Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,677 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I am a 25(well, soon to be) single female from North Dakota looking to move to Green Bay. I'm not worried about the winters, as we have our fair share of below zero and snow records set here. I am a huge Packers fan and think I would love the football atomosphere.

I have been reading a few other threads and it looks as tho some people believe that GB is not a great town for young singles. I have grown out of my party days, but still enjoy being able to hit the town and have a couple drinks now and then. Is it hard to 'fit in' if you're not born and raised in GB? I will not know a soul once I get there.

One thing I love about ND is the friendly people and laid back atmosphere. I am hoping that GB can offer me the same, just in a new setting!

Any suggestions on areas to live would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 04:22 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I'm going to ask the obvious question, do you have a job lined up in the area already? Things are rough everywhere in the job area and NE Wisconsin has been hit hard like other places.

I think you'll find friendly people, but there are always pros and cons on that depending who you ask. I don't live in the Green Bay area so I can't help with where you should search.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:16 PM

61 posts, read 185,923 times
I prefer Appleton. I live in Appleton, but work in Green Bay.
My wife and I are 23, and just bought a house in Appleton. Appleton housing is extremely cheap compared to Green Bay, they also have WE Energies, which is one of the cheapest energy companies in America. Appleton has a better down town, is much, much safer and has better retail and food. Not to mention the 3rd largest farmers market in the state!

Since you mentioned nothing about a job...
If you're looking for an semi-skilled, decent paying ($28k+) job I would recommend looking at jobs within UnitedHealth Group like Ingenix, or Ovations.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 PM

Thank you for your input so far. My work is in the hospitality industry and am hoping that it will not be too hard to find a management position in GB, Appleton or Sturgeon Bay at a hotel/resort. I am not planning on moving until June-ish, so I have some time. How is the commute from Appleton, pretty easy and about 20 mins? What are your thoughts on Sturgeon Bay...summers exciting, winters dead? Ndheah, do you find that there are others young professionals around?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
First, I'd make sure you have a job lined up before you move. The economy isn't the worst in NE Wisconsin, but isn't the best either. And seeing that you're from North Dakota, I'm assuming the winters won't be a difficult change.

Personally, I think Appleton is better for young singles. I live in the Green Bay area (De Pere) and love where I live, but I'm 41 years old, and have five kids, so that's a different story. If you do happen to find a job in Appleton, there's lots of areas to live in, and more young singles compared to Green Bay. Green Bay doesn't have a very good nightlife scene, either. Regarding Sturgeon Bay, the summer is a good time to live there, but during the winter it is pretty dead. Your best bet for hotel jobs is probably Appleton. Sturgeon Bay is a possibility, but like I said, the winters are pretty dead. Hope this helps!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Another vote for Appleton, both for a social life and work. And shopping.

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I will look into Appleton!

Old 12-06-2009, 05:44 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I was just curious and asked about the job situation because a news feature I saw about how well things are going in ND compared to other states, that people are relocating there because jobs are available.

Right now, employment is crucial with current conditions. Check into payroll taxes how much ND takes out and how Wisc. takes out, plus living expenses.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:57 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
I seen that ND was on the better hand for things as well like Susan mentioned. I'd really do your research prior to moving.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:15 PM

You are correct that ND has not been hit as hard by current economic issues. We are very rich in natural resources with many jobs in oil fields, coal mines, wind farms, etc. Hence our low unemployment rate.

Don't worry, I would not move without a job secured in my new destination. Not sure about taxes, I will look into that. As for cost of living, I live in Bismarck, ND now and pay $550 for a one bedroom apt (nothing special or new). Seems as though apartments, at least, are equal or lesser in price in WI.

It's just that I have lived here since I was 7 and graduated college here. I have done my fairshare of traveling and lived in WA for 2 years(couldn't take the rain and gloom). I love ND, it's a great place to raise a family. I, however, am not ready to be back here yet. I need to experience something new!! I've always wanted to live in San Diego....but their economy and cost of living seems outrageous. My next choices were WI and CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin