U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 07:34 AM

31 posts, read 137,016 times

Advertisements

We are interested in a quiet community on the east shore of Winnebago. Sherwood, Stockbridge, Calumetville, Brothertown. Anyone familiar with these areas, specifically in Calumet County? Cost of living, what is sacrificed to live in a less commercialized venue? Etc. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:13 PM

653 posts, read 3,085,501 times
Sherwood is growing, mainly from the exodus of people from Appleton fed up with the high taxes and poor city government. Sherwood is a nice area but home/land prices are rising rather sharply.Stockbridge is a small, quiet community--a little too far from Appleton to experience the growth that Sherwood is. Chilton, in Calumet County, but not on the lake, is a nice community. Anywhere on the East Shore of Lake winnebago is nice--it's just a question of home/land prices. Lakefront property anywhere in Wisconsin, is no longer cheap!! The nice thing about Sherwood is that it still has a 'rural' atmosphere about it--yet is very close to the valley for shopping, resturaunts, jobs, etc. For the most part, Calumet county is still "rural" Wisconsin. I would think that purchase of most any property in that county would be a good investment!!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:56 AM

Thanks Gregg, we are planning an exploratory trip in early October. We are looking for an alternate to Door County if things do not go as we hope. being a avid boater proximity to the lake is desirable but best if froma rural residence. What we seek is an area where the words economical development were not spoken. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:04 PM

653 posts, read 3,085,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyminute View Post
Thanks Gregg, we are planning an exploratory trip in early October. We are looking for an alternate to Door County if things do not go as we hope. being a avid boater proximity to the lake is desirable but best if froma rural residence. What we seek is an area where the words economical development were not spoken. Thanks!
You might also want to check out Waupaca County. There are lakes around the city of Wauapaca, it is a very nice area. Prices for property there however, might be similar to what you'd find in Door County. Iola and Scandanavia are two other nice communities in Waupaca County. All these places within an hours drive to the Fox Valley!! Good Luck to u!!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
If you don't need to be right on the lake, I can't say enough good things about Chilton. Very clean city, charming downtown area, some nice neighborhoods with decent houses, and a brewpub that is renowned all over the upper Midwest. And above all, it's not a development boomtown.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you don't need to be right on the lake, I can't say enough good things about Chilton. Very clean city, charming downtown area, some nice neighborhoods with decent houses, and a brewpub that is renowned all over the upper Midwest. And above all, it's not a development boomtown.

That is exactly what we are seeking. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,950,872 times
so if you dont need to be right on the lake, i agree that chilton might be a good choice. its the bigger of the towns on that side of the lake so you'll have enough groceries and gas near you, etc.

stockbridge seems like an ok town when i drive through it on hwy 55. there's a small coffee shop there if you like that sort of thing. that's pretty much all that is there, though, but it is right on the lake for your boat.

likewise with hilbert; but hilbert is a little bigger. some nice old architecture on the main drag (hwy 114?)

another town that alot of people really like is plymouth. its a few miles east of lake winnebego (take 23 east from fond du lac maybe 20 miles), but its got a nice old time downtown area. to the east of the town is some sprawl with the walmarts and hardware superstores, etc, so at least its all there. i think its more expensive to live in plymouth than the other small towns.

just north of fond du lac is the small community of st peter. i'm not sure if ther is any shopping at all in st peter, maybe a tiny grocery store and a gas station. i had some friends in st peter when i was a kid (grew up in fond du lac) and they went to school and pretty sure grocery shopped in FDL. its quiet and quaint though; kinda up a windy road and all to itsself (hwy 149 e from fond du lac)

last idea is pipe, which is right by calumetville. also right on the water. its got a gas station there is a great (or it was great, havent been there in awhile) restaraunt in this area called the cedar lodge, right on the highway.

ps if you are here in october and like apples you should stop at the little farmer apple orchard on hwy 151 a few miles north of fond du lac. i think they have a website.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the info yo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or