Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:14 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times

Advertisements

Hello

Would like to ask if anyone on this forum has any information about Superior Wisconsin?
I would especially like to know how the economy is doing there. But any information about Superior you can give me is much appreciated.

baystater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 07:11 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,309 times
Of all the cities in Wisconsin, Superior would be the LAST city I would want to live in. I should say One Of The Last, right there with Kenosha and Racine. Wheras Racine and Kenosha still have a viable economy with prospects of employment for most people--Superior is a decaying, dieing city. It has lost population over the years, very few jobs, the city has a lot of "run-down" areas. I would STRONGLY suggest that any one considering a relocation there--DON'T do it sight unseen!! Winter weather there is probably the harshest in the state due to it's location on the Western side of Lake Superior. Duluth Minnesota (Superior's neighbor), is MUCH nicer, but has increasing crime and city budget problems. My advice would be for you to consider Madison, La Crosse, Eau Claire, maybe Wasaua. Also the Fox Valley is worth considering ( if conservatism isn't an issue with you). Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Of all the cities in Wisconsin, Superior would be the LAST city I would want to live in. I should say One Of The Last, right there with Kenosha and Racine. Wheras Racine and Kenosha still have a viable economy with prospects of employment for most people--Superior is a decaying, dieing city. It has lost population over the years, very few jobs, the city has a lot of "run-down" areas. I would STRONGLY suggest that any one considering a relocation there--DON'T do it sight unseen!! Winter weather there is probably the harshest in the state due to it's location on the Western side of Lake Superior. Duluth Minnesota (Superior's neighbor), is MUCH nicer, but has increasing crime and city budget problems. My advice would be for you to consider Madison, La Crosse, Eau Claire, maybe Wasaua. Also the Fox Valley is worth considering ( if conservatism isn't an issue with you). Good Luck!
How bad is it?? I am potientally relocating to Superior from New Zealand to play for their local football team the Superior Stampede, i've checked it out briefly, no pictures, any info would be appreicated + the weather?? I checked out weather.com and it didnt look good

Im looking to get out of New Zealand and think that this is my first big step.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 AM

9 posts, read 52,755 times
yeah, the weather is not good. the city itself is run down, although it wouldn't be my absolute last choice. if i was moving there for a job, i would definitely live in duluth, mn and commute. duluth is absolutely beautiful (still crappy weather though) and is loaded with recreation options. although, you're from nz, so it's all relative i guess.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 AM

653 posts, read 3,408,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
How bad is it?? I am potientally relocating to Superior from New Zealand to play for their local football team the Superior Stampede, i've checked it out briefly, no pictures, any info would be appreicated + the weather?? I checked out weather.com and it didnt look good

How bad is it? Having lived in Wisconsin for over 40 years, I am at least somewhat familiar with most of it's medium sized cities. Without a doubt in my mind---Superior is the LAST Wisconsin city that I would choose to live in. The best way to put it, is simply this: Superior is NOT a pretty picture. As stated however, Superior's Minnesota neighbor, DULUTH is a different story. A lot more to offer there. Winters in the Superior/Duluth area are long, gray and COLD. Summers warm, short. Fall is pretty but by late October it is already cold. Northern Wisconsin is very nice. Quiet, beautiful, lots of recreation. Superior however, is that one nasty WART that kind of spoils the otherwise attractive surface!!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post

Some people have touched briefly on the weather, but I don't think they've emphasized it enough. I don't know how much you've traveled and what times of year you've done it, but the winters in the Duluth/Superior area (and most of the northern U.S. for that matter) are nothing like you've experienced in New Zealand. The average overnight low temperature in Superior in January is -18 degrees celsius. And you'll have plenty of days where it never even gets that warm, and plenty of nights that get down to 25 below or colder. Be prepared!

Others have noted Superior is not exactly a pretty place, and a major consideration is job prospects. I don't know what your pay is going to be playing for the Superior Stampede, but I strongly suspect it will not be enough to live on. That would mean lining up work for the off-season and that's where Superior (and even neighborhing Duluth to some extent) fall short. Finally, others have suggested living in Duluth instead of Superior because Duluth is less of a crumbling pit... but the downside is that housing costs are considerably higher in Duluth.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Some people have touched briefly on the weather, but I don't think they've emphasized it enough. I don't know how much you've traveled and what times of year you've done it, but the winters in the Duluth/Superior area (and most of the northern U.S. for that matter) are nothing like you've experienced in New Zealand. The average overnight low temperature in Superior in January is -18 degrees celsius. And you'll have plenty of days where it never even gets that warm, and plenty of nights that get down to 25 below or colder. Be prepared!

Others have noted Superior is not exactly a pretty place, and a major consideration is job prospects. I don't know what your pay is going to be playing for the Superior Stampede, but I strongly suspect it will not be enough to live on. That would mean lining up work for the off-season and that's where Superior (and even neighborhing Duluth to some extent) fall short. Finally, others have suggested living in Duluth instead of Superior because Duluth is less of a crumbling pit... but the downside is that housing costs are considerably higher in Duluth.
Yeah our winters arn't that bad, today is considered the worst day of winter so far and its only 41F with a windchill of 24F, so I'm not looking forward to this winter prospect.

Thanks for the info

Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 16,931 times
I'll agree that our winters are definately cold and snowy. As far as the rest I have to disagree somewhat. Yes our economy is not great but it isn't great in most places right now. There are some run down areas just like any town. There is also nice areas. Stay south of Belknap St. for starters. There are "good" and "bad" parts in every neighborhood in Superior. For instance, if you are around the campus area, the houses in the Hayes Court area are nice and around Highgate St are nice and very quiet area. Billings Park has some run down houses (especially in the business district) but there are a lot of nice areas and newer houses also. East End/Central Park has a mix of old historical houses and new housing developments (east 7,8,9 and 10th toward nemadji river). South Superior (past Target and Walmart on 35) is a pretty quiet area. There are older houses and newer houses. Stardust Estates is all new houses (which is actually the village of superior). All newer houses by the golf course too. I would say most of the people in South End keep up their properties pretty well.

You cannot compare Superior to southern WI. For one, Superior/Duluth are industrial towns due to being on the lake. Also,
because it is not as large as most of those mentioned in the other posts and doesn't have a lot of other neighboring cities/towns around it. If you continue south through South superior, it is totally rural, if you go SE on 2 and 53 it too becomes rural. If you want to be in a country setting 10 minutes from town, than Superior is GREAT! You can go 8 mins south on 35 or 5 minutes down hwy 105 or through East End on Hwy 2/53 7 minutes and be in the country...Lots of beautiful land and tons of new houses being built all the time!

As far as safety, I would feel much safer in Superior than Duluth, MN. Most of the crime we've had in Superior (which isn't a lot) actually comes from Duluth residents that have crossed the border. The crime rates in Duluth are much higher. Duluth IS bigger and there is nice areas there for sure but it is more spread out than Superior and there is WAY more low income housing and run down areas in Duluth-Gary, most of west Duluth, Central Hillside, Lincoln Park (just to name a few) are all awful areas in Duluth! Iwould not feel safe walking around Lake avenue at night and nowhere around either hospital is safe by anymeans!!!! My car stereo was stolen out of my car by the hospital at 10am!

Also, and most importantly: Our schools in Superior are highly rated. The Superior school district is way better than Duluth which is constantly changing for the worst (look it up). Superior schools are smaller, less kids in class (SAGE program) and no changing cut-off areas and moving kids from one school from another due to budget cuts. I know people that have moved from Duluth to Superior for that reason.

One thing I will say though is that our property taxes are higher than Duluth but Duluth's home prices are higher so it kind of evens out. (Duluth's rent is also higher)

I would suggest renting an apt. for a while and feeling it out. You'll get a pretty good idea without having to committ to a certain area. Good luck to you and hope this helps!

Last edited by mamagean119; 03-01-2011 at 09:19 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM

328 posts, read 654,877 times
it'd be interesting to compare property taxes and other things like that between superior and duluth. i assume duluth is more, since their so close though, could you stand driving a few miles to save hundreds of dollars a year ?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM

437 posts, read 815,708 times
I agree with most here, I would NEVER live in Superior. It's dirty, old, rundown and gross. Duluth, on the other hand, is supurb in comparison. Crime rate? Where isn't there crime? Hopefully most people are smart enough not to hang with criminals and the like.

As for winter, it will take time to get acclimated for sure., but it can be done. Just dress appropriately.

I would think if you are an outdoors type perosn you would love the area (Duluth and north of there) for the many outdoor activities that are available. Lots of great hiking, skiing, etc. I live about an hour south of Superior and enjoy very much going to Duluth and north for a day of hiking and dining in Duluth.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin