Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,585 times

Advertisements

Good morning all,

I am considering applying for work at UW Oshkosh. I wanted to ask those in the area how diverse the area is, in terms of people from different ethnicities. We have two small children and want them to be around a variety of people from different cultural backgrounds. Is this the case in the Oshkosh/Appleton areas?

Mongo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 121,830 times
Hi,

i dont think that the fox vally areas are diverse !!
if you are looking for diversity go to big cities Milwaukee, madison or even GB !!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 PM

653 posts, read 3,398,394 times
Having lived in the Fox Valley for many years, I can tell you that "Diversity" is not one if it's biggest assets. Oshkosh (with University of Wisconsin) there, would be somewhat more divirsified than would be Appleton. I know that I'll get accused of "Appleton Bashing" here again, but the fact remains- Appleton is a VERY conservative community. It is however a safe, clean city with good public schools and affordable housing.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:20 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,841,659 times
i wouldnt call much of this area particularily diverse, but i do have 2 black families and 2 hispanic families on the same block as me (in appleton)

Old 05-19-2007, 06:49 AM

12 posts, read 14,260 times
Theres is no diverse places in wisconsin except milwaukee and maybe madison other than that the rest of the state is just white.They don't embrace diversity very well either. I can tell you that from my own experience.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,850,530 times
Sadly, the above posts are very accurate. The Fox Valley region is not diverse and, it would appear, that the residents want to keep it that way. Pretty sad.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 AM

7 posts, read 26,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade View Post
Good morning all,

I am considering applying for work at UW Oshkosh. I wanted to ask those in the area how diverse the area is, in terms of people from different ethnicities. We have two small children and want them to be around a variety of people from different cultural backgrounds. Is this the case in the Oshkosh/Appleton areas?

Mongo

Oshkosh is a college town, so you're going to find a wide variety of people in both Oshkosh and Appleton, I suppose it depends on what area of the city that you live in, I don't live in Oshkosh myself but my son does and he has four kids. It's a decent town to live in.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 AM

90 posts, read 326,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyhusky View Post
Oshkosh is a college town, so you're going to find a wide variety of people in both Oshkosh and Appleton, I suppose it depends on what area of the city that you live in, I don't live in Oshkosh myself but my son does and he has four kids. It's a decent town to live in.
Oshkosh is NOT a college town. Yes, there is a college. However, you don't get that college town vibe. The ratio of students to general population is one factor, another factor is the locals don't care much for the college. There used to be problems decades ago and they haven't forgotten. Plus, many of them don't like the idea that some people are trying to better their lives.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,567 times
I am also considering Oshkosh for work. I would like to know which areas, either in Oshkosh or nearby, would be ideal for raising two kids. My son is 6 and loves sports, especially football. Are there any pee wee football leagues? Also, my husband likes to golf. Are there any decent golf clubs nearby? We want to live in a neighborhood w/ lots of families, where it is safe for our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin