneapolis to vanilla ice I will go to a club in the twin cities.

There is a reason everyone calls it whiteapolis. Have fun up there in der twin cities aka east fargo. in the twin cities you have to take a plane ride just to get to the next city, sorry but it is way to iso up there for me and no water anywhere and I don't mean little tike lakes, I need a lake like Michigan or the ocean not the muddy Mississippi.

I spent a lot of time up there and found the city to be very boring and uptown is the most overrated neighborhood in the midwest.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Minneapolis and St. Paul actually have skylines unlike Milwaukee. The two skycrapers in Milwaukee don't exactly scream big city. Boooooring.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM

*skyscrapers

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnielove View Post
The twin cities to me feels like a giant suburb instead of an urban city. I prefer more urban and dense type of cities. Cities with grit like Chicago, New York, Philly, Boston, Bmore, DC, Milwaukee. If I want all white farmers from upstate Minnesota farting on a dance floor in Minneapolis to vanilla ice I will go to a club in the twin cities.

There is a reason everyone calls it whiteapolis. Have fun up there in der twin cities aka east fargo. in the twin cities you have to take a plane ride just to get to the next city, sorry but it is way to iso up there for me and no water anywhere and I don't mean little tike lakes, I need a lake like Michigan or the ocean not the muddy Mississippi.

I spent a lot of time up there and found the city to be very boring and uptown is the most overrated neighborhood in the midwest.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Minneapolis and St. Paul actually have skylines unlike Milwaukee. The two skycrapers in Milwaukee don't exactly scream big city. Boooooring.

At least Milwaukee has great bratwurst and beer.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Of the largest US cities, the only ones that have fewer buildings taller than 100 meters are:

Jacksonville, FL-6
Fort Worth,TX-6
San Jose,CA-0
El Paso, TX-0

Milwaukee is tied with the picturesque skylines of San Antonio, TX and Memphis, TN with 8. Stunning.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM

4,982 posts, read 3,978,931 times
Funny thread...interesting to find out the academic pecking order of the state of Wisconsin...

Let's be a little honest about Marquette: a decent school, but largely made famous because of Al McGuire and the basketball Warriors ( and their funky late '60s uniforms)..

I strongly suspect that UW-Milwaukee has the same cachet as a school like UMass-Boston(again, not the flagship, which is in Amherst); it's usually regarded as the cheaper, urban alternative, with a lot of commuters; I do like the UWMil neighborhood--lots of old Victorians, etc..

"When in doubt, take the easy way out, go to Stout"---LOL

Does anyone in WI ever consider going out-of-state for college??

Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM

Does anyone in WI ever consider going out-of-state for college??

Sure, if you will pay the out-of-state tuition.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 4,944 times
UW-Eau Claire has one of the best educational programs I have seen. Before graduation, you will have been teaching in an actual classroom (not the college but elementary, middle, or high school) roughly 4 times. From what I hear, UW-River Falls only teaches students during student teaching. By the time student teaching starts, UW-Eau Claire has taught at least 2-3 different classrooms outside of the University. They also have one of the top history programs, which is continuing to grow. Public History is the new emphasis in this depertment, being the only school in Wisconsin to offer this. Partying is a big emphasis here, but any college in Wisconsin you go to will party.

UW-Madison is the most prestigous mainly because they are the largest school in Wisconsin with very good athletics.

UW-Stout is in a great, small city. Like said earlier, it is basically a technical college that you can attend for four-years and get a BA out of it.

UW-Stevens Point is great for forestry type of work. Other than that, I wouldn't waste my money.

UW-Platteville is great for girls, because the school is about 500 guys-1 girl. It is also a bad place for girls to go, for that same reason.

UW-La Crosse is a good school, with an excellent music program. I have heard the city is kind of dirty, but that is because it is so old that many of the buildings have not been renovated yet.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM

765 posts, read 1,243,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I would put Marquette above UW-Madison in terms of national recognition and prestige and not b/c I'm a big MU fan.
That is the most funny incorrect statement ever. Marquette has no national reputation to speak of (and I have lived in every part of the US--UW is MUCH more well known) and is virtually unknown outside the midwest. Basically a school for rejects from the good Catholic schools like ND and BC.

I do college fairs for UW in Seattle and we are usually near the Marquette table. We get ten times the interest from area students. The poor MU guy looks like the Maytag repairman.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:56 AM

765 posts, read 1,243,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1104 View Post
UW-Eau Claire has one of the best educational programs I have seen. Before graduation, you will have been teaching in an actual classroom (not the college but elementary, middle, or high school) roughly 4 times. From what I hear, UW-River Falls only teaches students during student teaching. By the time student teaching starts, UW-Eau Claire has taught at least 2-3 different classrooms outside of the University. They also have one of the top history programs, which is continuing to grow. Public History is the new emphasis in this depertment, being the only school in Wisconsin to offer this. Partying is a big emphasis here, but any college in Wisconsin you go to will party.

UW-Madison is the most prestigous mainly because they are the largest school in Wisconsin with very good athletics.

UW-Stout is in a great, small city. Like said earlier, it is basically a technical college that you can attend for four-years and get a BA out of it.

UW-Stevens Point is great for forestry type of work. Other than that, I wouldn't waste my money.

UW-Platteville is great for girls, because the school is about 500 guys-1 girl. It is also a bad place for girls to go, for that same reason.

UW-La Crosse is a good school, with an excellent music program. I have heard the city is kind of dirty, but that is because it is so old that many of the buildings have not been renovated yet.
UW Madison has the most prestige (and it has lots of it) because it has been among the top major universities in the US since around 1900 when it helped found the first group of for top universities in the US--The Association of American Universities. It has more members of the top learned societies such as the National Academy of Science and the American Academy of Arts and Science than all but a handful of schools--more than some Ivy League schools. The faculty wins far more than its fair share of Guggenheim and other competitive grants. It also wins among the top 3 in research grants in the US now at over $1 Billion. It produces among the most Fortune 500 CEOs and Teach for America Corps members.
It is also in the Top 10 for number of undergrads going on to get a PhD and also produces large numbers of future doctors and lawyers.

So it is far more than just another good state U. U Kansas is a good state U. But it's no UW Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin