Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 PM

26 posts, read 121,206 times

Advertisements

We have an oppportunity to move to Wauwatosa but don't know anything about it. Before we decide we were hoping for some more info. We have 2 little ones (under 5) and are wondering about housing, family life/activities...safety etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any city info in close proximity. Commuting isn't a problem for the right location if not too far seeing as how gas prices don't help.

Thanks!

Last edited by pandagal; 06-02-2007 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandagal View Post
We have an oppportunity to move to Wauwatosa but don't know anything about it. Before we decide we were hoping for some more info. We have 2 little ones (under 5) and are wondering about housing, family life/activities...safety etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any city info in close proximity. Commuting isn't a problem for the right location if not too far seeing as how gas prices don't help.

Thanks!
I think given your situation, overall you would be very happy with Wauwatosa...it is a really neat town / a great suburb to Milwaukee metro.

First off, commuting won't be an issue really in Wauwatosa, except that during rush hour, you are in the "heart" of the rush hour so it can be congested.

Wauwatosa is fairly safe...you may wish to avoid the areas that directly divide Milwaukee and Tosa around North Avenue's area (around 60th and North)...however, most anywhere else in Wauwatosa, it is relatively safe and nice for being in the thick of a large metro area.

Wauwatosa in many respects feels a nice "part of Milwaukee" in that it truly is meshed closely right up against Milwaukee. Thus, without traffic, you are only 10-to-15 minutes from downtown Milwaukee. Access to areas of the metro is very good in 'Tosa...the accessibility to highways I-94 and I-45 is good.

The current nicest mall in Wisconsin is located in Wauwatosa - Mayfair Mall (although Bayshore Mall in Glendale is a close competitor to niceness). Wauwatosa has two public high schools - East and West - do not know much about them. It also is right on the border of two pretty nice private high schools - Pius (Catholic) and Wisconsin Lutheran.

There are nice restaurants (especially around the Mayfair Mall area as well as the 68th and State area) and parks / open spaces. If you like to run or bike, there is a nice Honey Creek area for running in a wooded area.

Housing is semi-pricey, but not outrageous compared to Milwaukee's North Shore or Lake Country suburbs. You can find deals. Homes are typically nice but older, as Wauwatosa is a relatively older, established suburb. I would say the typical price for a home in Wauwatosa is in the $190 - $250K range, surely with much higher priced houses also available.

Wauwatosa is a fairly urban suburb. Due to its age and proximity in the heart of the Milwaukee metropolitan area, again, it truly feels like a more established part of Milwaukee than many of the suburbs...(eg: you won't find massive lots generally or farmland, etc., in 'Tosa).

Wauwatosa is very nice. Frankly, I would rate it easily in one of the top 5 suburbs (personally) to pursue living in in the Milwaukee Metro area...family / young kids especially.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM

Talking Super Thanks enjoyEP!

HUGE THANKS enjoyEP!! I have been trying to read through so many threads to see what I could find out and where a good place to live would be with easy access to 'Tosa. You really helped me alot. My husband would be working in 'Tosa, so if we could live there that would be great. A small commute would be ok too. But sounds like the schools and area have alot to offer right there and the pricing you mentioned is right about the range we are wanting to be in. My husband is handy so a little older isn't a problem, he completely remodeled our current home, so updating another shouldn't be a problem. We are just hoping that in that range we wouldn't be in a 'less desireable' section of town. And we love that almost all the houses have basements.

Thanks so much for your info!

Last edited by pandagal; 06-04-2007 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 37,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandagal View Post

Thanks!
Hi, my husband and I bought a home and lived in Wauwatosa for 2 1/2 years. For the most part I agree with the comments posted on Tosa. First of all, with kids I would make sure you try to stay west of 76th street. My husband is a police officer and we checked the police reports to see what the neighborhoods were like and determined that west of 76th was had the fewest reports and was the safest. Please don't think east of that is horrible, it is not. In fact we lived right on 61st street but I wasn't very comfortable living there once we had our baby. I would have rather been 10 or so more blocks west.

Tosa is very centrally located - very close to downtown, and right next to the baseball stadium, the zoo, many parks etc. and Tosa itself has a cute downtown village area. It is definitely cheaper than other areas of Milwaukee. The one thing I would caution is prepare yourself for the property taxes and the small lots. Property taxes in Tosa are reasonable (compared with the North Shore area) - but to an outsider they may seem high. Plan on $2500 to $3500, possibly higher for a home in the range of the previous comment. Also, as an older suburb, it is primarily older housing on smaller city lots - so if you envision a huge back yard, you will not get that.

You won't have to worry at all about being in a "less desireable area". You'll find plenty of options in the nicer areas. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Smile Thanks Adair....

Thanks for your insight. My husband is partial to a larger yard....that is his 'sanity' from work stress. I don't know that we are looking for the 'city feel' so now I'm not sure that's the place we want to be.
We live in Illinois now, so property taxes aren't a big shock to us....WI seems to be a little lower.
Any ideas for another area that's not too far away with reasonable priced houses and not such a 'city feel'? I would say within 1/2 hour commute. We're not burbs people per se (and certainly not with the home prices up there..you get a little more bang for your buck here) but with little ones we're not really city people either if you know what I mean. We just want a nice community with things to do and a nice yard for the children to play in without traffic in every direction.

Any advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin