U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM

13 posts, read 33,130 times
Default Homeless

There are many homeless people that have no shelter to turn to. Where is the biggest population of homeless in Wisconsin? And if there are large numbers of homeless in a specific area, would you like to see a shelter opened up to get them off the streets? So many people have fallen on hard times. Single people, families and veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM

3,321 posts, read 2,853,406 times
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Milwaukee, since they have the highest pop. If I ever became homeless, I would do everything in my power to be so in a warmer climate. If I had to walk or hitch a ride...whatever it took...you would find me being a bag lady by the ocean.

Actually if I was really homeless, after doing everything in my power to get back on my feet, I would probably jump off the nearest bridge, (I would hitch to the Golden Gate and do it in style) since I believe those that seek out help can get it.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Gold Dust1...Thanks for your reply.
Warmer weather would be dream for most of the homeless people. But statistics show that homeless people that can't find shelter from the cold are found frozen to park benches, or in the doorways of business where they are trying to say warm.
There are actually some homeless people who are homeless by no choice of their own. They have lost everything they own, and have too much pride to bother their children, or other family members. Then there are the homeless veterans that are tossed to the wayside not only by their own country, but by their own families.
It is my goal to help those who want to be helped. To be able to give them the second chance that I believe they need. To help educate them on being able to survive on less, help those who want to be helped with their addictions, and help them seek employment so they can become productive citizens again. I understand that there are those that choose to be homeless, but there are also those that don't, but there aren't enough programs for them to enter.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM

652 posts, read 810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Cavallone View Post
Gold Dust1...Thanks for your reply.
Warmer weather would be dream for most of the homeless people. But statistics show that homeless people that can't find shelter from the cold are found frozen to park benches, or in the doorways of business where they are trying to say warm.
There are actually some homeless people who are homeless by no choice of their own. They have lost everything they own, and have too much pride to bother their children, or other family members. Then there are the homeless veterans that are tossed to the wayside not only by their own country, but by their own families.
It is my goal to help those who want to be helped. To be able to give them the second chance that I believe they need. To help educate them on being able to survive on less, help those who want to be helped with their addictions, and help them seek employment so they can become productive citizens again. I understand that there are those that choose to be homeless, but there are also those that don't, but there aren't enough programs for them to enter.
Have you ever volunteered at a homeless shelter?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Not at a shelter, but I have done charity work before. Giving to and visiting elderly people in nursing homes where their families just put them there and forgot about them. I would spend time and visit with them and bring them small gifts to let them know that they weren't forgotten.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM

854 posts, read 804,890 times
It's been awhile, but I never recall seeing homeless in Wisconsin. They are everywhere on the entire west coast.
If I was homeless in Wisconsin in the winter I'd walk to the nearest heated barn & sleep. When the farmer finds me in the morning I'd say - how about I help you milk your cows for another warm nights sleep & some fresh milk from the cooler over there?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,853,406 times
Nope plenty of homeless in WI. Madisons "Isthmus" paper just ran an article about a mens shelter last week. I should find a link. Deplorable conditons and uncaring workers reported. One poor mentally ill guy got turned away because he had scabies and lice, but a woman involved with the shelter became his good samaritan and he has went on to find an apt.

I didn't mean to sound so cavalier in my first post. It is a serious and complex problem and the mentally ill especially fall through the cracks. I was saying that for myself able bodied and all, with my wits about me, I don't think I would find myself in that situation but I should never say never.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 AM

everwinter - Thing is, I never used to see the homeless, but I was never looking for them either. You would be surprised how many people just don't want anything to do with them. I believe in this day and age, everyone can use some help. I don't have much to offer, but I am going to give it my all to help those that I can.

Gold*dust1 - I didn't think you sounded cavalier. I would like to say I would have never found myself in that situation too. But it does happen to the best of people. I almost found myself homeless a few times with 5 children due to lost jobs. I lived in Illinois and went to apply for public assistance, just something to get us by until employment could be secured, something to help me feed my children. Only to be turned away. Long story, don't want to bore anyone with it. But what I am trying to say, is that the system fails those in need as well. I feel I have a calling to help the homeless. I don't want government help. I just want Americans helping Americans. Maybe we can make a difference one homeless at a time.

If you could find a link to that article, I would really appreciate it. It would be interesting to read. It is a shame that any human being be treated like that. Deplorable conditions and uncaring workers....it just shouldn't be that way.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM

7,707 posts, read 6,220,589 times
There are homeless in Green Bay, according to news reports. There is a shelter, and I remember a report on neighborhood concerns about one expanding.

I'm not sure if there are homeless where I am, maybe in Manitowoc, Two Rivers is on the small side and they generally go where there is a bigger population.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 AM

I can understand neighborhood concerns about homeless. but I don't understand their concern about a shelter either opening or expanding. Wouldn't they rather see the homeless off the streets? Wouldn't they want to see them helped so that they may become model, productive citizens again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin