Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:31 PM

13 posts, read 82,553 times

Advertisements

Are the people in southern WI (Madison, Milwaukee, etc) obsessed with the Packers like the people in the Fox Cities area. I'm a Colts fan considering moving from TX to Madison and hoping to make some friends, lol. I grew up near Appleton and I know that it is almost a crime to dislike the Packers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:06 PM

102 posts, read 584,601 times
Well, I hate to dissuade you from relocating to WI, but I'd have to say the packer obsession is pretty much state wide. I haven't lived in WI for 20 plus years and I'm still a packer fan. On the plus side, I would also say that Milwaukee in particular and also Madison are large enough that there are many people who actually don't care about football or a least are accepting of those with other allegiences. As a Colts fan, I don't think you will have a problem, now a Bears fans, well....that could be a problem!!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 PM

537 posts, read 1,932,749 times
We moved to central WI 20 years ago from Chicago. My husband has always loved the Bears and I have loved the Packers. Even as a kid growing up in Chicago I loved the Packers. But I don't find that people are obsessed fans around here. A lot of people are out and doing other things on game day. And my hubby wears his Bear sweatshirt and no one says anything, not when they were losing or winning.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,850,901 times
Oh yes, the obsession is real. They live,eat and breath Packers and especially Brett Favre.

DH & I are, of course, Patriots fans. This does not make us popular but it's not as bad as Bears or Vikings fans. It's all in fun though and once the Packers are eliminated, again, things pretty much settle down again.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:03 AM

324 posts, read 1,523,212 times
LoL...grew up just outside milwaukee for 15 years & I am a bears fan...always have been...and the funny thing is, dad's side of family has packer season tix....

Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 AM

386 posts, read 1,324,706 times
Out here in NH football is king. These people are so over the top that church services are early enough to watch the games. One church has it services from Sept -February at 9 and then from March-August at 10:30. The streets and malls are empty. We like to go out to eat when a game is on because the restaurants are empty or it is us and a few tourists.
My nephew was here and he had on a Colts sweatshirt last year and I thought they would lynch him. I told him if he comes out this year to leave all Colts items at home!
When we go to Bayfield, if people are fans they are low key. I think being close to MN they have a good share of Viking fans too. But no one will turn down an invitation to go to a museum or out to eat because the Packers or Vikings are playing. We have gone to Packer and Viking fans and have found the fans to all be very nice, family oriented, a great experience. We have gone to Jets and Patriots games and found the fans rude, lots of beer spilling. I know it was when the Jets were losing so maybe they had an excuse. But we went to Patriot games probably 3 times in the last 4 years and found the fans so annoying. They were ready to fight with anyone who wasn't wearing Patriots apparel.
Can you tell we can't wait to get back to the peace and quiet of the midwest???

Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 AM

537 posts, read 1,932,749 times
Da Bears we were the opposite of you. I grew up in Chicago as a Packer fan. This was back in the late 60s and early 70s. But my uncle's sister in law was a secretary for Hallas and we always had tickets to everything for the Bears. And we would go to Green Bay and stay in the hotel with the Bears. My brother and Dad were Bear fans though so they balanced us out.
Now I go to a few Packer games a year and my husband goes to Chicago to see the Bears. But he has an easier time because as soon and the Bears start losing Soldier Field is a ghost town. Packer fans fill the stadium win or lose. My sister got on the Packer waiting list in 1968 and finally got tickets in 1999. My brother in law got Bear season tickets back in 1994 with no wait.
Packer fans are loyal. That's what I love. And I love going to Soldier Field when the Bears are losing their fans are so nasty it is too funny for words. We have so much fun with them.
I am a life long Cubs fan so I know about losing!!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:06 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,076,690 times
Here in Madison there are students from all over the country so we do see some poor deluded folks who honestly believe there are teams other than the Packers but for the most part this is Packer country.

However, when it comes to baseball, I too am a lifelong Cub fan...as was my father before me. He spent his entire life waiting for it to be the Cubbie's year. Looks like I'm going to have to do the same.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 PM

653 posts, read 3,398,621 times
IT is NOT a requirement to be a Packers fan, just to reside in Wisconsin. Nor is it a requirement to be an alcholic to live there. You can even loathe brats and cheese and still live there. Just don't move to Appleton if you tend to be on the, shall we say "Liberal Side". THAT WOULD be an issue for you!!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 AM

781 posts, read 1,611,750 times
I grew up in Madison, and of course we rooted for the Packers, even though I had no idea who was on the team many times. (They were so bad for so long, nobody knew!)

When Da Bears went to the Super Bowl, (1985) I know myself included with many others were really hoping they would win. A bunch of us went to Chicago to watch the game in a bar.

My brother lived and breathed the Packers as a kid. Then lived in Boston for over 10 years after college. Now he likes the Pats & GB. I just moved to Pittsburgh, and the Steeler fans are as diehard as the Packer fans.

It's just a game, but one of my favorite lines ever regarding the Green Bay Packers had something to do with; Green Bay is the only town where you can ask an 80 year old grandmother who is on the disabled list and she will know more than ESPN.

It is a very unique situation to have an NFL team in a small town. It doesn't mean you have to be a fan, just don't bad mouth them in public. I'd never diss the Steelers because I moved to Pittsburgh!

What would be the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin