Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

765 posts, read 2,439,996 times

Advertisements

I'm hesitant on buying due to the economy and the number of homes on the market. I'm not sure I want to buy a home and if things don't work out then we will be stuck with a house..... My husband is selling the move by pointing out the great deals on so many homes. I have to say that the lakefront properties I've seen are a bit convincing.

What are the pros and cons lake living or acreage living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 AM

69 posts, read 194,082 times
Default Pros vs cons

Keep in mind Green Bay and the Fox Valley is still an industrial based economy. If either you or your husband have secured jobs, especially professional you should go ahead and purchase a bay view home. Those homes should always hold value and even go up in value if the economy falters.
If you are not professional this will be riskier since this area has started to see a waning of skilled and semi-skilled labor in the last twenty years. There are no high paying job trends moving to the area to replace the manufacturing sector, say like technology. There are a fair number of medical jobs but it's not growing. About the only major expansion has been call center positions which are generally low paying.
If the paper industry starts down sizing this area will be devastated, so follow business news carefully.
As an aside do some searching on this board. There have been many threads about the lack of culture and beer drinking society of the Fox Valley area.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Media....THANKS for the reply!!! I've been checking my post for the last week and finally someone posted!

Yes, my husband is a professional and will have a big job - if we decide to go. I don't plan on working. My point in not buying a home is due to risk....meaning, if we really don't like the area, or if he doesn't like the position or they don't like him at the new job....I really don't want to be stuck with a home in Green Bay. I am hoping I can convince him to rent for the first year.

We are young empty nesters - early 40's, and I have to say after living in BIG metropolitian areas for the last 10 years I'm not jacked about moving. But, it is a career move, and I'm pretty good at putting a positive spin on life.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM

365 posts, read 1,009,903 times
Why not rent for the first 6 months to a year? It would be much easier for you to move & quicker as well if you find you are not happy there. Besides that, renting will give you time to better figure out which neighborhoods you'd prefer to live in, should you decide you want to stay for the long haul. My biggest issue would be moving more then once, since I hate moving. You sound very unsure about the whole situation, while it seems maybe your husband just figures everything will be just fine. If you can, take a trip or two to the area to get a feel for it. I've always found that has helped me get a better idea about my feeling for a place.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 AM

Can any one give me zip codes of nice "bay view" areas to look for rentals or homes for sale....or for the Fox Valley areas?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:17 PM

39 posts, read 128,410 times
I'd go with Bay view over any in the Fox Valley on Lake Winnebago. There is something special about sitting and looking out at the bay. I don't know any zip codes, but the east side of Green Bay towards Door County is very nice.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Hiker - thanks - I actually saw a place for rent on the east side of the bay, that was actually on the shore. It was amazing. It's encouraging to read the posts! Thanks for your advice!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 12,965 times
Bay Settlement road has many nice houses with views. The zip code is 54311

Old 02-06-2010, 04:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingInfo View Post
Bay Settlement road has many nice houses with views. The zip code is 54311
I was just about to post that. If you have kids, there is also is a great public school near there (Red Smith) that's k-8th grades.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Empty nesters actually - but if we end up buying, a good school district is a great plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin