Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 38,258 times

Advertisements

I went to Honey Bear Farm, near the WI/IL border, when I was little. I have heard one report saying it was located in Genoa City, and another claiming that it was in Powers Lake, WI. Can anyone give me any info regarding this? Thanks in advance, Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM

17 posts, read 132,658 times
Default honey bear no more

I live close to Genoa and visited Honey Bear Farm many times. It closed down approx. 25 years ago. Really don't know why, as it always was popular place to go. We had heard that some large organization had bought it and was going to improve---but never happened.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:25 AM

1 posts, read 38,259 times
What ever happened to Honey Bear Farm? I recall visiting there when I was about 10 years old with my grandmother. It had a restauranat and a gift shop. I could never find where it was when I returned there in the 1970s. It has fond memories for me. I would love to know more about the place as my memories of it are a bit clouded. It seems to me there where also apple groves there? sewuniquedesigns@aol.com

Old 08-14-2006, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 38,253 times
Default Honey Bear Farm

Honey Bear Farm was located on the Northwest shore of Powers Lake, Wisconsin (Just South of Burlington, WI and Southeast of Lake Geneva, WI. (the very west end of Kenosha County. Since the 40's or 50's.

Out family had a home on the lake just down the road. It was bought out by Carson Pierre Scott (The Chicago Retail Store) in the 70's.

There were a number of shops and a restaurant on the property. I think it closed in the early 80's and the property was sold off in pieces. Some of the lakefront was built on as residential.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 45,066 times
Default Honey Bear Farm Address

The confusion over the Honey Bear Farm location is due to a difference in mailing address and site location -- the farm was located near the edge of Powers Lake in Wisconsin but the mailing address for the farm was Genoa City, a town located nearby. I remember the site as it was in the 1950s and 60s with a wonderful restaurant surrounded by quaint gift shops and lots of land --Honey Bear, a fictional bear cub -- was the central character of the place and who even had his own story printed up in a book. The site does have a history of several different owners dating back to the late 1800s.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 38,169 times
Default Honey Bear Farm, Powers Lake, WI

My extended family used to vacation at Bill's (later Ben's) Breezy Oaks Resort on the northeastern side of Powers Lake, WI.

Honey Bear Farm was just a few miles west on County Highway P, on the north side of the lake. Back in the '50s, it was just a restaurant that had a great marketing hook (I remember a giant fireplace with an equally giant bear in the lobby), and it quickly became a "destination" to the multitudes of summer tourist families that had kids to entertain - which, because the Boomers were busting, was nearly everyone. Extremely popular for Sunday brunch.

I remember it as a fairly large complex - probably the biggest Wisconsin tourist trap south of Lake Geneva - with a big gift store, as someone else mentioned. I think it was in the '60s, however, when Carson Pirie Scott (a Chicago department store) bought the place. As I lived in Chicago (quite close to a Carson's in fact), I remembered one of the Honey Bear Farm's eateries was entitled the "Tartan Tray" which was Carson's name for the cafeteria-style restaurants in all their stores. The cafeteria tray always had a red and black tartan plaid design.

Powers Lake was one of those idyllic '50s locales and my siblings, cousins, and I have simply wonderful memories of warm summer days, clear blue water, swimming, fishing, eating as a giant group each night, and Telstar to watch for at night. At my latest visit about 8 years ago, the lake was so crowded with boats, houses, and "civilization" that it was sad.

I am interested if anyone else has any historical information on Powers Lake in the '50s and '60s. One of my cousins is turning 65 this year and I would love to put something together for her to remember all our great family memories.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 37,594 times
Default honey bear farm/ bill's bens breezy oaks

I also have great memories, of ben's breezy oaks and honey bear farm. Our familys would go there and go to the little white church, where donuts were sold, . We always went to Honey Bear Farm, and I actually had my last doll purchased there, Her name is kitten, and I still have her, stored. I am from Chicago, and your blog really hit home, as I was just remembering summers in Powers lake.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 37,378 times
Dee Wells, mom of some of my good friends on Powers Lake wrote an awesome (self-published) book on Powers Lake. She is a magnificent writer and includes tons of authentic history and letters... all the way down to Indians there and early settlers' troubles. Pick up a copy in the "Solid Brass" antique shop in Richmond ( Pat Miller Proprietor). I am glad I did (got for my mom but my wife and I are fighting over it)!!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,609,976 times
I remember going to the Honey Bear Farm years ago! It was great and I remember the huge pile of pancakes! Haven't thought about it in years and didn't realize it closed.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
BTB

1 posts, read 36,805 times
Default Honey Bear Farm, Powers Lake, WI

When I was 16 and 17 I worked at the restaurant during summer vacations. I remember the farm well. Yesterday I drove by where it used to be, wondering what I would find. The buildings are all gone, but where the country store stood across the road there is a golf company. I believe that the Burke family from Chicago has purchased the original land and that the Kraft house is still on the property, being lived in. They have renamed the area 'Honey Bear Bay' and it is a private land development area. Some of the sidewalks and steps are still there, where the walks around the property were. I remember with fond memories the families that used to come and visit the farm and grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin